View Poll Results: Which high-dexterity have you found to be the overall best?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • TechTrade LLC Pro-Tech 8/Titan/Titan K

38 60.32%
  • Chiba Flamex Firefighter

3 4.76%
  • American Firewear Super Glove

14 22.22%
  • Eska Helios/Mars/Supermars

0 0%
  • Fireman's Shield Dragonfire Alpha

1 1.59%
  • The Glove Corp Blazefighter/Blazefighter EXT/FX Fireman

1 1.59%
  • Shelby Koala/Kevlar Crosstech Direct Grip

6 9.52%
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default High Dexterity Structural Glove Poll

Alright, I know that we've discussed Pro-Tech Gloves, Chibas, the Superglove, etc in different threads, but the information has been somewhat scattered, and now somewhat out of date.

I've included all of the newer generation, higher dexterity structural gloves that I know of in the poll. Beyond that basic measurement, I figured the thread would be a good place to break out some of the finer points, pro's and con's, of each glove. Most of us are familiar with several of the models, but some of them are very new to the market, and I haven't heard much or anything about them yet.

I realize that we haven't all tried each glove in the poll, so it doesn't necessarily reflect the "best" glove, but I view it as more of a starting point for discussion and comparison.

And with that, let's drop the gloves...

Edit: It would help if I had included the word "Glove" in the poll heading. Not proof reading carefully enough...
    Last edited by BlitzfireSolo; 01-08-2009 at 07:33 PM.

Forum Member

I really liked the Pro Tech 8 glove but when I got in some real heat my hands were the first to feel it. I also heard that there was a recall or manufacturer announcement that these gloves were melting in high heat? Anyone know of any truth to that? I switched to the American Firewear 9550 (Kangaroo palm, Elk back) glove and not sure I will ever switch. This glove has great dexterity, very easy don/dof, grips even better when wet, and has held up nicely for the past year. Not to mention that it is $30-$40 cheaper than the Super Glove. If you get a chance you all should give them a look see if you have not found a glove you are comfortable with.

Forum Member

Why you would pay 100 bucks for gloves that will shred open on the first shard of glass they hit is beyond me.

Protech is my vote, I have cut them open on a shard of glass and it only went through 2 of the 8 layers of material.

MembersZone Subscriber

jonnyirons,

I'll agree with that sentiment. I've worn through a pair of the PT-8's, and also have a pair of the Super Gloves that I got for $60. The Super Glove is nice in that it is waterproof, and much warmer after the fire (New England winters), but it doesn't come close to the Pro-Tech's dexterity (hence, the Pro-Tech also got my vote in the poll).

I am interested in hearing about some of the others, though, particularly the Dragon Fire. The Illinois Fire Store (where I bought my other two pairs of gloves) has the Dragon Fire for $55, and it says it's waterproof. Maybe RFD599 will chime in here and let us know what kind of feedback they've gotten from the two, comparatively.

We're about to buy new gloves for all our members, and I think that we'd default to the Pro-Tech Titans, but I also wanted to find out a little bit more about the others before we make the move.

Forum Member

Blitzfire:

We have had good luck with the big three (PT8 Titan, Dragonfire and Super Glove).

The Titan is our big mover by a long shot, followed by the Dragonfire and Super Glove.

Each glove has some unique benefits and features, I have three pairs that I use for the FD and during demonstrations and they are in no particular order:

1. PT8 Titan-Currently on my gear and love them
    2. PT8 Original-Backups and still love them
    3. American Firewear Fire Mate Kangaroo Glove-I have had this pair for about 3+ years and they have held up amazingly well and would also give them a huge recommendation.

Currently, PT8 Titans are severely backordered and we have been awaiting gloves for long periods of time. Thank you to all customers that have been patient, we are hoping to get gloves out ASAP, but we are at the mercy of our suppliers.

Thank you again to all and feel free to shoot me an e-mail if you ever have any questions!

Sincerely,

rfd599
    dinges88@hotmail.com
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for your input, RFD.

Based on experience or feedback, would you be able to comment on:

1. Dragonfire - How do they compare dexterity-wise to the PT Titan, and waterproof-wise to the Super Glove?

2. Titan K (Kangaroo) - Does the kangaroo leather seem to make a noticeable difference, either initial fit and/or after some use?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

We recently bought all new gloves we went with the Shelby FDP style # 5226 donít really know the name but the above link will take you right to them. I had purchased a pair of ProTech 8's before we got our new ones. One department close to me had a problem with a couple of ProTech gloves burning though a couple layers in the area between thumb and index finger. They still use ProTech's no other problems. I love my ProTechís. My new Shelby's are my backup gloves my ProTech's are strapped on my helmet. ProTech gets my vote.

Forum Member

Blitz:

The Dragonfire seems to be as water resistant as the Super Glove, but I have never compared them head-to-head, nor do I currently have a pair of Super Gloves in use (only the AF Fire Mates).

In regards to the Titan K, I also can't give an accurate statement since I have only seen them at shows. We have not received any Titan K's to date.

Thank you and I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm gonna have to agree with Nick

I use the PT8 Titans as my primary glove, and the PT8 Original as my back up, and I love both of them.
    Sincerely,

JuniorAFPD
    juniorafpd@gmail.com

Forum Member

I love my ProTechs
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just curious if anyone else out there has had experience with the American Firewear/Morningpride Sleevemates. I believe MP originally made them for the Navy and then Houston went to them. Everytime the glove debate opens up, it seems that no one else has ever heard of them or had any experience with them.

FWIW I voted Chiba, but currently we aren't allowed to wear anything except the crappy issued gloves or buy our own Sleevemates. Have never worn the Pro Techs.

Stay Safe
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

MembersZone Subscriber

We were issued the Glove Corp Firefighters. They are SUPER tight at first, but after a few uses open up. They are NOT waterproof at all, but they do have real good dexterity.

A few fellow recruits were having durability issues, and the inner lining was pulling away showing the BBP barrier. This could get very hot if you don't catch it.

edit: I won;t vote, however, because I've only tried these, long cuff Firefighters, and Shelby gloves.
    Last edited by GaiusPaul; 01-20-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cap6888 View Post
    Just curious if anyone else out there has had experience with the American Firewear/Morningpride Sleevemates.
    We have the Morning Pride Sleevemates, and while most of our guys like them, I HATE them. Big, huge, and clumsy compared to the ProTechs. The only good thing is the extra large gauntlet and cinch-strap that does prevent debris from going into the glove. Plus they are VERY expensive (>$125). We're switching to the ProTechs and the guys that have 'em love 'em. Now if ProTech would copy the Sleevemate gauntlet, that would be an awesome glove.

Default Glove dexterity poll

Interesting comments overall but isn't everyone (see Fireman 504) sick and tired already of the absurd rumors and other misrepresentations about the Pro-Tech 8 gloves! How many more lies about recalls, misrespresentations about melting etc etc... do we have to listen to? Why is the glove being constantly trashed by these rumors and lies? Is that what happens when you build a better mouse trap?
    PPE is a very competitive high stakes business to be sure. Don't be mislead about the Pro-Tech 8 gloves or any other PPE. Take the time to find out the facts! In today's internet world that is a very simple process...

Thread Information