Forum Member

Default Bid on station shift assignment?

Just wondering if any of you guys are able to bid on your station and shift assignments? We've been fussing with the administration for years now and they don't want to even talk about it. If you do, would you mind emailing me a copy of the policy if you have it on hand?
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

Forum Member

My old career dept. wouldnt even consider it- because then they couldnt keep the pretty-boy *** kissing lapdogs at headquarters, and hide us troublemakers at the other station........
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

We do have a Shift/Station bid process in my Department (Longview TX.) I am not at work today so I cannot send you a copy of the exact policy, but I can get a copy tomorrow when I go in and send it to you if you would like. It goes something like this.

When a vacant position comes available at any station/shift an "Official" memo is sent out from the Chief's office announcing that administration is taking requests for said position. The positions are filled by seniority in grade for the most part but some other considerations also apply. An example would be if the open position was for a Firefighter at the HazMat station. The applicants must already be HazMat certified or be willing to get the required certifications within a given time frame. All persons bidding for the position must not have been granted a transfer due to "winning a bid" within the previous 2 years. (This prevents someone from station hopping every year or so). The officer that the transfer will effect is consulted as to whom would be the best fit for the crew. If the most senior person placing a bid request has a history of disciplinary problems the Station Captain has the ability to request that this applicant not be granted the transfer. (This does not happen often but it has happened in the past).

The biding process is a continuous cycle as there are openings at stations throughout the year as people retire, quit or whatever. I hope that this brief description of our policy helps. If you still would like a copy of the exact policy let me know and I will try and get you a copy sent.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

My dept. has job bidding in our contract. I will email you the provision when I get a chance. When a job is vacated the vacancy is posted in all firehouses for 15 days. During that time members fill out a bid slip and place it in a locked box. On day 15 the box is open and senior guy is offered the position. If nobody bids then the vacancy is reposted as "sudden death" and will then be filled on a first come first serve basis. If a vacancy still exists we have extra members assigned on shift who are not attached to a specific company who fill in for members who are sick, vacation, etc. those members would fill in until someone bids.

Forum Member

Our union has a quarterly transfer policy. Every quarter all of the vacant positions on all shifts are posted. You have 15 days to bid for them. You aren't able to bid until you have been on for 3 yrs. It is strictly based on seniority. If you want to get into a busy station, it takes a while. We have the same training policies though. You have to already have your training in order to get specialized spots (hazmat, paramedic). If a vacancy is created by a retirement, that position is immediately posted and the same 15 days is followed.

We have 24 engines, 9 trucks, 15 med units, and 2 hazmats so there is always plenty of open spots to bid. Any more questions just let me know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hefightsfire99 View Post
    Just wondering if any of you guys are able to bid on your station and shift assignments? We've been fussing with the administration for years now and they don't want to even talk about it. If you do, would you mind emailing me a copy of the policy if you have it on hand?
    my first dept allowed this. basically it was similar to station2capt's dept, but there was no input from station personnel, the senior person got it (the specialty certification clause applied though, like statin2capt mentioned). also, you could do it as many times as you wanted. here is a snippet from the union contract, though I don't have the specific policy.

Pursuant to Department Standard Operating Procedures, a policy for shift selection will be established and maintained. The City maintains its right to determine and modify organizational structure; to select, direct, transfer, assign and determine the number of personnel in fulfilling its duties. The Department intends to continue the policy of shift bidding for all personnel in the bargaining unit when practical. The City will not arbitrarily or
    capriciously reassign personnel. The Department reserves the right to reassign personnel for cause; however, the Department will not reassign personnel for disciplinary reasons. If personality conflicts between unit members require a change in shift or station assignments the Fire Chief will consult with the Union President prior to any reassignment.

Forum Member

Here you can bid a shift but not a house. Shift bids, although VERY rare, are done by seniority. Same as vacation picks...
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Similar to some of the above.

You can bid a different shift, house, or even across the floor(eng to truck)
    Openings posted early October for all officer ranks for two weeks. All spots are awarded from seniority. Any spots not taken and openings created by moves are now posted for another two weeks. There's a 3rd round.
    After the officers are done the FF's openings are posted. Same way, also with 3 rounds and based on seniority.
    One reason it's done like this is so FF's know who the officer is before they make the move and captains know who their Bn Chief will be.
    You usually stay in your current assignment until the first week of January when all moves are made. You have to do a full year then you can bid again.
    You can go to one of the H/M companies, E-2 and L-2, without being a tech. You'll be sent to H/M school and will do decon , along with inhouse training, until then.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983 View Post
    Here you can bid a shift but not a house. Shift bids, although VERY rare, are done by seniority. Same as vacation picks...
    What if you get sent to a dog house out of the academy - you are stuck there for life? Vacancies posted three times a year. Bidding based on seniority. Must be assingned for a year before you are able to put in a transfer again.

