Thread: Give Me A Break

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Exclamation Give Me A Break

Grimm Times For Kids

Survey: Parents are ditching fairy tales, calling them too scary and not P.C. enough.

By JERE HESTER Updated 6:31 AM EST, Tue, Jan 13, 2009

Some parents aren't reading their kids fairy tales like "Cinderella," saying the stories more scary than charming, and potentially offensive. Others think that view is pure overprotective fantasy.

Once upon a time, there was a generation of parents who decided not to read their children fairy tales.

This fairy tale is too scary. This fairy tale is too offensive. Happy-all-the-time stories are just right!

British parents are skipping bedtime readings of “Snow White,” “Cinderella,” “Little Red Riding Hood” and other classic fairy tales, saying the stories are too frightening for little ones and aren’t always politically correct, a survey found.

The poll, by thebabywebsite.com, a UK-based operation, concluded that most parents would rather send their youngsters off to lullaby land with less danger-plagued pals like “The Very Hungry Caterpillar,” “Winnie the Pooh” and “Thomas the Tank Engine.”

Among the findings in the survey of 3,000 parents:

•Some 65 percent of parents prefer to read their children generally happy tales than anything from the Brothers Grimm repertoire.

•A fifth of parents complain fairy tales aren't politically correct (The depiction of Snow White’s pals, the dwarfs, offended some, for example).

•Some 17 percent worry fairy tales will give their children nightmares.

•A third of parents banned Little Red Riding Hood because she walked alone in the forest, and because of her grandmother’s unfortunate wolf encounter.

•A fifth of parents don’t like “The Gingerbread Man” because it ends with the title character in a fox’s belly.

The website offered dueling Top 10 lists of favorite bedtime stories and fairy tales that no longer get read (strangely enough, “Goldilocks and the Three Bears” made both lists).

The survey has spurred a bit of a kerfuffle on the other side of the pond. Even the website operators gently chided British parents:

“TheBabyWebsite think that 'Fairy Tales' take children to a land of make-believe where they can use their imaginations and where generally the 'goodies' beat the 'baddies.’ Children love being read a variety of stories and it's a great shame that so many of today's PC mums and dads are rejecting fairy tales which have stood the test of time, entertaining children for hundreds or thousands of years.”

Even a bear of very little brain like Winnie the Pooh could figure out what to do here: Mix up the bedtime story selection, a little Thomas the Tank Engine here, a little Cinderella there. When you get to the parts of the fairy tale that suddenly seem scarier than you remembered, or elicit a frightened look, improvise a little and tone it down. Or just read the Disney version.

In moderation, the good-and-evil scenarios in fairy tales can help foster a lifelong love of reading, and ready little ones for the next level of stories families can share, like “Narnia,” “Alice in Wonderland” and “Harry Potter.”

Sadly, in some ways the “goodies” and “badies” in fairy tales also may be preparation for real life, reinforcing lessons like don’t talk to strangers. Only in the fairy tales, everything usually ends happily ever after.

Hester is founding director of the award-winning, multi-media NYCity News Service at the City University of New York Graduate School of Journalism. He is the former City Editor of the New York Daily News, where he started as a reporter in 1992.

Copyright NBC Local Media

COMMENTS

Anonymous 5 minutes ago So I guess kids will never know how to tell good from bad if everything is a politically correct fairy tail. Kids don't stand a chance in this world with these parents, no wonder why so many kids are losing it. Wait until the kids get of age and then find out what the real world is, heaven help us all because they will go wild.

Kind of ironic.........Television(including NBC5 news), is nothing but SEX, DRUGS, & DEATH.Kind of ironic.........

Justine Today at 9:43 AM Do these parents not understand that these fairy tales are to teach children a lesson? Look at Little Red Ridding Hood. It tells kids not to be trusting of strangers. Snow White deals with vanity and how it can get you killed in the end. These stories are full of interesting lessons to be learned. I wonder if these parents have actually read the the Grimm versions or just what Disney has manufactured.

Peter Today at 9:26 AM This country is falling apart!

Bob Today at 8:59 AM This is really pathetic. This political correctness garbage was moronic to begin with and now it's spread way out of control. Good-bye, America.

VA_Nana Today at 8:57 AM Good grief. These parents are being ridiculous. Fairy tales are just that, tales. Just like the old cartoons, yes they were violent, but every kid knew it was fake. This world is not perfect and is filled with losts of scary things. Children have to learn the difference, and how to handle the scary things.. These parents are trying to make the child think the world is perfect and then when they get out into the world,, they do not know how to handle the ups and downs of reality. Get alife Parents!

Frog Face Today at 8:44 AM Kids need to learn to deal with fear and unhappy endings while they're young, because that will prepare them for adulthood. However, the Powers That Be look forward to a population of mindless automatons that are easily controled by fear. Religious leaders call their congregations "sheep" for a reason.

TrainBrain Today at 8:06 AM Come on now. The workd is scary. Learn to live with that. If we shield our kids from these stories they will learn things in this world are not always rosy.

Gracefully Today at 8:06 AM I HATE PC - I will not even use the two letters together in ANY sentence! PC (opps!) is the down fall of America. It all started with the 'pre-owned' car. It's USED!!!

kelprod Today at 7:38 AM Political correctness is killing America. It is OK to get your feelings hurt every now and then...

