Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Lightbulb Whelen Pioneer Series Super LED Floodlight

I was wondering if anyone has used or seen in person Whelen's new Pioneer Series Super LED Floodligt (Browlight)? What did you think of it? Do you think its worth 600 to 700 dollars?

Thanks in advance for any imput!

Forum Member

Have not seen them in person. We ruled these out pretty early on for our new rescue pumper when we knew we were getting a hydraulic generator. They only produce 5000 lumens. I would go with the FRC Optimum HID if you arent getting a generator. One 150W 12V HID Optimum will produce 11,250 lumens.

The downside to the HID is the time to reach full intensity. For us, we usually turn on scene lighting as we approach the scene rather than after the parking brake is pulled so it might not be an issue if you turn them on ahead of getting there.

The Pioneers might be a good idea for like an F series chassis light rescue. Oh and if you are in the Everglades or something and get swarmed by insects all the time. The big selling point I seem to see for the Pioneers is the light doesnt attract insects.

In contrast we will have two 750W 120V generator powered Optimums producing 19,600 lumens each. Which would be the equivalent of almost 8 Pioneer lights to reach equivalent lumens.

CE11 has some Optimum HIDs on a new Spartan/Toyne. And credit to him for my response because I believe I asked him the same question a few months ago!

we too looked at these for our new rig and they were dleted for the aforementioned reasons (cost hydraulic genset, ooodles of other flood lighting). .......but it may work for you.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I did see them at FDIC but without another type of light to compare against it's hard to say. We use FRC Focus 750 watt. The only advantage I can see would be the low current draw of the LED light.

MembersZone Subscriber

And on a commercial cab easy to pull the small wire require thru the A pillar vs "impossible" to do so for a big 110/220V AC brow light.

I looked at them at a local show. I was impressed with output for size/cost/purpose.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFPD2005 View Post
    Have not seen them in person. We ruled these out pretty early on for our new rescue pumper when we knew we were getting a hydraulic generator.

Why would a hydraulic generator rule them out?

Forum Member

Why would a hydraulic generator rule them out?

Because when we decided on a hydraulic generator that gave us the capability to use 120V lighting powered from the generator. Keep in mind a 10kW hydraulic generator is 12-15 thousand bucks...

Forum Member

We speced them for our ew ambulace 2 brow lights, and 2 side reccess mounts they are over $1k each installed. We need instant "on", and the pair of LED's will give us 10,000 lumens. I you dot have 110v ac the are a good option

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFPD2005 View Post
    One 150W 12V HID Optimum will produce 11,250 lumens.

The downside to the HID is the time to reach full intensity. For us, we usually turn on scene lighting as we approach the scene rather than after the parking brake is pulled so it might not be an issue if you turn them on ahead of getting there.

CE11 has some Optimum HIDs on a new Spartan/Toyne. And credit to him for my response because I believe I asked him the same question a few months ago!
    In general, we're happy with our Optimums. They do take 30 - 45 seconds to come up to full brightness, but we deal with it. By the way, you can "restrike" them (turn them back on after being shut off for a short time) and they come back up immediately.

GFPD has a reasonable solution, if you anticipate needing them, turn them on aheadl of time. Just watch that you don't blind oncoming 4-wheelers.

Thread Information