Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Bankruptcy effects

I am interest in becoming a FF however I have run into some hard times and was wondering how this would effect my ability to land a job.

I started a small business and invested all of my savings. Unfortunately things got rough and we didn't do as well as expected. The business ended putting me in debt a substantial amount. I am unable to pay the loans and will be forced to declare bankruptcy soon.

How will a year old bankruptcy affect my ability to become a fire fighter?

It will effect you. Even with bankruptcy you need to try and pay those debts back. It will be looked at a little more favorably if you are still trying to pay those debts back. An try to recover from the Bankruptcy quickly showing you are making your new credit payments and the Bankruptcy was a one time thing!
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMH View Post
    I am interest in becoming a FF however I have run into some hard times and was wondering how this would effect my ability to land a job.

I started a small business and invested all of my savings. Unfortunately things got rough and we didn't do as well as expected. The business ended putting me in debt a substantial amount. I am unable to pay the loans and will be forced to declare bankruptcy soon.

How will a year old bankruptcy affect my ability to become a fire fighter?
    How about you try for the job and let things fall the way they will fall. I know many many guys who got on with big depts., and small depts. who had far less then perfect credit histories, and far from perfect backgrounds. The one thing they did was TRY! Don't come on here looking for a good answer. Go out there and try. Remember the same guys you are asking on here are trying for some of the same jobs you are. Getting one guy out of their way (you) is one less person they need to compete against. Then you will have the guys who make it sound like Jesus Christ himself would have a hard time getting on the job. To sum it up GO OUT THERE AND BE YOURSELF!! if you dont try you will regret it.

I by no right told him not to try. I could care less if him or anyone else is at the same test as me. Everyone starts at the same place and you only beat yourself. Was just trying to give him some advice to keep himself out of the way a little bit.
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Forum Member

Fire Depts like to hire what they see as "stable people", and by no means does having a bankruptcy consider you unstable. As long as you aren't living out of your car or wearing the same clothes everyday (or at least throughout the interview process) then you shouldn't worry. Try for the job and give it 100% effort. Two things going for you is that some dept's don't do a credit check and some don't rely heavily on it after meeting and interviewing you. I would recommend honesty during the interview but I also wouldn't harp on it, or make it seem like it bogs you down 365 days a year. The entrepreneurial spirit is what this country is founded on and maybe that could help. No one predicted this economy and business' are going out at record numbers.

Good Luck.

Forum Member

Failure to act on a bankruptcy would be bad, but I think the fact that A.) You were doing your own business (risk taker), B.) acknowledgment of a problem (overcoming adversity), and C.) Rebuilding.

That in it self, with a structured explanation, would be an awesome interview question.

Forum Member

If you had to declare bankruptcy because you maxed out your credit cards and lived outside of your means, that's one thing, but you took a risk on a business that failed so it will probably be seen in a more forgiving light. Most businesses do fail early on. The most important thing, as mentioned earlier, is to work on repaying your debts even if you file for bankruptcy. Making amends is hugely important in the eyes of those looking to hire firefighters.

It may also take you several years to get hired so just do what's right and keep your eye on the goal. Turn this into a positive situation and don't let it stop you.

Thread Information