Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Gun pulled on EMS crew

This would get the adrenaline levels up.

Edmonton man pulls gun on crews sent to help

By Jamie Hall and Elise Stolte, edmontonjournal.comJanuary 9, 2009Comments (13)

StoryPhotos ( 1 )

Edmonton police arrest a man who allegedly pulled a handgun on fire and ambulance crews after a traffic accident in the area of 111th Avenue and 163rd Street on Jan. 9.
    Photograph by: Walter Tychnowicz/Edmonton Journal, Edmonton JournalEDMONTON - A man involved in a crash Friday morning allegedly pulled a loaded gun on Edmonton fire and ambulance crews who responded to the call.

Bystanders saw paramedics dive for cover, then the man stumble from the ambulance still dangling the handgun in one hand.

The man had been driving a delivery truck that was involved in a collision with several parked vehicles on a service road at 111th Avenue and 158th Street just before 10:30 a.m., said Edmonton Police Service spokeswoman Karen Carlson.

Bystanders said the man was unconscious at first, even though the truck was only moving about 15 kilometres per hour before it hit. When he started to come to, he spoke only gibberish.

Carlson said that as paramedics were treating the driver of the delivery truck in the back of the ambulance, they spotted a handgun.

Before they could react, the man grabbed the gun and pointed it at them.

The fire crew at the scene also scrambled to get behind the fire truck, while yelling at those in nearby business to stay indoors.

West Division officers arrested a man in his mid-20s without incident minutes later about 200 metres away. They seized a loaded handgun with three full clips of ammunition.

Charges are pending.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

YIKES!

Is it just me, or does it seem like Edmonton has been having more and more violent crimes lately?
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    YIKES!

Is it just me, or does it seem like Edmonton has been having more and more violent crimes lately?

Nope you're right Sheri. Both Edmonton and Calgary. Mostly fueled by drugs and control of trade in same. Naitve gangs vs Asian and South Asian gangs. A lot are better armed than the police.

I hope the cops gave him some aluminum shampoo
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post

I can pretty well guarantee that didn't happen. The poor cop that even thought about it would be in a similar position to a carpenter over 2000 years ago. Civil rights, kinder gentler society etc.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Here's an update:

Sat, January 10, 2009

Dangerous day for paramedics Patient pulls gun on EMS

By RICHARD LIEBRECHT, SUN MEDIA

Two city paramedics bailed out of an ambulance yesterday when a patient drew a handgun.

It's the first time Edmonton paramedics have ever been threatened with a firearm, says the city's EMS chief.

At 10: 30 a.m. yesterday, the paramedics attended a crash near 158 Street and 111 Avenue, where a work truck had collided with parked cars.

Attendants took the male driver, who was in his mid-20s, into the back of the ambulance and began examining him.

That's when they saw he had a handgun tucked into his waistband, said EPS spokesman Karen Carlson.

The man then allegedly pointed it at the paramedics.

The pair darted out of the ambulance and ran to a waiting fire truck.

"One went out the side and one went out the back," said Edmonton EMS Chief Joe Acker.

Emergency crews on scene immediately warned drivers in the area to lock their doors, Acker added.

"Since this is so rare, I can only commend their actions," he said.

It took a couple of minutes for the man to leave the ambulance.

He walked away from the scene, said Carlson.

Police found him walking along 163 Street. They drew their weapons, but took the man down without incident, said Carlson.

Police found a gun and holster on the man, along with extra ammunition.

He's facing charges.

Acker said the paramedics are coping well with the incident.

"I went down there immediately after, and they're doing extremely well," he said.

Both workers held a meeting with the EMS chaplain and other co-workers to talk about the incident.

Acker said that paramedics followed the rules on assessing risk, but there were no signs the man had a gun when he was taken for treatment.

"Up to the point they had him in the back of the ambulance, there was no indication of any threat," Acker said.

Paramedics occasionally see knives pulled, said Acker, but this is the first time any paramedic in the city has faced a gun.

"In general, their job is very dangerous. Even standing on the side of the road in traffic is dangerous. They're dealing with strange people, some with mental illness," Acker said.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    similar position to a carpenter over 2000 years ago.
    OUCH!!!!! But true
    DixieFire53, Deputy Fire Chief FF/EMT-P, Local 272

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    I can pretty well guarantee that didn't happen. The poor cop that even thought about it would be in a similar position to a carpenter over 2000 years ago. Civil rights, kinder gentler society etc.
    If it was in Philadelphia, Pa. his teeth would have sounded like a handful of chicklets as they hit the pavement.

