MembersZone Subscriber

Question Application rejected due to relative working for the department

The written and physical part of the hiring process is tommorow. I got a call today telling me I was not eligible to apply for the job with the fire department because I had a relative that was on the department. They then told me that if I wanted to I could still come test but would not be able to be hired. I thought it was just a joke at first but apparently its in there city guidelines. Is this common? Should I have just lied on my application and said I had no relatives that worked for the city? I have A few certifications and even my FFI. So I would have been in the running if I passed my written and physical.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wade888 View Post
    The written and physical part of the hiring process is tommorow. I got a call today telling me I was not eligible to apply for the job with the fire department because I had a relative that was on the department. They then told me that if I wanted to I could still come test but would not be able to be hired. I thought it was just a joke at first but apparently its in there city guidelines. Is this common? Should I have just lied on my application and said I had no relatives that worked for the city? I have A few certifications and even my FFI. So I would have been in the running if I passed my written and physical.
    My department has a similar policy in place. I definitely would not lie about such a thing on an application. I have heard a story of a recruit who had made it through a portion of the academy when the department found out they had a relative on the job. Unfortunately, the recruit was let go because of it.

Forum Member

Nepotism strikes again. And never lie. Then you get blackballed.

Let's talk fire trucks!

That's insane. We have brothers, father/son(s), and have twice had husband/wife working in our department. They never worked in the same battalion, and generally not on the same shift. And they never supervised one another.

What size department are we talking about?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Our city used to do that. I'm not sure if it was an actual policy or just the fire administration. Now it doesn't matter at all. Maybe you should stop by the mayors office and ask why. You probably still won't be eligible but maybe putting a bug in his ear could get things changed for the next hire.
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

Forum Member

Default Nepotism

I have worked with a Department who had soooo many relatives just about everyone was related. I now work for a Department where the same applies. However,the town next to us has the policy that you can not work for them if you are related. Their Fire Chief has a son in-law who tested for their Department and was told that he could not be hired. He is now one of our best Firefighters. It's their loss our gain.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information