Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FD1976 View Post
    Doors are on the rear???
    The doors maybe on the rear for ladder storage , but I do not think that you can store equipment in the rear body section?

Forum Member

I'm almost speechless. What a difference in the before and after. Hopefully they will get another 10-15 years of life out of it.

I am impressed.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WoodbridgeFFII View Post
    The doors maybe on the rear for ladder storage , but I do not think that you can store equipment in the rear body section?
    This does bring up an interesting issue. Is the lack of compartment space in the rearmost area by design, to ensure the rear axles remain at a safe load range? Or are there compartment doors on the rear in the area of the turn signals and brake lights?

Overall the truck looks great, but I'm not a fan of the large diamond plate rear end. To me it looks a little too refurb vs. painted and striped to match. But alas, functionality over all else.

Forum Member

Great looking rig. Wish PMFD the best of luck with it for many more years of service.
    Can anyone tell me the approximate cost of the refurb? I had heard around $700,000 or so.

Forum Member

I heard it might be here in the next couple of weeks. Will need to be graphic up and made ready for action but i am sure we will all be excited to see it.
    The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men. ~Henry David Thoreau

Forum Member

I got to get up close and personal with this rig in Clintonville a few weeks ago and let me tell you, she is a BEAUT!!
    Stay safe.

Forum Member

The Pelham machine is at the dealer getting lettered, etc.

I spoke to both the dealer and the Seagrave refurb manager as we are considering doing the same thing to our 1973 Aerialscope.

I can't speak to what Pelham's cost, but ours (which would be remarkably similar) would $700k+.

GVW is apparently 49000. Our Pierce engine (shortish wheelbase, 750 gal tank) weighs 43000. I think it came in several thousand pounds lighter than expected.

Someone earlier mentioned the lack of space at the rear- if we get such a machine, it will likely be short there too. We have a lot of steep driveways and sideroads, and do not want to scrape the back of the machine off.

If we decide to go this route we will have to sell it to the community as an additional 30 to 35 years of service life, which means the boom will be 65 years old. That's a big deal. On the other hand, I don't think we could even consider that for anything else but an Aerialscope.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Spackler View Post

Someone earlier mentioned the lack of space at the rear- if we get such a machine, it will likely be short there too. We have a lot of steep driveways and sideroads, and do not want to scrape the back of the machine off.
    My question of the lack of space is in reference to the empty space between the bucket access ladder and the rearmost point of the truck? There seems to be a big blank space on either side.

Forum Member

Seagraves page for Pelham Manor's delivery:
    http://www.seagrave.com/index.cfm?di...nID=3&chassis=

And the line drawing pdf file:
    http://my.seagrave.com/ContentManage...0Rechassis.pdf

Forum Member

Just came back from an up close look at the rig at Excelsior. I have nothing but good things to say about the job Seagrave did and the guys at Excelsior. As far as we can tell it was money well spent and we hope to be able to do the same. Kudos to the guys in Clintonville for the work and to Pelham Manor for taking the chance and following it through.

Cogs

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TOWER412 View Post
    Seagraves page for Pelham Manor's delivery:
    http://www.seagrave.com/index.cfm?di...nID=3&chassis=

And the line drawing pdf file:
    http://my.seagrave.com/ContentManage...0Rechassis.pdf

I'm sure this is just because I have NO clue how to read CAD drawings like this...but. Are there only two seats in the back, the two rear facing ones? Are there any other flip downs in it or anything?

Other than that, seems like a great truck. Hope you'll get another 20+ years out of this baby!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    I'm sure this is just because I have NO clue how to read CAD drawings like this...but. Are there only two seats in the back, the two rear facing ones? Are there any other flip downs in it or anything?

Other than that, seems like a great truck. Hope you'll get another 20+ years out of this baby!
    Yes only two rear facing seats. The rig rides with a 4 man crew so more seats are unnecessary for their operations. Flip downs are available as is one of the larger Marauder II series cabs with seating for up to 8 - 10.

Cogs

Forum Member

But from what I can work out, its fairly well up their on weight limits, can you get more crew on it or a bigger cab, or is that as good as it gets ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pumper8032 View Post
    But from what I can work out, its fairly well up their on weight limits, can you get more crew on it or a bigger cab, or is that as good as it gets ?
    Again larger cabs are available with seating for up to 10 I believe. The rig as is could also carry additional personnel with the addition of flip down seats. PM chose a four man seating arrangement because that is how they operate. Not sure how much weight would be added with a bigger cab though.

For all intents and purposes this is a brand new rig and as such there is flexibility in designing one. Only the boom and outrigger assemblies are from the old Mack and they have been completely rebuilt to 2010 standards. The cab/chassis is spec built by Seagrave as they would be for any new 'Scope. There are limitations of course, like less compartment space, but for those of us who want to keep the same basic size and weight of an older Scope this option is surely the way to go. While a bit pricy at about 700Gs and change, the fact is the builders of Aerialscope are building you a new rig, not another manufacturer without access to all the propietary hardware ect. With that I think in this case you will get what you pay for and it will be money well spent..

Cogs
    Last edited by FFPCogs08; 11-08-2009 at 06:46 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFPCogs08 View Post
    PM chose a four man seating arrangement because that is how they operate. Cogs
    kudos to them. I am chagrined at the number of departments that cry over manpower and funding, and then go out and purchased 8 man cabs, usually resulting in 5 empty seats.

When did enclosed ladder wells begin appearing on 'scopes, and is it an NFPA requirement? While I like how this rig turned out, it just seems that the rear end is over-engineered and isn't really an improvement over the original Mack design.

Forum Member

I heard that the rig was coming in this week. Any new info?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigrig77 View Post
    I heard that the rig was coming in this week. Any new info?
    It has been delivered. I hope to have photos to share later this evening.

Forum Member

Oh cool. I will have to swing by this weekend and take a look. Is it in service and responding?

Forum Member

Was delivered this week.

Special thanks go out to 2361 for the photos!!!! (great shots too!)

Sold By:
    Excelsior Fire Equipment Sales, LLC
    Mamaroneck, New York

Photos by and (c) 2361

Last edited by WestTac1; 11-19-2009 at 01:31 PM.

Forum Member

And one more awesome shot by 2361:

I should also note that the truck was sold by:
    Mamaroneck, New York
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Great pics and a great thread.

Forum Member

LOOK FOR A SPECIAL "BEFORE AND AFTER" FEATURE COMING TO EMTBRAVO.COM THIS WEEKEND, WITH FULL SPECS AND BEFORE/AFTER COMPARISON PHOTOS!!!

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by WestTac1 View Post
    And one more awesome shot by 2361:

I should also note that the truck was sold by:
    Mamaroneck, New York
    You gotta love the BULLDOG, it is something to remind the department of there good old Mack CF chassis that they ran for many years. Great job guys!!!

Forum Member

We originally wanted to put the bulldog on our Pierce chassis and took it off before the Mack left for Wisconsin but it was never mounted.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Steve,seems as though a clever a group as you have,that minor oversight could be corrected. T.C,

Thread Information