Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Forum Member

best video of the landing I've seen so far - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0mAkmRlePk&

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    It looked to me as they were climbing passengers directly onto the ferries.I was wondering why they didn't bring them up onto the police and USCG boats and then onto the ferries for transport.
    The first ferry boat was on the scene and pulling people aboard less than four minutes after the plane hit the water. A second ferry was on scene on the other side of the plane within a minute or two after the first. The crews on the ferries executed their man-overboard procedures and began pulling people up immediately. The passengers on the ferry tended to the people once they were hoisted aboard. The first two ferries alone pulled nearly 100 people out of the water. They were on scene way before any "official" rescue vessels arrived.

The first ferry to arrive... the captain was a 20yr old girl who'd just made captain for 6 ago. I think she earned a raise. She said they do man-overboard drills once a month. I guess all that annoying training paid off!
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Some Guy

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I beg to differ!

How would you like to measure this?

Stanley Cups?
    George went ahead and ruined a perfectly good thread with his Devils suck drivel. I sure he was a bit upset with the Shanny moving back across the Hudson.

You guys ever been to a Giants or Jets game and watch the planes. It is just freaking crazy watching planes criss crossing en route to Newark and Teterboro.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    The first ferry boat was on the scene and pulling people aboard less than four minutes after the plane hit the water. A second ferry was on scene on the other side of the plane within a minute or two after the first. The crews on the ferries executed their man-overboard procedures and began pulling people up immediately. The passengers on the ferry tended to the people once they were hoisted aboard. The first two ferries alone pulled nearly 100 people out of the water. They were on scene way before any "official" rescue vessels arrived.

The first ferry to arrive... the captain was a 20yr old girl who'd just made captain for 6 ago. I think she earned a raise. She said they do man-overboard drills once a month. I guess all that annoying training paid off!
    I saw who got on scene first.I was commenting that when other vessels with lower freeboard(the distance from the water to the main deck)arrived that they could be the first step up to the ferries.Holding a large vessel with lots of sail area steady in a current and wind is NOT easy.Think of it as hovering a helo and I am told that no one gets it right the first few times.
    When you're in cold water,you lose dexterity really quick.Never been there but seen it and hated it.
    You have got to get them out to warm up and dry out as quickly as possible without handling them too roughly,which as we all know can cause you to go into fibrillation.
    I wasn't saying "They shoulda.." or "We do this...and so should you...".What they did worked out and all my comments were are another way of doing the same job.As I said in another post"Improvise,adapt and overcome".You might not be able to do it the way that was shown in training but if you have the training and skill,you can make up alternative ways that work just as well.
    My comments were from a professional mariner with some experience in firefighting in hopes that it would be considered as an alternative,like if there was anyone with broken legs in the water.Any red patients could be transported to staging by the faster boats while the yellows and greens could ride the ferries in and do with the treatment on the boats until they got there(and there were EMTs and other rescue troops on those).
    Here's something to make you think.Though there were questions about boat handling during emergencies on my 100 Master's-Western Rivers license exam,there was no hands on training either at The River School where I got the book learning part of towboat piloting done before going to the Coast Guard to take the exam.
    The thinking was that you steered for the pilot if he liked you and learned boathandling between running down to the deck and catching lines or facing and unfacing the boat to the barges.
    Most of your learning in any job comes after you get the schooling done anyway.Marine companies are supposed to drill in emergencies regularly,even uninspected towing vessels here on the Mississippi.
    I don't know how long a NYC ferry boat crew has to deck before going for their license but when I started on the river,it was four years on deck and then go for the wheelhouse.
    Now,it's 180 DAYS of experience(O Lordy) and for some reason,just working in any capacity for a river company qualifies.Technically,the receptionist at my rock company in Frayser can go for her license and more power to her if she does.She's better looking than all the pilots anyway.I just don't want to be on the boat since learning to drive a boat at the School of Hard Knocks can be hard on the hull.
    As to raises for the rescuing ferry crews,I don't know about that.They sure deserve a bonus for going above and beyond their normal duties.
    I'm glad no one got hurt worse than broken legs.It's turning out that the pilots were planning to ditch where they did because of the amount of river traffic that could be used for rescue.
    Last edited by doughesson; 01-18-2009 at 03:21 PM.

I believe once other smaller rescue vessels arrived, they of course immediately started plucking people up as well. They didn't use ferries in lieu of rescue boats. The ferries just happened to get there first.

