MembersZone Subscriber

Default 9 Months Later: It's Finally Finished

Well, after a grueling 9 months of work, our refurb is finally finished. We're looking at a final cost of about $110,000, including some new equipment. All the equipment was transferred Monday night and we put it back into service shortly after that. Here's a rundown of what we did.

1. Remove Onan diesel generator from the rear tailboard and relocate to the top of the hosebed.
    2. Remove 2 rear tank fills and slide the upper half of the rear end back almost 12" closer to the tank while enclosing the rear of the truck with a full width roll up door. This will allow us to put all of the vehicle rescue equipment we currently have crammed in the rig in one location and retain the rest for the pumper for supression activities.
    3. Install new Havis Shields Kwik-Strike 4000 12V HID lighting in the cab and at the pump panel. The cab lights have a outward aimed lighthead and the pump panel lighthead is aimed downward for close in lighting.
    4. Install new Whelen all LED lighting, adding 1 additional lighthead down each side of the rig to improve side warning power.
    5. Install a new Wil-Burt NightScan light tower with Dtec II overhead warning control.
    6. Fix the corrosion that has taken place arround the windows and doors, while repainting the truck with our new paint codes and graphics scheme.

I think that the rear compartment turned out just the way that we wanted it. Plenty of room for just about everything that we wanted to put in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

MembersZone Subscriber

This is what the rear end looked like before construction.

Forum Member

Looks great. What year was the Engine?

MembersZone Subscriber

1993 Sutphen Deluge, 7 man cab, 1000 gallons of water, 1750 gpm pump

Let's talk fire trucks!

Looks like the refurb came out great. What a monster rear compartment too.

Is the cribbing secured in such a manner to keep it from sliding against the roll-up door, preventing it from opening?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

BoxAlarm, you beat me to the question, we had the same problem crop up. We found out the hard way in the middle of the night on the side of the road when we couldn't get the rollup compartment open...oops

MembersZone Subscriber

It will be. Due to a small snafu with the company that was doing the hosebed cover, it didn't get done. That's one of the few things left on the short list. As of right now it gets checked after every run to make sure it's not sliding around.

As for the rear compartment, we couldn't believe how much room there was when we were done fabricating it. It's allowed me to put every piece of cribbing that the PA DOH requires for Basic Level rescue recognition on 1 truck. (except 2 3' 4x4's.) Still haven't figured out where they would go....
    Last edited by RoaddoggAK; 01-08-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Forum Member

How about some pictures of the Mack! Now that is a REAL fire truck!

MembersZone Subscriber

So be it. Here she is. 1951 Mack L-85 I believe. Runs like the day she was new. (or so I'm told, my dad was just being born.) I love taking it out on a nice summer's night and watch the people's reactions!

Forum Member

Thanks for the pict! It's a beauty!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoaddoggAK View Post
    So be it. Here she is. 1951 Mack L-85 I believe. Runs like the day she was new. (or so I'm told, my dad was just being born.) I love taking it out on a nice summer's night and watch the people's reactions!
    From one corner of the Commonwealth to the other, that is pretty!

Forum Member

I would rather have it first due than the refurb!

Here is some food for thought and not to take away for your refurb thread, but this just drives home a point. How much more fire will the new 1901 put out than this 1951 L model? I am not talking about seat belts monitors, airbags, black boxes, yellow vs.red. I am talking about FIRE! That is what these trucks were built to do. Our forefathers got it.

You can not regulate STUPID!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Quint23 View Post
    I would rather have it first due than the refurb!

Here is some food for thought and not to take away for your refurb thread, but this just drives home a point. How much more fire will the new 1901 put out than this 1951 L model? I am not talking about seat belts monitors, airbags, black boxes, yellow vs.red. I am talking about FIRE! That is what these trucks were built to do. Our forefathers got it.

You can not regulate STUPID!
    You're daily driver is a 57 year old sedan?

MembersZone Subscriber

Our forefathers got it.
    Shhh! You'll make T.C's head swell.

