Smile Ice Melt on Fire Ground

Does anyone carry ice melt on their trucks for the pump operators at a real fire. We have issues with the ground around the truck becoming a sheet of ice, and becomes a true danger zone for our operators. Just wondering if anyone does this, or ideas to solve this problem (besides spreading speedy dry).

I also just wanted to inform members looking under Fire Tactics to check out the site that helps only with Tactics, FirefightingTactics.com. It is made to help discus issues only on Fire ground Tactics. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Thanks in advance!

MembersZone Subscriber

we carry a coffee can of salt on the rigs. last week we used it at the front door where 3 lines were operating in 4 degree temps. it does work well.

Forum Member

5 gallon bucket of salt on every truck. We're not afraid to use it either, lot of stupid little injuries that happen from slipping on ice that could easily be prevented.

We're pretty attentive to ice control, if one of the operators get a chance, they'll often salt the entrances that we are using into the house, the sidewalk, driveway, etc.

Forum Member

Every apparatus has a 5 gallon foam container filled with rock salt. The handle and little pour cap make for easy spreading. At incidents where more is needed, the township shows up with enough salt to melt a glacier.

Forum Member

Some of our apparatus have 5 gallon buckets and some have liquid laundry detergent containers. Those work preety well for spreading it, but they just don't hold as much.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

We just use a bleach jug, angle-cut to save the handle. Makes it easier to carry around and it's smaller to store.

Forum Member

Every rig except the chiefs cars carries a 5 gallon pail of rocksalt. No problem getting it. All houses have large plastic garbage cans for the salt and the city delivers it pretty quickly with just a call.

Forum Member

Depending on what the city gives us or what we can "obtain". Its either bagged or most commonly in a 5 gallon bucket.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is one of the few items we can get on demand as the city is afraid of lawsuits from people slipping IFO house.

FTM-PTB

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And............

Ice isn't quite as much of a problem for us as it is for folks "Up North" but we have our days....... Some stations use "Kitty Litter" (Clay Granules) for absorbent material for fuel spills, and I've seen that put down on ice. We can, and do, request a Sand/Salt Truck from the highway department if we feel that it's needed.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Not anything we have ever had to worry about.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think it's a great idea- I work in colder climates too and blew out my ankle, and darn near a knee a few years back coming out to recharge.

That's definitely one of those silly little hazards that'll bite you in the arse.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod
    Senior Firefighter /EMT-A, A Shift
    HESD / OFD
    "To me, the charm of an encyclopedia is that it knows and I needn't."

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yeah............

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Not anything we have ever had to worry about.
    Shall we assume that you use the same stuff that they use in Key West and Miami??.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Every load has a five gallon bucket of salt (and usually two or three) in the winter. In the summer (July 2nd thru 17th...) they get replaced by extra buckets of absorball.

Every house has a 30 gallon can of salt that is (supposedly) kept full by the city. DES trucks will come out and salt a scene if we call for them.
    The opinions expressed in this post are well-reasoned and insightful. Needless to say, they are not the opinions of the government that I work for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Antiskid - crushed limestone

Keep the salt away from the jacks on your aerial device. It has a tendency to melt the ice under the pads and then, with the modern equipment, cause the safety switches to activate. We use crushed limestone under the pads when setting up on sloped locations (everywhere around here) and save the salt & sand mix for the engines and hose line entry points. If you are going to use this, be sure to dry the antiskid material before placing in plastic bags to keep out the moisture. Wet material packs tight in the bag and can freeze solid in the cold. Our heavy rescue has two bins connected to 2" rubber hoses that drop the material down under the rear of the rescue body when needed. One side carries sand and the other has oil dry.

Forum Member

Every company has a couple of 50 lb bags of rock salt. Work good.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Shall we assume that you use the same stuff that they use in Key West and Miami??.........
    This burg wigs out when the weatherguessers even mention the word snow.When I was growing up it was just sand laid down on the streets but now,I am told salt and hypochlorites are being added to the mis to speed melting and prevent ice buildup.
    No wonder the 20 y/o truck I bought in Kentucky and brought down is rusting out.

Thread Information