I know how annoying it is trying to hit a boat trailer in a ramp on the side of a fast moving river with my 19ft stern drive. I'm sure it was no easy feat with a huge ferry parking along side a plane in a moving river either. But they did it and they did it well. Obviously they're doing something right over there.
    Last edited by nmfire; 01-18-2009 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
    Great job. A true miracle. Caught a view of ENGINE 40. Way to go CAVEMEN !
    Yes....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35 View Post
    Yes....
    Slap another engine on it, and some floats and let him take off from the river and land it back at the Airport.

Sounds like the pilot has the skills to do it.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Some Guy

I can fix that. My dad's a TV repair man. He has a excelent set of tools.
    This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWickman View Post
    My brother is going to kill you.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    My brother is going to kill you.
    First he's gonna sh-t.

Some Guy

This space for rent

BREAKING NEWS! New photos and video from inside flight 1549 during the ordeal!

YOU CAN MAKE IT TO TETERBORO!!

And back in the cabin....

MembersZone Subscriber

George went ahead and ruined a perfectly good thread with his Devils suck drivel. I sure he was a bit upset with the Shanny moving back across the Hudson.

You guys ever been to a Giants or Jets game and watch the planes. It is just freaking crazy watching planes criss crossing en route to Newark and Teterboro.
    Rangers made a HUGE mistake not signing Shanahan back up. Huge mistake.

Devils still suck.

You ever sit in the National Tennis Center (next to the minor league stadium in Flushing) and watch that sideshow? JFK and LGA patterns? OMG.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up

N.Y. crash investigators find second engine, feather

Agence France-PresseJanuary 21, 2009

National Transportation Safety Board investigators stand near the wing of the US Airways airplane that crashed in the Hudson River.Photograph by: Chip East, ReutersNEW YORK - Investigators on Wednesday reported finding "soft body" impacts in one of the engines of the US Airways jet that crashed-landed last week, while police divers located the second engine.

The evidence, also including a feather stuck on a wing, appeared to support the belief that the Airbus hit a dense flock of birds before losing power in both engines and crash-landing in New York's Hudson River last Thursday.

"The right engine has been externally examined and documented. An examination of the first stage fan blades revealed evidence of soft body impact damage," the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) said in a statement.

"A single feather was found attached to a flap track on the wing."

The impacts left the right engine "significantly damaged," the NTSB said.

More will be known after further tests and an examination of the left engine, which came off during the crash landing and was located by New York police divers Wednesday.

"Organic material" found in the right engine and on the wings and fuselage "have been sent to the US Department of Agriculture for a complete DNA analysis," the NTSB said.

The feather "is being sent to bird identification experts at the Smithsonian."

The emergency landing was completed without loss of life, turning the pilot, Chesley Sullenberger, into a national hero.

The NTSB said the left engine is likely to be raised from the water Thursday.

The rest of the plane was pulled out over the weekend, allowing recovery of the black box flight recorders.

In addition, NTSB investigators are "interviewing passengers to learn more about the events surrounding the ditching and the emergency evacuation and rescue."

Meanwhile, "the checked and carry-on baggage is in the process of being removed from the aircraft," the NTSB said.

© Copyright (c) AFP

I'm still shaking my head in wonderment about this one. Truly an incredible feat of flying ability. WELL DONE, Sir!

Some Guy

Thumbs up 1st class vs Economy

Guess I will start upgrading.
    This space for rent

Guess I will start upgrading.
    Bhahahahahahahahahahahah
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Duct tape and caulk.If that doesn't fix it,nothing's wrong with it.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=nmfire;1026304]BREAKING NEWS! New photos and video from inside flight 1549 during the ordeal!

QUOTE]

Scene from a Jerry Lewis movie:an airport security checkpoint.
    One man has tried getting through the metal detector only to be stopped since he was carrying numerous weapons to include firearms,brass knuckles and knives.
    When security braces him,he says"Oh,I'm flying Weehawken Air to London." and the guards laugh and wave him on through.
    Jerry Lewis goes through the screener and nothing buzzes.A security guard asks him out of curiosity where he is bound so Lewis says"I'm flying Weehawken to London,too".
    The guard looks at him and says,"Yer flying Weehawken to London and you don't have a gun?"
    Jerry Lewis;"Well,no.Why?"
    The guard laughs as he rounds the counter to a cabinet which he opens to reveal a veritable plethora of firearms,hand grenades,swords and other weaponry.
    The guard says,"Wanna buy one?"

