MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ideas for 2009 Training Grant

I have been successful on three AFG grants to date. I am looking at starting on next years. I am thinking about some training information. I know the number one priority for training is instructor lead, that leads to a national cert. We are fortunate in Iowa that we can receive almost free training through the Fire Service Training Bureau in the state. They over many courses that are instructor lead with national certifications. I am looking at something to help with our monthly training in house. I have looked at some of what company's like ActionTraining offers as far as computer based training. They have topics like First On Scene, Fire Simulators complete FF1 and FF2 etc.

My questions is has anyone been successful with these types of training grants or would it be a waste of time????

Stay Safe,

JS

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JSMV72 View Post
    I have been successful on three AFG grants to date. I am looking at starting on next years. I am thinking about some training information. I know the number one priority for training is instructor lead, that leads to a national cert. We are fortunate in Iowa that we can receive almost free training through the Fire Service Training Bureau in the state. They over many courses that are instructor lead with national certifications. I am looking at something to help with our monthly training in house. I have looked at some of what company's like ActionTraining offers as far as computer based training. They have topics like First On Scene, Fire Simulators complete FF1 and FF2 etc.

My questions is has anyone been successful with these types of training grants or would it be a waste of time????

Stay Safe,

JS
    You kind of answered your own question there when you stated "I know the number one priority for training is instructor lead, that leads to a national cert. " However, you need to read the rest of the paragraph where that is discussed in the PG which states:

" In implementing the fire service's recommendations concerning AFG, DHS has determined that the most benefit is derived from training that is instructor-led and hands-on that leads to a nationally sanctioned or State certification. Training requests that include web-based home study or distance learning, and the purchase of training materials, equipment, or props are a lower priority. Therefore, applications focused on national or State certification training, including train-the-trainer initiatives, will receive a higher competitive rating. Training that involves instructors, that require the students to demonstrate their grasp of knowledge of the training material via testing, and that is integral to a certification will receive a high competitive rating. Instructor-led training that does not lead to a certification, and any self-taught courses, are of lower benefit, and therefore will not be a high priority.

Although computer assisted courses that are instructor led could be viable, you need to be sure that the type of training you are proposing has a priority as well. Further research on your part is needed by reading the PG more closely.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Have you considered live burn or other types of props/equipment that will help with your NFPA 1001-level training or maintaining their competency?

One of the departments in the county put in a couple of years ago for a live burn trailer and we all shared the matching portion and share in the use and maintenance. They also recieved a smoke generator, laptop, and computer.

I've been eyeballing some things like what Kidde has available for live burn props (www.kiddeft.com), like the car and pressurized vessel simulators. I'm sure they're not the only ones making such a thing, but they're the ones I readily found and had pictures.

MembersZone Subscriber

In 2004 we recieved a training grant that included an Action Training package with the following: interactive set of CD-ROM training courses, quiz generator, question files, DVD / Video library and fire scene simulator. The Courses covered were NFPA 1001-1002 (Firefighter I,II, driver/operator), NFPA 1500, OSHA 29 CFR 1910.134 (Rapid Intervention), NFPA 1670 (Rescue), NFPA 472-1992 and OSHA 29 CFR 1910.120 (HazMat). Total cost was $17,390. We aslo purchased a Laptop, Digital Camera and Projector.

Although this was spelled out in the narrative as meeting instructor-led, National Certification, most of the topics we cover with our bi-monthly drills are the same as what is covered in the certification classes, so the material we purchased has been extremely beneficial for both purposes.

If your department has certified instructors then these materials will allow you to also do in house certification courses. If not request funding to get members certified as instructors as well. We also just received with 2008 afg funding for instructor classes and several other classes.

Thread Information