Forum Member

Default Newbie needs some help

Hey, let me introduce myself, Names Zack, im a junior volunteer firefighter from Maine. Ive only been a firefighter for about a month and have yet to go on a real call, got close but we got called off a few miles away from the accident scene. Anyways, im looking for a little help. I have yet to receive training as it just hasnt come around yet this year, but im wondering what i need, i have only talked with my chief briefly and he is out of town frequently and is hard to talk with. The other captains and senior members are also volunteer so its hard to get into contact with them also. Im just looking for what i need to try to set myself up with as far as training so that i can be ready to roll when we get calls. I also might be taking this a little too fast but i am interested in getting EMS/EMT training. I have a CPR/First Aid cert, which is pretty basic i know. What do i need for training as far as this? I will be attending college in the fall and am wondering if there are good college courses to take to get myself started with these. Im sorry for all of the newbie questions but i am very new to firefighting, no one in my family is a firefighter but i have wanted to be one since i was about 5, just never got into training or been able to join untill now.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Zack

Forum Member

assuming you're 18 or soon to be 18.

go to department training, as many as you can make. if your dept auto-aids with another fd, go to their training as well. you need experience and that only comes with TIME.

do you want to be a career ff or volly ff with another career ?

your college most likely will have EMT and fire academy classes. look into these. if you are taking a degree track, you can bump one prerequisite class per semester or per year to take these classes.

dont buy anything right away, except uniforms and items needed to start. you dont need; your own turnouts, lights on your car, a portable radio... etc.

find a mentor, ask for advice. if the officers aren't available find a senior ff that can help.

good luck

Forum Member

some advice- go on more calls. You will learn a lot more in real events.

Forum Member

You will find that you can never train enough. Anybody who tells you they have gotten all the training they need is a fool. I recommend you start with your ppe take it off put it on and repeat learn every facet of it. Learn your scba so you can switch bottles with your eyes closed. This is the stuff that saves your life. Take very good care of it. I agree dont go spending a bunch of money yet. That is a pet peeve of mine. Guys spend 3k on a bunch crap that slows them down or so they have more lights on their pov than the chiefs car. I recommend you master the skill sets you will be used for on runs. IE: learn where all the equipment is on your appartus. You will be gopher for a while getting tools and staging equipment at scenes. I would and still do go over the trucks every chance I get to remember where everything is. On a run when they need equipment they dont wanna wait for it. IF YOU ARE NOT SURE OF SOMETHING ASK BEFORE YOU DO IT. Freelancing can earn you a beautiful funeral. Lastly listen, Be careful, have fun, always ask questions, train everyday, and get on these boards and read. (I only recently started posting actively but I have read this site for years and learned a ton from guys who have more time in the can than I do in the fire service.)

Forum Member

Smile Heres what you need to do.

Like all these guys said don't spead money for crap you don't need....train as much as possible,go to all traning,fire calls(if able to),mutral-aids,always take the time to look the trucks over and remeber where all the equiment is.
    Stay safe.....

Forum Member

Your volunteer department should train once a week? If the do, go to that once a week and reiterating what the other members have said, respond to calls!

Well you should know:
    Hydrants
    fire classification
    ropes and knots
    ladders
    forcible entry
    SCBA
    Hose size
    Extraction ( depending on your department having a rescue)
    Know your trucks inside and out
    Know how to change your fellow FF's SCBA
    Water supply
    Ventilation
    Lighting
    Portable extinguishers
    Building construction in your local town
    fire behavior
    Fire control

And those are just the basics. I belive anyone who doesn't know even a little bit in each of those subjects. SHOULDN'T RIDE APPARATUS! In your situation i would look into getting "Essentials for Fire Fighting Fifth Edition.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by zackman1801 View Post
    Hey, let me introduce myself, Names Zack, im a junior volunteer firefighter from Maine. Ive only been a firefighter for about a month and have yet to go on a real call, got close but we got called off a few miles away from the accident scene. Anyways, im looking for a little help. I have yet to receive training as it just hasnt come around yet this year, but im wondering what i need, i have only talked with my chief briefly and he is out of town frequently and is hard to talk with. The other captains and senior members are also volunteer so its hard to get into contact with them also. Im just looking for what i need to try to set myself up with as far as training so that i can be ready to roll when we get calls. I also might be taking this a little too fast but i am interested in getting EMS/EMT training. I have a CPR/First Aid cert, which is pretty basic i know. What do i need for training as far as this? I will be attending college in the fall and am wondering if there are good college courses to take to get myself started with these. Im sorry for all of the newbie questions but i am very new to firefighting, no one in my family is a firefighter but i have wanted to be one since i was about 5, just never got into training or been able to join untill now.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Zack

Hey zack, im a cadet(explorer,jumior firefighter whateveryou wanna call it) and i got some turnouts from my station(Bunker pants,coat,nomex hood,gloves and helmet) we only use the packs at the station. .Are you familiar with PPE and SCBA?

Thread Information