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up

Most recent update:

U.S. hero pilot left prayers to 'somebody in back'

AFP February 8, 2009

Chesley B. " Sully" SullenbergerPhotograph by: AFP, GettyNEW YORK, Feb 8, 2009 (AFP) - After smelling "burned bird" in his engines, the pilot who splash-landed a jet with 155 people on board safely in New York's Hudson River last month said Sunday he left the praying to "somebody in back."

In his first major broadcast interview about the January 15 accident US media has dubbed a "miracle," pilot Chesley Sullenberger told CBS he focused on landing and did not think about the passengers.

"Not specifically ... I mean, knew I had to solve this problem. I knew I had to find a way out of this box I found myself in," he said according a transcript of his remarks released ahead of the interview. "I had a job to do."

Drawing on his 42-year flying experience, Sullenberger put nerves and panic aside and coolly assessed the situation, talking with air traffic controllers about his limited possibilities, finally deciding to land his plane in the frigid river water.

"I think, in many ways, as it turned out, my entire life up to that moment had been a preparation to handle that particular moment," he said.

The former US Air Force fighter pilot was asked if at any point in the three-minute ordeal he prayed for salvation.

"I would imagine somebody in back was taking care of that for me while I was flying the airplane," he said.

He described the experience of losing the engines on his US Airways Airbus A-320as "the worst sickening, pit-of-your-stomach, falling-through-the-floor feeling I've ever felt in my life."

"I knew immediately it was very bad," he said in the interview, which is to air in full on Sunday.

Code-named Cactus 1549 by air traffic control, the passenger jet hit a flock of large birds -- presumably geese -- as it took off from LaGuardia Airport, knocking out both engines.

Sullenberger said he realized at once the plane had been impacted by birds that were "filling the entire windscreen, from top to bottom, left to right ... You could hear them ... loud thumps. It felt like the airplane being pelted by heavy rain or hail.

"It sounded like the worst thunderstorm I'd ever heard growing up in Texas."

He realized the damage the birds had done "when I felt, heard and smelled the evidence of them going into the engines.

"I smelled what I described at the time, and I still would as a burned bird smell being brought from the engine area into the conditioning system of the airplane."

Asked if he was thinking "How are we going to get ourselves out of this?'" the pilot told CBS: "No. My initial reaction was one of disbelief."

But then, with insufficient time to make it to an airport, he brought the jet down, skimming into the Hudson.

Sullenberger's calm in the crisis was also detailed in a released transcript of his conversation with traffic controllers as he landed.

"We're gonna be in the Hudson," the US Airways captain told LaGuardia airport.

It was the air traffic controllers who reacted with disbelief.

"I'm sorry, say again Cactus," came the reply, according to transcripts released Thursday by the Federal Aviation Administration.

All 150 passengers and five crew climbed out onto the wings of the sinking jet and were quickly rescued by New York ferry boats.

Sullenberger made a perfect landing, easing the jet onto the river and avoiding a devastating break-up upon impact.

Crew and he helped passengers out, where they waited on the wings for rides -- many on commuter ferries -- to safety.

Of the first responders, Sullenberger told CBS: "'Thank you' seems totally inadequate. I have a debt of gratitude that I fear I may never be able to repay."

Sullenberger, who has been celebrated as an American hero since the episode, said after it was clear everything had turned out well, "I felt like the weight of the universe had been lifted off my heart."

But he said for a while he relived the near-tragedy and found it difficult to sleep, thinking he could have done "something better, something more complete."

"The first few nights were the worst. When the 'what ifs' started. The second guessings would come. Made sleep hard."

© Copyright (c) AFP

Default Something else to maybe think about...

The heroic pilot who successfully ditched a US Airways airplane into the Hudson River last month was touched by a letter that he received from a child of a Holocaust survivor.

In a segment aired Sunday on 60 Minutes, Captain Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger is teary-eyed as he is thanked for saving the lives of 155 passengers. “Yesterday I received a voicemail from my 85-year-old father who lives on the 30th floor of a building with river views, here in Manhattan. Had you not been so skilled, my father or others like him in their sky-high buildings, could’ve perished along with your passengers had you not landed as you had. As a Holocaust survivor, my father taught me that to save a life is to save a world. As you never know what the person you’ve saved nor his or her prodigy will go on to contribute to the peace and healing of the world. Bless you, dear Captain Sullenberger. New York loves you,” the letter stated.

“That is my favorite one,” said an emotional Lori Sullenberger, while reading the letter to her husband. “Yeah, mine too,” the captain responded.

Take that sentiment to work with you the next time that you're on-duty...

Thread Information