Forum Member

2 year bid by senority with interem transfers as needed
    IAFF

Forum Member

Based off our contract, we bid ever year. Captains first, then Lt then FFs. You have to have over 3 years to bid. Under 3 years BC can put you wherever he wants. Bids are for station bids not shift transfers. Also after an opening occurs due to retirement, long term injury, etc... Position is open to those under that person. All is based on seniority.

Forum Member

After initial assignment, we are free to request transfer to any opening. We can do seniority bids for some openings, we can do one for one swaps, and we can also request transfer as long as there is an opening.
    Bill Geyer
    Engine 27
    Memphis F.D.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whocares View Post
    What if you get sent to a dog house out of the academy - you are stuck there for life?
    Like I said, we don't bid houses, only shifts. Besides, the rookies are bounced all over the place for the first couple of years. They are lucky if they make it through a full shift without moving to another house...
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

In all these previously post circumstances how does this impact a vacation that has already been picked?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaCreek View Post
    In all these previously post circumstances how does this impact a vacation that has already been picked?
    I'm having trouble finding the policy, but I'm 99% sure if admin moves you, you are given the applicable vacation if you still want it. if you put in for a different shift, and it is granted, you're on your own.

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't have a bid process, but you can put a request up the chain.

As for shift transfers and vacations. If you are transferred to another shift you are allowed to take the shift next to your old vacation days regardless of whether or not the vacation slots are filled for that day. That way if you planned a vacation and you get transferred for whatever reason you are messed over. Admin does try to do a lot of transfers effective in Oct which is when the vacation and kelley cycle starts. Guys will pick on the shift that they are going to.
    I may speak gibberish, but I don't talk s***! -- Dropkick Murphys

Forum Member

We bid shifts at specific stations. All assignments are awarded based on seniority. We never wipe the slate clean for lack of a better term. When a spot becomes available due to promotion, retirement, etc. people move around.

We can do job shares where I go work at another house for however long we agree upon.

We were fortunate enough to gain such perks due to our union hard at work.

Forum Member

Seems like most everyone who has the ability to bid on their shift & station is because of a union contract with the city. Our city still doesn't officially recognize our union. Maybe because were in the south. Maybe because of instead of an organized union ours much more closely resembles a game of Whack-A-Mole gone bad.

If the admin moves someone here your vacation stays the same even if they have to pay overtime. Sucked on Christmas because we had three guys moved onto our shift who had picked that week from other shifts. Ended up forcing the two with least seniority to stay on overtime. Oh the infinite wisdom of the white helmets.
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stretch13 View Post
    After initial assignment, we are free to request transfer to any opening. We can do seniority bids for some openings, we can do one for one swaps, and we can also request transfer as long as there is an opening.
    Some more to the story:

Every fire department has two kinds of openings - those that were created for a separation from payroll and those that were not.

In Memphis, if the opening was created from a separation from payroll - the employee quits, gets fired, retires, or dies - then it is a seniority bid opening. The position is posted and employees have 10 calendar days to submit a bid. The senior most qualified employee will get the spot.

If the opening was not created by a separation from payroll - the opening was created because someone got promoted, demoted, won a seniority bid, or got transferred - then any employee can submit a transfer request, but the opening will ultimately be filled by managements discretion.

Additionally, all vacant firefighter positions that were not created by a separation from payroll will be posted 30 days prior to the graduation of any recruit class.

Management maintains the right to transfer people "for the betterment of the job", but for the most part once you are in a position it is yours. You cannot be bumped by another employee because they want it and may have more seniority than you.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 02-08-2009 at 12:26 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

No bidding, cake making, leave raking, house painting or butt kissing works here. Well sometimes for the right person!!

You can make a request for reassignment by completing the proper papers and submit them. If the BC feels you really need to be reassigned or not they have to make the appropriate comments to the request.

If the Operations Deputy feels there is a benefit for the reassignment or for some unknown reason he cares or not, you may get what you want. Problems folks are not bounced around but are kept where they are for the Officers to either except the problems or more than likely document the problems then rate this member down , with in most case they will self destruct and get rid of their selves.

We have had a lot of members get assigned from the drill school to a company and stay there their entire time on the job.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hefightsfire99 View Post
    The Montreal (Quebec, Canada) Fire Department posts vacant station and shift assignments 4 times a year. Assignments are granted based on seniority and once you are posted somewhere you must remain a minimum of 18 months before you are allowed to bid again.

There are roughly 100-200 vacant postings at any given time, and around 300 applications are received each time, each application can only have 3station/shift choices.

The procedure is part of the collective agreement; I'd send it to you but its all in french However its essentially as paraphrased above.

MtlFire

Talking

ccccccccccccccccccccc

Thread Information