MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Cowichan Bay Fire Chief Retires

I met Chief Ferguson once or twice, during multi-station training seminars. Congratulations on Time Served and a well EARNED retirement, Chief.

Ferguson retiring as fire chief at Cowichan Bay department

By Jeff BellJanuary 3, 2009 3:05 AM

Dave Ferguson will continue as deputy commissioner.

His plan was to go quietly, but his proud family made sure he didn't get away without some public recognition. Daughter Cathy King said the department has been "absolutely huge" in her family's life and a true passion for her father, who works in a similar field with his day job at the Office of the Fire Commissioner in Victoria.

Ferguson, 62, will continue in his role there as deputy commissioner.

"He's been getting his firehall fix at work and at play," King laughed.

Everyone in the Cowichan Bay department, including the chief, is a volunteer, Ferguson said.

"It really does vary, but somebody suggested that I probably put in an average of 20 additional hours a week related to the firehall."

Being the child of a firefighter has been special, King said.

"I've had 35 additional parents since I was eight. They're not only firefighters, it's very family-oriented. In a true sense, it's a firehall family."

Her own family connection to the firehall remains strong thanks to her brother, Cam, a longtime firefighter who now becomes deputy chief, and her husband, Mike, who has just passed the 10-year mark with the department.

"It's kind of a neat scenario going on for our family right now," King said.

Ferguson said he is "blessed" that both his son and son-in-law are part of the team. His 10-year-old grandson is eager to join, as well.

Stepping back from the department will give him more time to spend with his wife, Ferguson said.

His last day as chief was Wednesday.

"I think there's others who have earned the opportunity to assume the leadership role. I've thoroughly enjoyed it, but there comes a time when it's time to move on."

Ken Bulcock has moved up from deputy chief to succeed Ferguson.

Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Photocredit:
    Photograph by: Bruce Stotesbury, Times ColonistDave Ferguson has doffed his helmet for the final time after 27 years of volunteer service at the Cowichan Bay Fire Department, the last nine as chief.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information