Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dog?

Forum Member

Default Dog?

Does anybody work with a dog? What type of breed makes the best accelerant dog? Also if you guys have any good websites, please feel free to leave them. I am not an investigator, but I am doing some research on the breed, for the department. Our investigator asked me to look into the dog breeds for him.

Any help is appreciated, thanks. And stay safe.
    CADET WFPD

MembersZone Subscriber

A nearby departmetn has just gotten a dog. Not sure on any details. I did Google arson dog and a slew of stuff came up, a wide range of schools and stories about.

I have heard that lab's make good ones as they have a wide range of smell and able to differentiate between them and that Sate Farm has grants they give to train the dogs.

Good luck...

Be safe, R2

MembersZone Subscriber

The City of Philadelphia has had 3 accelerant dogs over the years in their Fire Marshals Office. If you can get a hold of the Lt down there who is partners with the dog I am sure he will be more then happy to help you.

Forum Member

The two programs I know of are free (ATF & State Farm). The dogs are usually labs, but I am sure there are plenty of other breeds out there. The ATF does training for detection dogs and if you get in their program, the dog and training is free (depending on their budget). Here is the link for State Farm's program.

http://www.statefarm.com/about/part_.../arson_dog.asp

This is what an ATF agent told me:
    ATF only uses Labs. They are a smart breed and they have the right temperment. When you become a K-9 handler, the K-9 becomes a member of the family. Another child if you will. Its important to have a K-9 that can live and interact with other family members. Labs are best suited for that.

When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
    "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
    But when 'tis out and all things righted,
    God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.
    ~Author unknown, from The Fireman's Journal, 18 Oct 1879

Forum Member

Default dogs

I have trained 8 search and rescue dogs and two were beagles. They have a very good nose and are smaller so they can get into places where a big dog can't. I clicker train them so it is all a positive training. It is all click and treat. My dogs were trained to do 60 different behaviors and they are very fast and smart. Anymore info you would like just let me know and I will be happy to fill you in.

Forum Member

I am a handler who is working my second K-9. Both have been Labrador's and trained by ATF. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions that you have.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I am a K-9 handler with a municipal FD. Sadie is a state Farm dog, and she is the FD's second dog. E-mail any questions that you may have,
    Richard Howard
    Evansville Fire Department (Indiana)
    arsonk9@insightbb.com

Forum Member

I work for a private fire investigation company, we have a Golden Retriever, he is a good boy, lives in family very well and is a very good partner, we even go sailing with him. But I would say that a lab is better because it is a little lighter and smaller.

Contact the Chillicothe, Ohio FD. The Assistant Chief there is a friend of mine. He has a Chocolate Lab as an arson dog.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information