MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Investigation software

I have another question I'd like to ask the audience...what fire investigation software are you using and why?

My organization is currently using Firehouse for its management of records. This includes a module for fire investigations and arson based incidents. The problem is that this is based primarily on NFIRS and is geared more towards incendiary fires rather than fire investigations in general.

I have ran across software programs made specifically for fire investigations such as FireFiles. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of software and if it is worth looking into. I am hoping to find a program that can better track investigations along with Firehouse, rather than being limited by using Firehouse alone.

As always, thanks in advance for your comments.

CFEI / CFII

Quote Originally Posted by ASP2008 View Post
    I have another question I'd like to ask the audience...what fire investigation software are you using and why?

My organization is currently using Firehouse for its management of records. This includes a module for fire investigations and arson based incidents. The problem is that this is based primarily on NFIRS and is geared more towards incendiary fires rather than fire investigations in general.

I have ran across software programs made specifically for fire investigations such as FireFiles. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of software and if it is worth looking into. I am hoping to find a program that can better track investigations along with Firehouse, rather than being limited by using Firehouse alone.

As always, thanks in advance for your comments.
    We use Microsoft Word. We created template headers based on the scientific method in 921.
    Under each head we type the appropriate narrative.
    We have a photo log etc.
    I donít like the menu driven software programs because they do not allow for any exceptions.
    Our reports when give to the jury is easy to understand.
    The firehouse program or any other menu driven programs generate reports that are not easily read by a lay person. Worse yet they are not easily read by a prosecuting attorney who is reading your report and trying to decide if the case is worth taking.

When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
    "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
    But when 'tis out and all things righted,
    God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.
    ~Author unknown, from The Fireman's Journal, 18 Oct 1879

Forum Member

Default I agree

I agree with you Cubbie. We use microsoft office as well, I think it allows you to be flexible and creative in your investigation. The software based
    data integration is too convoluted and hard to read.

Forum Member

We used MS Word as well for the reports. However, we have begun using ATF's BATS system as well. BATS allows for entering names, vehicles, devices, components, etc, and and makes them search-able to anyone that uses BATS system wide. Reports are designated by the author as either restricted or non-restricted. Obviously, non-restricted is available to read by any BATS user and restricted will let someone who "hits" on something in your report see your contact information only so you can decide what information is OK to pass on. It has its' short comings but it has one feature that can't be beat - IT'S FREE. The more agencies that use it, the more everyone benefits as the stored information pool grows.

http://www.officer.com/article/artic...on=18&id=27031

The above link to an article at Officer gives a good basic description of the program.

Thread Information