Forum Member

Default Interview questions

I have been tasked with developing interview questions for applicants for our volunteer fire department. Just wondering what others do throughout the Country?

Any examples would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance!

Forum Member

Are these questions for an entrance interview or for a promotional interview?
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Forum Member

Why do you want to be a volunteer firefighter?
    What do you want to give to the community?
    Will you be willing to train to be a certified firefighter?
    Will you continue to train?
    Will you work well with others/obey department SOP's/obey commanding officers orders?
    Do you currently work outside of departments respose area?
    Do you live in town or the county(but still in respose area?

These are a few besides the simple criminal and health history questions.
    Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

MembersZone Subscriber

For my Department we don't have a true interview and an applicant's acceptance is not based on a vote. If a prospective member passes a medical and background screening and a physical agility test then they are in. They then have to work their way through a probationary period and then meet minimum standards.

From what I've seen a two-way discussion is usually better then a formal "interview". An applicant needs to know what the department is all about and what the expectations are before they join. They need to know what the time and training requirements are and how to meet them. It doesn't do anyone any good if someone goes through the whole process then finds out they don't have the time required to be active.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onlocation View Post
    Why do you want to be a volunteer firefighter?
    What do you want to give to the community?
    Will you be willing to train to be a certified firefighter?
    Will you continue to train?
    Will you work well with others/obey department SOP's/obey commanding officers orders?
    Do you currently work outside of departments respose area?
    Do you live in town or the county(but still in respose area?

These are a few besides the simple criminal and health history questions.
    Those are a pretty good set. Despite being "volunteer" you may need to be cautious about getting too deep into some things since there may be Fair Labor Standards Act implications. Having been involved with the hiring process at my regular job, there are a couple other questions I like to ask:

1. What do you like the most about your current job?
    2. What do you like the least about your current job?
    ---These sometimes gives you clues about the attitude of the person toward his/her working environment and how they relate to authority figures on the job.

3. If (when) we call your currently employer (or your reference), what will they tell us about you?
    ---Puts them on notice that you may be making those calls and gives you a baseline to compare how they see themselves compared to how those who know the person perceive them.

4. Is there anything that you have done at your current job that you are particularly proud of? If so, tell us about it.
    ---Give the person an open ended question where they can talk about their own accomplishments. This kind of question often leads into candid conversation that gives you an opportunity to see a different side of the person being interviewed.

These things are meant to make the interview easier for both you and the candidate. It has been my experience that they tend to do that once both you and the candidate get over the initial "formalities" involved in the interview.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

The ones I ask every applicant are:
    1.) Why do you want to be a firefighter? - This one can really give you some insight as to a person's motivation level (not that it can't be changed later, but...)
    2.) What will you bring to our department? - You will get some really surprising answers to this one, and its a good ice breaker to find out a little more about their personal life.
    3.) Does your wife/husband/mom/dad/etc. support your decision to be a volunteer firefighter? - Because we give so much of our time away to our community and passion without compensation, this is a very important thing to know.
    Even when asked outside of a formal "interview" setting, these can help you to really get to know your recruit. Good luck and stay safe!
    Mike S.
    ASSUME GOOD INTENT:
    This comment is intended to be taken at face value. Nothing in this comment should be interpreted as anything more than what is written. There’s no hidden meaning, and I’m not upset about anything.
    It’s not intended to upset anybody, “beat a political drum”, or “stir the pot”. There’s no need to try to read in between the lines.
    It’s just not that deep, so stop looking for something that isn’t there.

Forum Member

Do you just want the t-shirt? Ill sell you the t-shirt, or are you here to work hard?
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

we also have it set that an existing member has to "sponsor" you
    this somewhat helps keep the "unwanted" out, and if an outsider comes in a member will be appointed his sponsor and then then next step is that a 3 person commitee is formed and they will setup interviews with the applicant and report it back to the department.

more questions you could ask is if they have a any firefighting/rescue traning experience and also what type of drivers license they have, these just help the training officerin the future in the event the applicant does get selected.
    Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

In addition to many of the ones posted here, I always ask them what questions they have for me. It's a typical interview question, but I like to see how curious they are about FD stuff.

Thread Information