MembersZone Subscriber

Default New FireHouse Tenant needs advice

Hey everyone-
    New to the forum. I am the new tenant/Firefighter in our firehouse. We are a volunteer/paid-call department with an Apartment above our firehouse. I have to check the trucks to make sure they are operational. I am semi-handy with most things.

Does anyone have a checklist or can refer me to a checklist of things that should be checked on a weekly monthly and yearly basis. The tenant before me didn't have anything like that and what he was required to do was very minimal.

Any help would be great.

Forum Member

Check all the fluid levels. Run all engines. Inspect for damage on equipment. Thats just a few things to do daily. You could check tire pressure once a week. Theres plenty to be checked. Ask the chief what he wants done.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

got an email or fax # ? I can get you what we use.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

How many runs do you get per day/week??

Daily... Run the rigs, and operate them as if you were at a fire. Check that the pressure relief valve is working, all gauges, transfer valve, all intake and discharge valves are OK, etc. Make sure to also check all fluid levels. Lights are also checked daily, as well as the park brake test, and air system checks.

Better yet, I'll post up a pic of our FF's daily, weekly, monthly, and annual check lists. It will be tomorrow.

BTW, Welcome aboard.

FM1

MembersZone Subscriber

on average we run about 1 call per week. We are fire only. The chief has not required anything in particular.

Also, I will only be able to do a truck check once a week. Thanks for any help.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would do all that is required on a commercial vehicle pre-trip inspection (check everything, airbrake check, etc), plus checking the pump and all your tools. run all of the small engines (saws, etc)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    all intake and discharge valves are OK, etc.
    Good idea on the intake & discharges, when they sit closed for long periods of time they get stuck. So operate the valve through the full range of motion and flow some water through them.

Forum Member

Crap, I totally forgot about this.

I'll post up the checks ( I promise ) tomorrow.

Sorry.

FM1

MembersZone Subscriber

If you're only going to do checks on a weekly basis, make sure and do a good job of it. When you get some down time, get some paper and create an inventory for each truck for future reference and to make sure nothing's come up missing.

With anything, get out the owner's manual and see if it has a procedure they recommend for checks and their frequency. If you can't find one, see if you can find one online. For example, pump manufacturers have recommendations for daily, weekly, monthly, semi-annual, and annual checks and maintenance. You'd be surprised some of the things you'll learn just by reading the manual.

Anything that's gas operated needs to be pulled out and ran for 20 minutes or so. Generators need to be ran under a load (after you've given it some time to warm up, first). Make sure the equipment is clean, too. It'll help it to run more efficiently and cooler.

If your trucks don't get out of the station very often, take them for a drive and "blow out the cobwebs" every once in a while. I know departments that'll do this and log the time down as driver training while they're at it. Along with the fluids and such, remember to check the air brake adjustments and things like that on the bottom side. If you have a DMV office close by, you can get a copy of a CDL manual and learn some things about checking the trucks.

When you check your SCBA, don't stop with the air level. Check the PASS and HUD while you're at it to make sure they're working. Check the hoses, clean the regulators and masks (read owner's manual), straps, backplate and even take a couple of breaths out of each one just to make sure it's working right, especially if they're not used very often.

If you can get around Word or Excel, you can create your own check-off sheets pretty easily and tailor them to your department. Make sure you have a file somewhere to keep these things for future reference. You might also look at creating a maintenance log for each apparatus and piece of equipment. Even if you change a battery on an air pack, a spark plug on a saw, add some oil to the pumper, or change the fluid on the HRT's, log it on that maintenance log and keep them filed away.

Forum Member

A few additional very "essential/basic" items that often get overlooked.

1. Check the TIRE PRESSURE...especially the REAR "duals" WITH A GAUGE. A "kick" check [with your foot or a hammer] is not sufficient although SOP for many.

2. Drain the AIR [brake] tanks after each run...especially in humid weather and winter. Water will go to the bottom, and you'll be surprised how much will come out. Many are relying on the "automatic" air driers today, but some moisture will accumulate in the tank [after the drier]...possibly causing a brake failure due to freezing.

3. Drain the water from the fuel tank. Fire equipment very seldom run the tank down below 1/2, and moisture accumulates [at the bottom] due to temp. changes from in/out of a warm building, also service the engine fuel/water filter often.

4. If you are in a environment where they are applying "brine" to the roadways in winter, do a visual CHECK of the rear brake chambers for rust. A small "power-washer" is a good investment for spraying the undercarriage of the apparatus to remove the brine.

Re: the "brine" statement above;

Frame rails, crossmembers, suspension components, air tanks, fuel tanks, battery boxes, brackets, brake shoes, electrical systems, air-conditioning condensers, radiators, metal coolant tubing, steel wheels, inside the floor of the cab - even refrigeration units aren't safe from the corrosion monster. At issue are the new liquid de-icers that have become a common weapon in highway agencies' battle against snow and ice - magnesium chloride and calcium chloride. When sprayed on pavement in advance of a coming storm, these chemicals can prevent ice from forming on the roadways, making snow removal easier and in some cases keeping the pavement clear.
    More here on this:

http://heavydutytrucking.com/2007/11/072a0711.asp
    Last edited by 1OLDTIMER; 02-14-2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: additional info.

Thread Information