MembersZone Subscriber

Default Caterpillar Engine Issues

There was some talk that got masked in another thread regarding issues with 2007 Caterpillar engines. Can anyone elaborate on the issues plaguing these engines and where I might be able to find more info?

Thanks

Forum Member

If I recall it had something to do with the C9 and casting issues. (It's been a while but Caterpillar did have some issues with one of their engines)

Forum Member

Default Caterpillar 07 Issues

The "07" C13 has several issues:

1. Recall on the air compressor head that causes water to get sucked into the cylinders and locks us the motor.

2. Leaking headgaskets that let small amounts of water in the combustion cylinder cause the engines to run erratic and loose power.

3. Leaking headgasket that let enough water in the motor it locks up.

4. Truck go in regeneration mode and derate the engine power. Once regeneration mode is run it will not let the motor come up to full power. "The engine thinks the DPF needs to be replaced".

I have not heard of a problem with the C-9 just the C-13

Forum Member

Default I did find this.....

Not sure if this would apply to your KME but it may be worth calling and checking into. It seems to apply to a lot of different manufacturers from what I could see not just the big "P".

PIERCE IS RECALLING 76 MY 2007-2008 ARROW XT AND VELOCITY FIRE TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH CATERPILLAR C13 DIESEL ENGINES. THE EXTENSION PIPES ATTACHED TO THE AFTERTREATMENT REGENERATION DEVICE (ARD) MAY DEVELOP A HOLE, AND HEAT AND FLAME MAY ESCAPE DURING A REGENERATION OF THE DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER.

Forum Member

FD83,I BELIEVE your #4.I believe the DPF needs to be replaced. WITH A STRAIGHT PIECE OF PIPE,hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Default Rescue 101 "Straight Pipe"

Can you elaborate on this?

How will adding a straight pipe correct the problem since the "DPF" is tied into the Engine Computer?

Always wanting to learn!

Forum Member

Yeah,I'll elaborate.Don't try to outthink the process.The a**holes that think this s**t up should try responding to an emergency with the vehicle in "retarded"mode.That would fix the problem pretty quick.The straight pipe comment refers to doing away with the GD DPF and ALL it's associated BS and running a NORMAL FIRETRUCK exhaust.Like I have on my new ladder,soon to be delivered.We on the same page now? T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Spoke to the dealer today.

There is an issue with the purge air check valve that may cause problems with acceleration/power and the regeneration process.

We have power/acceleration issues, occasional rough idling, check engine and engine diagnostic fail lights, after 5000+ miles and 600+ engine hours it has not once regenerated......etc

Forum Member

Is it a C9 or C13?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Yeah,I'll elaborate.Don't try to outthink the process.The a**holes that think this s**t up should try responding to an emergency with the vehicle in "retarded"mode...T.C.
    So contact your local democratic wacko legislator?

MembersZone Subscriber

FYI. 2007 C9 400HP with Allison EVS3000 Trans. Built by KME

Forum Member

Default dpf delete

We're going to do that to our ISM 500....that dpf will look nice sitting on the shelf

Forum Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but last I knew, for some reason the ISM 500 did not have a DPF...

Forum Member

Which is what DVC and I are alluding to.My new Tower(with ISM 500)doesn't have one of the damn things either.Just another UNNECESSARY piece of s**t to fail(the DPE).Neiowa,my local legislators are on board with doing away with a lot of this unnecessary BS,it's the nimrods in DC that are clueless. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    Spoke to the dealer today.

There is an issue with the purge air check valve that may cause problems with acceleration/power and the regeneration process.

We have power/acceleration issues, occasional rough idling, check engine and engine diagnostic fail lights, after 5000+ miles and 600+ engine hours it has not once regenerated......etc
    Mike - Have you talked to Tom Holl at Ransome Power at all. He is the sales person who calls on KME. I have met him on several occasions. He is very knowledgeable and has been quite helpful to me.

Forum Member

Just received my latest issue of "TMC (Technology and Maintenance Council, American Trucking Associations) Fleet Advisor." It lists recalls by Crane Carrier, Paccar (Kenworth and Peterbilt) and Pierce, all for the same thing. It involves vehicles equipped with C13 engines.

"The extension pipes attached to the aftertreatment regeneration device may develop a hole, and heat and flame may escape during a regeneration of the diesel particulate filter. This may result in a fire hazard. Crane Carrier (Paccar)(Pierce) is working with Caterpillar to repair these vehicles. Owners may contact Caterpillar at (800) 447-4986 or (Pierce) at (920) 832-3000."

There is another recall by Crane Carrier and Paccar with respect to C7 and C9 engines. "The fuel pump outlet check plug may be cracked which could cause fuel to spray and leak. Fuel leakage, in the presence of an ignition source, could result in a fire. Crane Carrier (Paccar) is working with Caterpillar. Caterpillar will replace the fuel pump plug free of charge."

On both of these, I wouldn't be surprised to see recalls from just about anyone who installed these engines.

There is yet a third recall from Paccar having to do with "inadequate stiffness of the DPF bracket." I don't know if that's a Paccar part or a Caterpillar part, but the notice refers to certain models of Kenworths and Peterbilts. It doesn't specify any particular engines, but it goes on to say, "Paccar is working with Caterpillar to repair these vehicles."
    Last edited by chiefengineer11; 01-06-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Forum Member

A neighboring dept has a pre-'07 C9 that was acting really strange. It would "miss" when cold and go away once it reached operating temp. It has since been fixed. If this is what you you are referring to I can investigate further if you'd like.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleEVT View Post
    A neighboring dept has a pre-'07 C9 that was acting really strange. It would "miss" when cold and go away once it reached operating temp. It has since been fixed. If this is what you you are referring to I can investigate further if you'd like.
    I'd like to hear the solution. I have some folks that I call on (didn't sell them the rig) that have a pre-07 C9 that is giving them fits, especially cold.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

I'll call them tomorrow and get the details.

Forum Member

Wink

dakotafireguy: FYI the Cummins is available with or without the DPF. This will end with the 2010 motors. Credits can only go so far!

Forum Member

Correct- Our new engine/tanker that we ordered last month does not have a DPF. I dont know why a truck would be ordered with one if it could be avoided.

Forum Member

Okay, the C9 I mentioned had a couple of injectors replaced and the fuel mapping was reprogrammed. The symptoms sounded like a gas engine when you have moisture in the distributor cap and it misses on acceleration. Apparently it's all good now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info so far.

I have spoken to Ransome (John Kennedy). Still waiting for him to send me info I asked for. Our KME dealer is going to make arrangements to get it in for work.

Thread Information