Forum Member

Default Looking for additional Grants

Does anyone know of any grants available to Fire service besides Assistance to Firefighters grant program? We are trying to secure funding to build a second station and are open to grants, loans, fund raisers, anything short of knocking off a liquor store.
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

If you are in a rural area, try a Rural Development grant from USDA. We are pursuing this for our new station.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    If you are in a rural area, try a Rural Development grant from USDA. We are pursuing this for our new station.
    I googled them and found a not very helpful website. Can you point me in the right direction to get some more information on this?

Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Lump532 View Post
    I googled them and found a not very helpful website. Can you point me in the right direction to get some more information on this?

Thanks.

I'm not really sure. Most of the legwork of the grant application was done for us by a local engineering firm who has a lot of experience obtaining USDA grants for parish projects. You might check with your local county officials to see if they have any knowledge of this program. Or, if you dig a little on the USDA website you might be able to find some contact info for the regional office that covers your area, and they could probably help you out.

I'd highly recommend getting someone with your county or municipality to assist you with this. The grant application is pretty complex compared to an AFG application and they'll want a lot of detailed data regarding your area's demographics. I know that the guy who helped us had to submit a pretty thick stack of documentation, and they contacted him several times for more info.
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 01-13-2009 at 04:29 AM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Try here for a start...

http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/co/
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

That site is better than what i found. Thanks a lot for the start!

Forum Member

You can also look on Kurts website at Chief Grants and it has a link. We were able to get funding to replace our mini pumper. They funded a majority of it, and the city was able to finance the remaining amount at a pretty low rate.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tax Excempt Status

MT,

Tax excempt is the way to go. Obtain excempt status for your fire association. Then you will have access to private grant sources. A couple private ones are Dennis Leary foundation, and Stephen and Tabitha King foundation.

Thanks Paul
    "There's no such thing as a bad day,
    Some are just better than others." JFR 1914-1997

MembersZone Subscriber

You could also look into Community Development Block Grants (CDBG). We're getting ready to put one in to purchase and convert an existing building into a station, and I know of several departments that have utilized CDBG's to build stations.

I found some information here, but I know ours is going to have to go through the state's Department of Economic Development. The kicker on ours (with us being a district) is that we can't apply ourselves, we have to use either the City or the County as a "host agency" as they limit these grants to cities and counties.

It's pretty paperwork intensive from my understanding (our grant writer happens to be my mother, so she's showing me a lot of the ins and outs). The application alone is 60 pages. That's not including all the agreements with the city and county, building specs, modification quotes, etc. that are going to be added.

If you can find someone who writes them locally that knows their way through them, they seem to be a good way to go.

MembersZone Subscriber

If anyone is politically active this would be a great "opportunity" to influence the process. Do some calling/"lobbying".

The Osamabama administration has been actively soliciting the states and COGS for "ready to go" porkbarrel project. Tons of BS being thrown out by the big cities and states. NYC alone apparently has about $4B in building project they claim they could start on within 120days. BS.

Now assume that the FG folks administered a program for new stations for rural/small FD. None of the "Fire Chief" magazine Taj stuff. Say $250-500k for choice of 3 or 4 standard designs. They pay for materials and HVAC equipment for steel frame building, energy efficient bells/whistles, ground source heatpump, backup generator, and erection of building on your lot. FD can finish off as desired as local match. Likely could easily find a valid home for 5000 stations in the US.

Then add $500M/yr for the next 5yr for apparatus to the FG program.

New admin plans to print billions and blow it. Perhaps some could do some good when routed thru a program as effective as FG has been. Call your Senator/Rep.

MembersZone Subscriber

that is a great idea. I just wish I felt confident that the President-Elect has the needs of the local responders on his list.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Illinois has "regional planning commissions" that will do paperwork, etc. for CDBGs but like was mentioned, a district can't apply for that. Same goes for rural development, a district isn't eligible for building funds but city and county goverments are. Might take an agreement with them - they build the building, you use it.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

It's funny that this thread started today seeing as that I just talked with Rural Development in depth yesterday about trying to replace some of our shed's with actual fire stations. Unfortunately, either the median household income is barely too much or where the median household fits for a grant the population is too great!

I had big expectations for this program and they were shot down in a blaze of glory yesterday! Good luck to everyone else with this program!

MembersZone Subscriber

If 2000 census "Median Household Income" does not make sense given your knowledge of the local area you can conduct a income survey.

Census only does detailed survey of something like 2% of households. So if, by chance, in your community of 100 households the Census contacted a doctor, a union firefighter, and a village idoit (who's fun for the day was lying on the survey) you may end up with a income of $30100 (10% grant).

Bar on the survey is high. As I recall, need an 80% response which in a survey is very very high (if the local high income households were non- responders that might be good). USDA can give you details on their currect brackets (income vs grant %). May be able to advise you on the survey requirements which you can do.

Forum Member

Census only does detailed survey of something like 2% of households. So if, by chance, in your community of 100 households the Census contacted a doctor, a union firefighter, and a village idoit (who's fun for the day was lying on the survey) you may end up with a income of $30100 (10% grant).

I almost died laughing when I read about the village idiot. That is what we call our Village administrator

Thread Information