MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Talking I Dont Think My Mom Would Have Met This "Standard"

My mother, the teenage-dude magnet

By Asia Wolfe, Special to Times ColonistJanuary 6, 2009 8:03 AM

Setting: Vancouver International Airport.

Time: About 10 a.m.

Situation: My mother and I are travelling through YVR on a moving walkway, both of us tired already.

We are on our way to London on one of those last-minute trip deals, and through our haze of sleepiness, we are very excited. We pass a group of guys between the ages of 18 and 22, by my estimation. They turn to look at us, and a few of them start to grin and stare. Thinking they are looking at me, I am flattered and smile a bit to myself.

Then I realize something. They are not checking me out. They're checking out my mom.

What?

Thus I begin to realize that, compared to my mother, I am just not interesting to guys. A 40-something woman who dresses as well as my mother (she is up on all the latest brands; she received a Guess bag for Christmas and I think it was the happiest moment of her life) and who has the figure that my mother does is far more attractive to adolescents than someone their own age with glasses and no makeup.

I suppose it has something to do with the idea of worldly experience or perhaps maturity. Or perhaps it relates to men's tendency to compare women to their mothers. Whatever the reason, throughout our whirlwind trip to Britain, my mother was almost constantly asked if she was travelling with her sister. I am still not sure if that was a compliment to her, a slur on me or a mix of both.

Most teenagers I know have mothers who listen to soft-rock radio stations, or if they're going out on a limb, classic rock. My mother has The Beat 94.5 and 107.3 Kool FM on almost constantly in her car. Her iPod is stuffed full of everything from Justin Timberlake to the Pussycat Dolls to Nelly Furtado. Her favourite song at the moment is Elevator by Timbaland.

Don't get me wrong. I love my mother very, very much, and wouldn't trade her for anyone. Sometimes, though, it is a bit odd when I ask to listen to that classic rock station and she declines in favour of hip hop. Everyone says I have the coolest mom ever, and it's true. I do. But are moms supposed to be cool?

The consensus on my generation's mothers is an image of a middle-aged woman who is either not up on the latest trends or who doesn't understand them. My mom is all the latest trends. Yes, she still listens to Enya and yes, she wears Crocs at home, but the face she presents to the world is hip, stylish and very modern.

The parallels between mother and daughter in this instance are strange. I listen to the music that she grew up listening to, while she listens to the music that by rights I should be all over. I'm sure this happens to others, so I know this is no isolated phenomenon, but it is still unnerving to see guys my age looking at my mother instead of me.

On the incredibly bright side, I have lots to look forward to in my future. My grandmother is often mistaken for my mother and has almost no grey hairs, even though she is nearing 70. My mother has been asked if we are sisters by half the male populace of London and by many shopkeepers here and in Vancouver. She is much more stylish than many of my teenaged friends. Ergo, the assumption is that when I am her age and even my grandmother's age, I will still look good. Perhaps I simply haven't reached my peak.

As my mother likes to sing along with Will.I.am of the Black Eyed Peas, "I got it from my Mama." I hope I did.

Asia Wolfe is a 17-year-old Grade 12 student at Stelly's Secondary School.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Asia Wolfe Photograph by: Darren Stone, Times ColonistToday we introduce the second of our teen columnists for this school year, Asia Wolfe. Her column will appear in the Life section on Tuesdays.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Back In Black

Can we see a picture of her mother?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    That would be good

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking And............

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Rick - Work your magic on the Times-Colonist Editors.......... Get that Photo......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

It is my personal theory that the most popular kids have the best looking mothers.
    For example:Martina McBride.Her kids' Mom is smoking hot.
    Sara Evans.Another smoking babe of a Mom will also have popular kids.
    Shania Twain.If I have to explain her,you need glasses and/or are gay.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    It is my personal theory that the most popular kids have the best looking mothers.
    For example:Martina McBride.Her kids' Mom is smoking hot.
    Sara Evans.Another smoking babe of a Mom will also have popular kids.
    Shania Twain.If I have to explain her,you need glasses and/or are gay.
    Where does Britney fit in????
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, she is cute.

I'd love to see the MILF!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firenresq77 View Post
    Where does Britney fit in????
    Well,I don't know about Britney but while Carrie Underwood is hot,I have to watch her videos with the sound turned off.
    I learned that I am not the only one with this condition.On an episode of "That 70s Show"one character was explaining his relationship with an obnoxious girl through the use of flashbacks.In one scene,the girl is wearing agrass skit with a cocoanut bra and is just griping no end.When the scene shifts back to the guys,they are recoiling from her.
    The next flashback shows her dressed as before and you can see that she's talking but you can't hear anything.
    The second guy comments'Wow,you're right.She IS hot!".

Thread Information