Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Volunteer Department near Hoffman Estates?

Hey all, I'm a CT volunteer firefighter and EMT-B (National Registry, too) and I have just taken a job at Sears Holdings in Hoffman Estates. I really want to continue volunteering, but I know that Hoffman Estates has an all-career department. Are there any towns nearby that have a volunteer set-up? I would prefer strictly fire, but EMS calls are fine too. I'll be moving to the region in July and would like to figure out where the best place is to live to continue volunteering. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are plenty of combination departments due west & north of the area.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the quick reply. I've looked into about 30-35 towns/villages in the area today and it looks like most of them have a set up of either 100% career or career/POC mixed. Obviously I'd be trying to go for a POC type situation.

Do you know what the application process is like for these departments? It seems like a lot of them want IL FFII before I even apply. I have FFI in CT, which I have no idea if it is transferable to IL. Some even want IL EMT-B, which I can get through National Registry. Are those requirements pretty strict or is there usually some laxness? I don't see how they could recruit too many people, especially for the part time positions, if the starting requirements are so high, unless they are aiming for people that have already been on the job or something.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's a pretty concentrated area around there so the availability is there, however since you already have some experience you can talk with the chiefs or TO's to see if they will sponsor you for your FFII. As for your FF I unless you have the national certification sticker on the certificate, it has no weight. In addition we got rid of the FF I about 16 years ago.

Thread Information