Forum Member

Some days its a 67 Chevy 1 ton step side with a 9' box. My grandfather bought it new and I went with him to pick it up at the dealer. No A/C, sunroof or CD player. Standard 4 speed (1st gear is tractor low). No auto anything. It hauls all I can get in it and gets from A to B with no frills and costs under $100/yr to maintain (some years $0's). The Seat belts work great for safety appliances! For the cool factor I where sun glasses just like the kids in the $30,000 + trucks.

The point is all of this new and improved stuff is fine for some. For me common sense has work for a lot of years. If a person doesn't where a (got to be RED) seat belt in a new $500,000 rig you have just wasted your money on all of the new stuff telling you that this person is not very bright. All of this stuff to make sure everything is just right costs $$$$ and will be a maintenance headache in the future. How many of us are still using our 20 year old computers? How many times have you tried to fix that 20 year old computer today? What are you going to do to keep this new rig in service in 2024-29? Will it still be running like this 1951 in 2009 in 2066? You have better buy two of everything now and keep it on the shelf. Also don't let the guy who is working on it retire or die!

The KISS principle has work for me and has kept my wife from collecting insurance: (she keeps asking how much its worth)

1. Put your seat belt on.
    2. Drive like you have the POTUS (President of the United States) is on board.
    3. Stop at stop signs and traffic lights.
    4. Take lights and sirens off tankers.
    5. There is more, but I will stop!

The other point is the 1951 will haul and pump water the same way the new rigs will. Be it at vastly different costs and comfort levels. As long as both are well maintained and your personal are well trained, the fire will go out or if not, burn itself out. I have never seen a basement that wasn't saved and the way most buildings are being constructed today that is all that should be saved.
    Last edited by Quint23; 01-09-2009 at 11:31 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Shhh! You'll make T.C's head swell.
    Be careful he all but come untwisted a little earlier. I am kinda concerned for his well being You OK TC??

Forum Member

2. Drive like you have the POTUS (President of the United States) is on board.
    Have you seen the way some of those guys drive when they are taking him somewhere?????
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firenresq77 View Post
    Have you seen the way some of those guys drive when they are taking him somewhere?????
    Obviously not. If he had he certainly wouldn't have posted that.

Forum Member

Neiowa,you ALMOST got off scott free.No,my daily driver isn't 57 years old but you probably got a better chance of getting to work if it was.You CAN fix those beside the road as opposed to the "new and great".To answer your question Spanky,I'm fine.I checked my BP yesterday and it was a little high.So it was time to vent.It's either you guys or the ol' lady.You do the math.I caught Randy a little off course and nappin' so I snapped him back to reality.You OK with that or do you need a realignment too?The Doc's always in.Now where did I put my Prozac? How come Q23 can figure this out all by his lonesome and it just slides right by the rest of you? That ol' Mack ain't got a fookin' computer,least not one that requires battery power.Just runs and puts out FIRE.Now that's waaaay too simple.But I REALLY DO appreciate all you guys thinking about me.T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    Obviously not. If he had he certainly wouldn't have posted that.
    The point was you will make the national news if something happens to the people (FF and citizens) who have put their lives in your hands. Which you do when you do have a accident with an apparatus. I guess your crew members are not very important? We have had your type before. They seem to find other lines of work.

You must of made the news before with that remark.
    Last edited by Quint23; 01-09-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Forum Member

The point was you will make the national news if something happens to the people (FF and citizens) who have put their lives in your hands. Which you do when you do have a accident with an apparatus. I guess your crew members are not very important? We have had your type before. They seem to find other lines of work.

You must of made the news before with that remark.
    My crew members are not important? Do you read the stuff you comment on or just spew? My type? You have no clue.

I was commenting on the way the Secret Service drives when they have the president on board. If that rankles you, fine. However, I don't see how that warrants a personal attack. Apparently you do. I'll bet you are one big bundle of joy at work.

Forum Member

The way that they drive the POTUS is full out with all intersections blocked and no traffic on the road at all. It would be hard to hit something or have it hit you. Nice in a perfect world, but as you know we are not part of it.

Change the above to quote to read:

2. Taking your new granddaughter home from the hospital. If something happens you will live with it for the rest of your life and so will others.

My apologies for all that had to endure this thread.
    Last edited by Quint23; 01-12-2009 at 11:31 PM.

Thread Information