Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shining an axe

Forum Member

Default Shining an axe

I have an old (yes, heavily rusted) axe I would like to bring new life to. I am thinking of starting with a wire wheel on a grinder for the first layer, steel wool to follow, and a soft, cloth buffer with a metal polish to finish. Does this sound like a good game plan? I would love some some input if you have any. Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

The wirewheel with the grinder should work out for you. You might not even need the polish when you are done if you do it properly.
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by RESERVEFORNOW View Post
    I have an old (yes, heavily rusted) axe I would like to bring new life to. I am thinking of starting with a wire wheel on a grinder for the first layer, steel wool to follow, and a soft, cloth buffer with a metal polish to finish. Does this sound like a good game plan? I would love some some input if you have any. Thanks in advance.
    How polished do you want it? Clean enough to look good on the apparatus, or shiny enought to give away as a retirement present?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    How polished do you want it? Clean enough to look good on the apparatus, or shiny enought to give away as a retirement present?
    This will be an axe I carry on our truck, so it will be more for a good looking "working" axe rather than a plaque axe. I do however, take a great deal of pride in what I do. Being a probationary Firefighter, I would like to use this opportunity to show that attribute. Thanks Dennis and E58.

MembersZone Subscriber

You might want to consider using a bronze wire wheel rather than steel wires. Not sure on an axe face but steel may leave a lot of "whiskers" which will take a lot to buff out afterwards.

Forum Member

Some rubbing compound and a car buffer as a second to last step, then use some metal polish and the buffer for the gleaaam...

Quote Originally Posted by RESERVEFORNOW View Post
    Is this your axe?
    If so use a good wire brush on it and then use it on cutting wood. Keep it out of the fire house.

If it is the departments, use the wire brush on it and once you have removed the rust, a piece of sand paper will help the rest. Apply a very thin coat of oil on it and you are good to go.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

If the handle is not in it and you're in a rural area, ask a farmer if you can chain it up behind his tractor when he's discing a field. It will polish out without any elbow grease from you.

You can stop laughing now Dickey.
    IAFF

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

What I use at work is a wire cup in a right angle grinder. I polish the axes to a beautiful shine then coat them with a rust preventative spray.

If the wire cup leaves it looking too rough for you use 220 grit sandpaper in a random orbital sander to buff out the wire marks.

Thread Information