Thread: Sled Drive

Forum Member

Default Sled Drive

Wondering if any one has some recommendations for exercises that they have done or heard of that can increase my power for moving a 115lbs sled with a 10 pound hammer. I don't have access to a large tire to hit, but belong to a gym and didn't know what I could do to improve strength.

MembersZone Subscriber

Kettlebell/dumbbell swings, romanian deadlifts, power cleans, medium grip chins, ab wheel rollouts, and lying ez curl french presses(skull crushers). Have fun traumatizing the sled.

Forum Member

edpmedic,

Thanks for the info, I look forward to trying them out. Could you use dumbbells instead of kettle bells, I don't think they have those at the gym.

When you say "Kettlebell/dumbbell swings" do you mean swinging it from a squat position to full stand over the head?

MembersZone Subscriber

Full squat to about eye level should be fine, as it's all about the explosive hip extension. Using dumbbells, do them one handed. Two handed is awkward, and two dumbbells at once doesn't work well. On www.rosstraining.com there's good video footage of dumbbell swings. On Dave Draper's site, there's instruction on how to build your own plate loaded swing device. The link is on Rosstraining's blog.

Forum Member

Think you could find some crossties? Place them side by side, stand on the outside two and smack the middle one.
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

MembersZone Subscriber

Default car tire

I don't know if you have a yard but if you do you can use a small tire. Fill the tire with sandbags thread the inside with rope and hit it!

Forum Member

Some really good ideas, been checking out ross training. Been looking around for a junk yard to see if they have any old tires and fill it with sand bags. I wish I could find some crossties, they must be expensive, but a good idea!

Forum Member

I think somewhere like Lowe's might have some for landscaping. You can get tires for free at most tire places. They have to pay to recycle them so they will give them to you for free. A tractor place would probably hook you up too if you wanted a big one.
    Last edited by hefightsfire99; 01-13-2009 at 09:05 PM.
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

Forum Member

Just wondering if anyone holds the middle of the sledge hammer bar? I've seen some hold close to the top and some close to the bottom of the bar. Just looking to see what produces the best force.

Thanks for the help!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hefightsfire99 View Post
    You can get tires for free at most tire places. They have to pay to recycle them so they will give them to you for free. A tractor place would probably hook you up too if you wanted a big one.
    Yup, check your local tire store for a semi tire, they are around 100-125 pounds. I'm sure you'll get one for free.

Forum Member

Default Tractor Tire

Quote Originally Posted by hefightsfire99 View Post
    You can get tires for free at most tire places. They have to pay to recycle them so they will give them to you for free. A tractor place would probably hook you up too if you wanted a big one.
    I just picked up an old tractor/earthmover type tire from a scrap yard on Tuesday. The manager of the scrap yard said he usually charges people $30-40 for an old large tire since this particular scrap yard has a high demand coming from personal trainers, bodybuilders, boxing gyms, etc. With the way the economy is, I don't blame him for trying to make money off of junk. But lucky for me I happen to be wearing one of my old fire academy T-shirts and the manager noticed my fire department sticker on my truck, so he gave me the tire for free! After thanking the manager, he said with a grin "Now you know if you were a cop, I'd have to charge you!" I laughed and then noticed a "Back The Red" sticker on his office door!

F.Y.I.: I think I've seen someone post this before, but it dosen't hurt to repeat. To find out the weight of a tire, get the make, model, and size info. from the sidewall of the tire. Then take that info. and google it online. The search will probably take you to a tire retail site and it can give you the tire's weight when the tire was brand new. Do a visual inspection of your tire to see how much tread wear your tire has and subtract an estimated amount of weight to compensate for the tread wear. I was hoping to find a tire in the 300-400 lbs. range. After researching my tire's info., I found that my tire weighed 470 lbs. brand new. So I figure my tire now weighs somewhere between 420-450 lbs. The more weight, the better!

Forum Member

My brother owns a Trucking company lol so he just gave me a tire and its pretty damn heavy lol
    ALL gave some, Some gave ALL always remember 343

Thread Information