MembersZone Subscriber

If it was in Philadelphia, Pa. his teeth would have sounded like a handful of chicklets as they hit the pavement.
    Different places, different methods. Same with firefighting.

And thats the way it should be.......
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

If you ever run with a volunteer fire department in the Souteastern corner of McCracken County Kentucky(outside of Paducah),and during the call the Chief starts screaming for "Anyone near my car get the sock!",he is NOT asking for you to fold his laundry.
    If he thinks anyone is posing a threat to his people,the local S.O would be all over them getting any situation other than fire suppression and medical service under control.

Forum Member

My first EMS run in the state of Fla with a vollie ambulance...guy comes out of his house with a large butcher knife as we start to walk in, make a beeline for the rig..haul butt..come back when Deputy shows up as he shoots him twice in the chest. Wayyyyy before staging policies, never forget scene safety, even if it sounds corny, we always roll our "customers.

He FELL buff, he fell. They couldn't help that it happened right about the time he got outside the camera's view.

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840 View Post
    He FELL buff, he fell. They couldn't help that it happened right about the time he got outside the camera's view.
    You think Philly cops are bothered by cameras? In fact the cameraman would have gotten his OWN shampoo!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840 View Post
    yeah he fell, repeatedly. Hope he got that inner ear problem looked at once in custody.
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

Forum Member

In some cases,the law doggies are a bigger problem than the patient.
    On one call,a deputy came out with a shotgun he'd taken from someone and proceeded to lay it on his shoulder.
    He then turned around to respond to a question from his LT and didn't know he was pointing the barrel at a group of firefighters.
    This is one of the times I did the right thing .Maybe I shouldn't have yelled as loudly as I did but I wanted to draw his attention back to what he was doing.
    So what if they heard me two counties to the West and we were on the SE corner of ours?Everyone knew that he was pointing a shotgun where he shouldn't have been.

I had a incident kinda like that about 17 years or so back. I was a medic on a unit in the lower income part of town. We get dispatched to an address for a "female that has fallen" when we pull up there is a very large group of people standing in the street. We did not think much about it because in this area large crowds were very common. Any way as we start walking up to the apartment the crowd suddenly turns violent towards each other. When we arrived, what we did not notice was the two very distinctive groups about to square off with each other. So me and my partner walk directly into a huge gang fight. Of couse we reverse course and head for the medic unit. I am sure I hit several people with my O2 bag because I was pretty much swinging at anyone that was blocking my path back to the unit. We called dispatch for PD and gave an size up of our situation. With in seconds we could hear sirens coming from every direction know to man. PD arrives and get the crowd under control enough for us to make it into the scene to the patient. When we got to her she sure enough had fallen, what they did not tell us unitl we got there was that she had "fallen" off a second story balcony. While we were boarding the patient the brother of the girl we were treating arrived to take care of the guy that had made her "fall". He was carrying in plane site a handgun. Well, we are treating this patinet and start to hear a bunch of yelling by the cops. I turn around to see what is going on and see about 15 cops with guns drawn not 25 feet from us and the only thing between us and them is you gueesed it, the patients brother with the gun. We were like what the hell forget the C-Spine we tossed her on the cot and hauled it back to the medic unit. At the hospital we got to talking to the cops about the incident and after talking I figured they were more scared of the situation than us because they were all saying we knew we yall were right there when we saw the gun on him. We learned a very valuable lesson about scene size up that night one I will never forget.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

This is why we should all be wearing vests. Not one we throw over the uniform when the dispatch is a shooting or stabbing. All the time.

Not a guarantee of safety, no. But possibly a second chance (not to be taken as an endorsement of Second Chance).

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Just a word about "flak" vests etc. They only work for ballistics weapons. They have ABSOLUTELY no stopping power from bladed weapons, such as knives. Its something to do with the weave of the material. I should add, the vest has no stopping power against a stabbing motion.

not only that, but vests don't help if you are shot in the head, waist, arms or legs.....
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Thread Information