Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default York City, PA 2009

Looks like York City, PA is accepting applications for the position of Probationary Firefighter through then end of February. Starting pay is roughly $39,000. Just giving a heads up to anyone who might be interested and if anyone would wanna get a discussion going once things get rolling.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was just wondering if anyone out there had any info on their testing processes. Thanks much!

Forum Member

Do they accept applications for FF from other states?

MembersZone Subscriber

According to the application, there is no residency requirement and applications can be printed out from their website and mailed in. This link should work: http://www.yorkcity.org/section.php?name=Employment

This will be my first time going through their process but it looks to me like its the written exam first, followed by the physical agility (not sure if its the CPAT or their own version), followed by an interview. Hope this helps.

Forum Member

I saw this posting on firerecruit.com but don't really know anything about the city. Isn't it in the middle of BFE? Is there anything to do around there? I'd like to apply but ideally I don't want to live in the middle of a farm with no city nearby. Can anyone give me some insight into the area?
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Forum Member

Looking for a job, career EMT or Paramedic position in Pennsylvania near Philadelphia? Take a look at Second Alarmers Rescue Squad (SARS). They have decent pay and awesome benefits. Their trucks are new and they run a lot of calls (10-11k) out of 5 stations. They help with rescue and fire sometimes. See www.sars.org or give 'em a call 215-659-1885

Forum Member

York City is in Lancaster County.

Yes, you are basically in the country, but its not tooo bad. You have about 4 colleges (Millersville, Elizabethtown, Franklin and Marshall and York) within 45 minutes. You are about 1hr 45 min from Philly. Lancaster City is fairly close. (who also have a paid Fire Department) Youve got major stores in fairly local facinity but there are plenty of farms in the area.
    -Ron Stanton

Avondale Fire Company
    Chester County Station 23

visit our page @ http://www.avondalefirecompany.org

DCFD
    Engine Co. 11
    www.houseofflame.com

Forum Member

does anyone have any information on the area as far as living. cost of living? entertainment? does the fd do a good amount of work? and what about ems? do the firefighters run on the ambulance?

MembersZone Subscriber

York City is in York County. who would have thunk

Forum Member

Here is a link to their website..kind of old...but you can get the jist..

http://www.yorkcity.org/section.php?name=Fire

Here is a link to the job posting on the City's website..
    http://www.yorkcity.org/section.php?name=Employment
    -Ron Stanton

Avondale Fire Company
    Chester County Station 23

visit our page @ http://www.avondalefirecompany.org

DCFD
    Engine Co. 11
    www.houseofflame.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm pretty sure fire and EMS are separate. It's not a big department - 69 career and 60 volunteer. I don't know much about the department other than what I hear from being in a surrounding county so take what I say with a grain of salt but if I'm not pretty sure of something I wont say it. We have their dispatch frequency programmed into one of the scanners at the dispatch center I work in and it sounds like they see a decent amount of fire for a FD of that size.

Forum Member

City Demographics:

http://www.city-data.com/city/York-Pennsylvania.html

The closest "City" is probably Baltimore. York isn't the most exciting place around, but it isn't bad. If you want a full time, non-stop, busy FD job, this probably isn't for you.

Forum Member

York is in York County in South Central PA. It sits between Baltimore and Harrisburg. The testing is similar to most other places - written test, physical agility, then you're on a list. You have to move into the city within 6 months of being hired. There are some decent places to live in the city, but some of it is pretty crappy.
    They see work though - http://fire-ground.smugmug.com/
    There is alot to do around York - malls, movies, shopping, Lancaster outlets, Baltimore harbor, etc. If it's still the same, I think you start out in Fire Prevention for a year or so and then get moved to a piece. Not sure how many they are actually hiring, but usually around 30-40 test. EMS is separate.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LPFD53 View Post
    If it's still the same, I think you start out in Fire Prevention for a year or so and then get moved to a piece.
    Could you explain this a little more?

Forum Member

When I was out there, '98-'02. for school, I think when new guys got hired, they started out in Fire Prevention doing inspections and such on daywork. I think they did that for a year then got assigned to a piece. Like I said, I'm not sure if that's exactly how it was or how it still works.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LPFD53 View Post
    Not sure how many they are actually hiring, but usually around 30-40 test. EMS is separate.
    A few weeks ago I went looking through the city's budget. It looked like they might be trying to hire 5-10 people this year. No one take my word on that though. I know all of that could change in a split second the way the economy is going.

Forum Member

Anyone who applied hear anything yet about the process and a test date?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default test date

I got a letter yesterday saying that the test was Saturday April 4 at noon@William Penn HS. But...I'm taking myself out of the process because I'm going to test with Allentown. There wouldn't be a way to afford both trips out to PA. So with that said good luck to everyone else.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking two test times?

i recieved my test time for 3 pm on april 4th but there is also a noon testing time. 100 multiple choice questions. i just hope they dont have the allentown test on the same day as the york test. I highly doubt that they will though.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cfish3321 View Post
    i recieved my test time for 3 pm on april 4th but there is also a noon testing time. 100 multiple choice questions. i just hope they dont have the allentown test on the same day as the york test. I highly doubt that they will though.
    cfish,

Allentown's test is April 18 with the location and time to be determined.

Thread Information