Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Lap Band Procedure

Hello fellow Brothers and Sisters

Forgive me if this is a redundant question or topic. I looked through 6 pages of post and couldn't find the info I was looking for. I was looking for thoughts and ideas about firefighters having the Lap Band procedure done. Please understand the difference between gastric bypass and lap band.

I'm looking for anyone out there in FIRE Land who has had this procedure done before and works in the emergency services. I have given some thought into having the procedure to lose about 100-120 pounds. I'm very fortunate to work for a department that provides us with 2 personal trainers that are here everyday except Sunday. The program is new to the department and is only about 3 months old.

However, in my case I can lose the weight but keeping it off is a whole new story. Just looking for a contact person or general info if anyone has any. Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not to sound too harsh here but the procedure you are asking about will do nothing to help you keep the weight off. If you can lose weight without having a surgical procedure then I think it would be foolish to be cut on. If you are having trouble keeping weight off after losing it, it could be due to the way you are losing the weight in the first place. Losing weight by dieting alone (ie. not eating enough) is fine but without doing something to increase your metabolic rate (ie. aerobic exercise) your body will start to store as much energy that it can when you come off of a diet and you will start to pack pounds back on immediately. There is no pill, surgery, lotion, potion or anything else that will keep someone at a healthy weight. A balanced diet and regular exercise will. I have done it and I can tell you that it takes a mental change more than a physical one to lose a large amount of weight and keep it off. It is a lifestyle change and until you are ready to make it, any change that surgery makes in you will be temporary. I truly hope I have not offended you or anyone else, and if you would like to hear my experience feel free to email me or private message me. Above all do it safe and healthy and good luck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tjwagg View Post
    Not to sound too harsh here but the procedure you are asking about will do nothing to help you keep the weight off. If you can lose weight without having a surgical procedure then I think it would be foolish to be cut on. If you are having trouble keeping weight off after losing it, it could be due to the way you are losing the weight in the first place. Losing weight by dieting alone (ie. not eating enough) is fine but without doing something to increase your metabolic rate (ie. aerobic exercise) your body will start to store as much energy that it can when you come off of a diet and you will start to pack pounds back on immediately. There is no pill, surgery, lotion, potion or anything else that will keep someone at a healthy weight. A balanced diet and regular exercise will. I have done it and I can tell you that it takes a mental change more than a physical one to lose a large amount of weight and keep it off. It is a lifestyle change and until you are ready to make it, any change that surgery makes in you will be temporary. I truly hope I have not offended you or anyone else, and if you would like to hear my experience feel free to email me or private message me. Above all do it safe and healthy and good luck

TJWAGG nailed it. You can't correct an unheathy lifestyle with surgery. Give the trainers a chance. You can do it!!!

Burn more calories than you take in. That simple.
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Last resort

I agree with what has been said here. I have worked with Lap band patients as a PT prior to becoming a FF. The surgery is a very small part of the overall success, the lifestyle change is the most important. If you overeat due to stress or emotional issues the surgery won't fix that and the stomach can stretch out and you defeat the purpose. If diet/portion control is an issue and you can't change it presurgery guess what, you will have to eat about a cup of food at a time. Not going to work. I feel that you have to find a good support network: home,work gym. Start educating yourself on sound, healthy diet habits, start small and start exercising on a regular basis.

Start with walking and easy weights, get a trainer or workout partner. Cut portions in half to start, eat ONLY health foods, cut processed foods, eat lots of veggies and fruits, smaller/frequent meals. I would talk to a physician to make sure there may not be any other medical issues contributing to the weight gain. You can do it, it just has to be alifestyle change. I hope this helps

MembersZone Subscriber

Default what?

Not to be a butthole but if you need surgery to lose weight you should not be in firefighting. You are at risk and your coworkers are at risk.
    And now for the nice side I am a fitness trainer and if you PM me i'll start you in the right direction.

One guy on our department had it done. I'm not a fan of it either, but it's worked for him. Private message me and I'll give you his email address.
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

Thread Information