Forum Member

Default USAjobs.com application process

Hey all,

Just trying to apply for multiple positions on usajobs for this summer. I just had a few questions about the process because its a little confusing with how many places I can apply and how many times I have to fax my transcripts. If anyone can be of help, you can PM me it would be much appreciated. Thanks....
    Impossible is Nothing.

Forum Member

See if they allow you to process an application using RESUMIX (that is, if they still use it.)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I assuming your going with DOI and BLM positions?

If you are using your education to qualify, go onto the website you did the actual application on (DOI fire jobs one), and print a fax cover sheet for your transcripts. Instructions are on the cover sheet.

I just sent three of mine out today. A lot of the same positions you are applying for fall under the same vacancy number, so check the "my applications" tab under MyUSAJOBS for the numbers.

Good Luck

Forum Member

did you do avuedigitalservices as well?

Also, I applied for a firefighter job with the location CA-Bakersfield... on the application it also asked to pick other locations...I think they all have the same announcement #'s. Does this mean I technically applied for those other locations as well because they have the same announcement #? Thanks Im new at this so sorry if I sound dumb or its been said already
    Last edited by Shamrock26; 01-05-2009 at 07:20 PM.
    Impossible is Nothing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock26 View Post

Also, I applied for a firefighter job with the location CA-Bakersfield... on the application it also asked to pick other locations...I think they all have the same announcement #'s. Does this mean I technically applied for those other locations as well because they have the same announcement #? Thanks Im new at this so sorry if I sound dumb or its been said already
    You did the Hotshot or the Wildland FF one? I called the field office there, and they said that under the vacancy announcement, they would review starting with those that chose that location as their preferred. But if there are openings other places you are applicable to be there as well.

The guy talked really fast and i barely understood him, so that is a rough translation

Forum Member

I did the wildland fire one.
    Impossible is Nothing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, under avue you can pick 7 or 9 or something "preferred" locations, where you would like to work. This doesn't mean that those locations have an opening, and since the jobs are all on national announcement numbers, it is hard to tell where to apply.

MembersZone Subscriber

I did the wildland fire one.
    USAJobs links to avue for usfs jobs, and to a different system for doi (blm, nps, fws, etc). Which agency did you want apply to? I applied for DOI jobs back before they got more integrated with usajobs and only had to fax once. The FS (where I work now) has never asked to see my transcripts.

Forum Member

i figured the more i apply to the better. But I guess that might not be the case. I just want to get out there! I'll send my app 1000 times i dont care
    Impossible is Nothing.

Forum Member

Smile There is alot.

I am not real familiar with the BLM system. If you need help with AVue for the Forest Service and following up with phone numbers for places I can help. You can pick up to 9 places in Avue for your application to show up. The best is to call and talk to Captains at places you want to work. They can tell you the appr. city to pick to show up on their list. If you have no Federal wildland fire time. I would concetrate your effort on engines. You will have better luck. I would also step a little bit out of your comfort zone and look outside of the immediate area. Socal has a huge hiring pool for FS jobs. Norcal depending on the place has a bit thinner pool. Most places have some sort of barracks arrangement for their seasonal employees. The key to getting a Fed job is flexibility and the ability to temp. move to another town. Barracks are usually pretty inexpensive. I was able to live in the barracks and rent a home 2 hrs away from where I worked. An still have play money. If there is any questions plz feel free to PM me. I work on the Plumas N.F.

Forum Member

yeah i think this is where I am stuck. I am the section of the app. to pick 9 locations. I know nothing about each location except where they might be located on a map. Ive been looking around for a list to contact these captains...are there any?
    Impossible is Nothing.

Forum Member

Default phone lists

phone lists are published on the indv. Forests websites if the forest deams that they want to, but most of that stuff is usually kept on the intranet for the already employed folks. Best advice is to call the district offices this time of year and ask for one of the engine captains or engineers. If that does not get you anywhere just call and ask for someone from fire management and tell them you are looking for a job for the upcoming season and ask who would be a good person to talk to about vacancies and such. As a whole we are most willing to help. You can go to www.wildlandfire.com as well and leave a plea for help in "they said" as well. Lots of Federal, State, Local, and contract folks poking around willing to help.
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

MembersZone Subscriber

I can give contact info and locations for 3 engines in my district. The engines are in eastern CA, but we are region 4. I may be away from the computer for a while (traveling to a detail). The captains are laid off right now anyway, snow covering most of the district reduces the fire danger a bit. We should have quite a few openings for seasonals on our engines (and perms as well)

Forum Member

thanks, that would be great, PM me if you get a chance
    Impossible is Nothing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gnufsh View Post
    I can give contact info and locations for 3 engines in my district. The engines are in eastern CA, but we are region 4. I may be away from the computer for a while (traveling to a detail). The captains are laid off right now anyway, snow covering most of the district reduces the fire danger a bit. We should have quite a few openings for seasonals on our engines (and perms as well)
    Spread the love!

Forum Member

If your going to apply to avuedigital try going on www.beardividehotshots.com they have announcement numbers on there web site.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Ticonderoga View Post
    Spread the love!
    Well, things have changed again, as usual. We are now only hiring 1 seasonal per engine (although we are now hiring 3 GS-5 13/13 senior FFs as well). So there will only be 3 seasonal spots and I think they are aiming at GS-4s, which means you will need some fire experience.

760 932 7070 is the number for the district office, and they should be able to transfer you to someone in fire who can talk to you about a job.

Thread Information