MembersZone Subscriber

Default burnout from an ex-chief

22 yr volunteer in suburbia. Lt to Chief. Now instructing per diem infrequently at a local state fire academy. Losing interest. Also, the local OEM guy is very overbearing and puts his spin on everything. Leaving names out, no one wants to incur the "wrath of .....". Our town is not burning down if you know what I mean so fires are infrequent. (a good thing). Very frustrating. Anyone else experience a let down?

Forum Member

seams to be a problem everywhere. You always get one power hungry guy at the top who wants to leave his mark at the cost of others. unfortunatly all that ever happens is people loose intrest and the dept. suffers. Only advise I can give is im sure the guys either elected or apointed if so stage a takeover, especially if everyone else feels the same way. alot of people forgot on their high horse that this is volunteer! If you wanted to put up with crap youd be at work, right!
    Garbage men dont get excited when they turn the corner and see a pile of garbage awaiting them. Nor should we get excited to see a house on fire. Its our job, remember your training and keep your cool.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Well...........

I have no idea about most of your message, but I do understand the "OEM Guy". Maybe your place is different, but the "OEM" people report to the Fire Chief here. I'm in my 51st year in the Fire Service, and still on a fast paced life, and loving every minute of it.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Is the let down from the oem guy or are you just ready for a break from the fire service? or did this guy push you to the burnt out point? Sounds like you lost your pride in the trade. or maybe not tuff for me to say by what you said
    Garbage men dont get excited when they turn the corner and see a pile of garbage awaiting them. Nor should we get excited to see a house on fire. Its our job, remember your training and keep your cool.

Thread Information