Forum Member

Default Should I state this in my oral interview?

I was given an conditional offer of employment, and passed the PERF exam. Everyone in my recruit class was told to not give notice to our employers until we received final confirmation that our class was a go. Ten days before we were supposed to start recruit class, it was cancelled. This was due to budget problems with HB1001 in Indiana, the property tax debacle. I'm going through a few other departments processes right now, and don't know if I should use this in my oral interview. I think that it could help me, as I've made it through all the hoops to get hired, and passes the PERF psyc and physical exam, but part of me doesn't think it would. They could see it as I still want to get on that other department and use it as a stepping stone.

What do you think, and what is your reasoning behind it?

Forum Member

Default Pro's and Con's

Cadet...Personally I think that you should not mention this as it might make you look like you'll jump ship if the other City calls. If they ask you have you ever applied to another city then this is where you state what you have done. There are people who will say that you should tell them....I say NO!

I hope this will help. Feel free to send me a PM and we'll discuss this further.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Permanently Removed

I would say no as well. Doesnt look like a need to bring it up. Just go in strong, kick *** and make the list.

MembersZone Subscriber

As always, my advice is to tell the truth ( I think Jay alluded to this, as well.).

If they ask you the question about applying for or being appointed to other FD's, you have to answer honestly. Myreasoning is that it is always the right thing to tell the truth.

In this case, I do not believe that you have to independently volunteer this info.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firecadet613 View Post
    I was given an conditional offer of employment, and passed the PERF exam. Everyone in my recruit class was told to not give notice to our employers until we received final confirmation that our class was a go.
    I thought they said don't say anything about it. If so, do just that.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

I agree with the others. Don't volunteer it, but definitely tell them if they ask.

Let your answers to their questions be what shows them that you are qualified. Kick ***. Make their list. You've done it before.

MembersZone Subscriber

It depends on where you are applying versus the size of the department for which you are testing. Here's what I mean:

A firefighter looking to move from one department to another is generally rated higher than a "non-firefighter". In this case, while you are not a firefighter, a department thought highly enough about to offer you a job. This puts you in a category higher than all of the other "non-firefighters".

Here is the downside of telling the "next" department. If the department believes that you will leave if and when the budget gets better, they will not hire you (for fear you will leave).

If, on the other hand, the next department is a better place I would want them to know that if not for a budget cut I would be a firefighter today.

Here is how you can present it:
    I want to let you know that I was offered a position with XYZ fire department. I accepted it, passed the medical, psych etc, and was scheduled to start in the academy. The academy was put on hold for now.

I really want to work for your department for these reasons........
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Thanks for all your replies so far. I see your reasoning BCLepore, what are others thoughts on this?

Forum Member

I go with many here that I wouldn't bring it up unless they do. You're looking for a seamless no surprises interview. All you need is to place doubt with one panel member and your score could keep you from moving forward in the process.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    I go with many here that I wouldn't bring it up unless they do. You're looking for a seamless no surprises interview. All you need is to place doubt with one panel member and your score could keep you from moving forward in the process.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com
    So could a background investigation that turns up that you concealed important information. But, then again, nothing matters but the badge.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Thread Information