Steve Today at 7:30 AM truly ridiculous! Many of these stories have been around for centuries and are very entertaining. We are entering an era of watered down imagination and fantasy held prisioner by "political correctness" and a sterilization of all things unique.

Forum Member

Politically Correct parenting is going to result in kids being
    Particularly Confused once they get a dose of the real world.

Forum Member

well we can thank the lawyers for all this B.S. fairy tales stimulate kids to use their imagination. i would rather have my child read a fairy tale than him having the 1000 yard stare at a video game on t.v.

pardon me but last time i looked at the constitution...i didn't see where people have the right, NOT to be offended
    Last edited by NCfire; 01-13-2009 at 12:50 PM.

Forum Member

Those fairy tales sure turned us into bad people. Generation PC
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I think we should make a new thread labled "GIVE ME A FREAK'N BREAK".

PETA fishing for sympathy for 'sea kittens'

Marketing campaign aims to make fish more endearing

By Misty Harris, Canwest News ServiceJanuary 14, 2009

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has launched a marketing campaign to rebrand fish as "sea kittens," a name the organization hopes will make the vertebrates more endearing.

"A lot of people don't realize that fish are capable of feeling fear and pain, that they develop relationships with each other, and even show affection by gently rubbing against one another," says Ashley Byrne, PETA's sea kitten campaign co-ordinator. "Knowing that the fish sticks in the school cafeteria are really made out of tortured sea kittens makes most kids want to lose their lunch."

The advocacy effort, which also addresses concerns about over-fishing, is the latest in a growing list of publicity campaigns by non-profits, conservationists and animal activists that treat "misunderstood" creatures -- everything from cats to slugs and spiders -- as if they were celebrities in need of better representation.

As an entry on the sea kitten website states, "fish need to fire their PR guy -- stat. Whoever was in charge of creating a positive image for fish needs to go right back to working on the Britney Spears account."

Although the youth-focused campaign has drawn snickers from critics, none of PETA's long record of animal rights victories has come without some public mockery. It was by using similar tactics that the organization strong-armed such corporate giants as McDonald's, Safeway, Wendy's, Burger King and, most recently, Canadian KFC restaurants to implement new standards of animal welfare.

On fishinghurts.com, PETA also addresses worldwide concerns about over-fishing.

According to a 2006 Canadian-led study in the journal Science, nearly one-third of all fishing stocks have declined to less than 10 per cent of their maximum observed abundance. Should depletion continue at this pace, researchers warn all stocks currently fished would collapse by 2050.

But Dalhousie biology professor Jeff Hutchings believes PETA's attempt to address the issue is "misguided" at best.

"Any positive benefits that might be realized by drawing attention to the plight of fish are, to my mind, weakened by the costs of a campaign that calls fish 'sea kittens'," says Hutchings, chairman of the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada.

But marketing expert Allen Adamson says the strategy is savvy since it appeals to children.

"Deer are often a nuisance but because of the Bambi image, they get a better ride," says Adamson, managing director of branding firm Landor Associates. "Whatever you can do to make the cause come to life and allow people to emotionally connect to it will make [the message] more effective."

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Forum Member

This from the same bunch of twits who go ga-ga over a Harry Potter book.

Your job a sa parent is not to be your child's friend. It is to raise them to be mature, responsible, self-supporting individuals. Alas, they have failed.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

My nieces and one of their friends were recently trying to get me to do something with them that I actually did want to do with them.
    I pretended not to want by saying"Oh,no Bre'r Fox! Don' t'row me in dat ol' briar patch!Don' do dat!"
    My niece's friend related that story to her parents who proceeded to holler at me for continuing a stereotype.
    You can't even teach a kid that "Ring around the Rosie" was actually supposed to be a folk remedy to the Plague in Europe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    I think we should make a new thread labled "GIVE ME A FREAK'N BREAK".

"A lot of people don't realize that fish are capable of feeling fear and pain, that they develop relationships with each other, and even show affection by gently rubbing against one another," says Ashley Byrne, PETA's sea kitten campaign co-ordinator. "Knowing that the fish sticks in the school cafeteria are really made out of tortured sea kittens makes most kids want to lose their lunch."
    Another great quote from the campaign...
    "Most parents would never dream of spending a weekend torturing kittens for fun with their families, but hooking a sea kitten through the mouth and dragging her through the water is the same as hooking a kitten through the mouth and dragging her behind your car."
    Personally I've always saw it the other way. Kittens should be renamed as "Land Fish" since they're so tasty and go good with tartar sauce.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    My nieces and one of their friends were recently trying to get me to do something with them that I actually did want to do with them.
    I pretended not to want by saying"Oh,no Bre'r Fox! Don' t'row me in dat ol' briar patch!Don' do dat!"
    My niece's friend related that story to her parents who proceeded to holler at me for continuing a stereotype.
    You can't even teach a kid that "Ring around the Rosie" was actually supposed to be a folk remedy to the Plague in Europe.
    It's funny you should mention Bre'r Fox because Rick and I were talking about Uncle Remus' books only this past weekend and how it's almost impossible to find them just out on the shelves. You basically have to special order books like that nowadays. Sad.

Forum Member

I like my sea kitten broiled, with some lemon juice and butter, and a pinch of black pepper.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I like my sea kitten broiled, with some lemon juice and butter, and a pinch of black pepper.
    Add some grilled asparagus, new red potatoes and a nice riesling and you have an excellent meal.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    So am I getting this right...your neice's friend parents yelled at you for saying that??
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

Thread Information