Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

There is a HUGE difference between the guy who seemingly NEVER hears the alarm and a guy who occasionally sleeps through it. I am not sure why the simple concept of making sure the other guys on your rig are awake is such a big freaking deal. I have gotten up at night to make sure guys from the other engine in quarters have gotten up for a call. I could see from my bunk that one of them hadn't. Of course it can't become a "you have to wke me up for every call situation" but it surely makes more sense to wake the guy up on the way by rather than have to run back from the rig to wake them up. Which is what we do...no one gets left behind in quarters.

Gone.

Although I am only Volunteer, my pager always is near me. I have come to the point where I can identify the pitch of our tones and gotten used to hearing our tones that as soon as the first half of the tone drops, my eyes are open and I am up.

Forum Member

Extinguisher911 you sound like you are a real TOOL. What has your officer said or done about this?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Excellent idea, I'm sure the other guys on the truck want someone riding with them to the 5am fire that hasn't slept in 20 hours.
    Do you sleep all night at your house? We are generally busy at night and no one has a problem at a fire at any time. How much sleep do you need to perform at a fire? I hope you are not on a department that works 24's if you are unable to perform after dark...

Forum Member

I bet some of you are real popular people to work with or for.

I am the Officer in my house and guess what.......sometimes I will sleep through the run.

Not hearing something in your F'ing sleep is not an example of somebody not doing their job. What is the problem with someone telling you they are a hard sleeper and asking you to make sure they here the tone and get up? Nothing.

Jakesdad, SlipperyPete.....read the signature below. Sometimes you guys are dead on. On this one, your both dead wrong.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whocares View Post
    Do you sleep all night at your house? We are generally busy at night and no one has a problem at a fire at any time. How much sleep do you need to perform at a fire? I hope you are not on a department that works 24's if you are unable to perform after dark...

when did I say I slept all night? An hour or two caught in between runs is better than nothing. Especially if this guy worked OT the shift before or is on OT now after a busy shift.

Making a pretty big assumption based on one statement.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post

I am the Officer in my house and guess what.......sometimes I will sleep through the run.

Not hearing something in your F'ing sleep is not an example of somebody not doing their job. What is the problem with someone telling you they are a hard sleeper and asking you to make sure they here the tone and get up? Nothing.

Jakesdad, SlipperyPete.....read the signature below. Sometimes you guys are dead on. On this one, your both dead wrong.
    100% correct. Give him the bed by the door and kick him on your way out. It's not that big a deal.

Forum Member

when did I say I slept all night? An hour or two caught in between runs is better than nothing. Especially if this guy worked OT the shift before or is on OT now after a busy shift.

Making a pretty big assumption based on one statement.
    You are the one making a big deal about a fire 20 hrs into your shift. It's not that uncommon to get no sleep in a shift, especially in the summer. The 5am fire is easy. The 8 hrs at the side job the next day is the hard part.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whocares View Post
    You are the one making a big deal about a fire 20 hrs into your shift. It's not that uncommon to get no sleep in a shift, especially in the summer. The 5am fire is easy. The 8 hrs at the side job the next day is the hard part.

big deal? one comment about someone else's draconian methods of dealing with not waking for house tones. Untwist the panties, no reason to go without sleep when you can get it.

Forum Member

big deal? one comment about someone else's draconian methods of dealing with not waking for house tones. Untwist the panties, no reason to go without sleep when you can get it.
    I already stated that you should let him sleep and just kick him on your way out. My point was that there should be no question about your ability to operate after 20 sleepless hours. Discovered in 1904 by the Germans... Anyway, agree to disagree.
    Last edited by Whocares; 01-16-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Forum Member

What exactly did the German's discover? Can't be what the Australians found...

http://oem.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/57/10/649

Forum Member

What exactly did the German's discover? Can't be what the Australians found...

http://oem.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/57/10/649
    What did they discover? San Diego, of course...

"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."

Ron Burgundy

So according to Australia, I shouldn't drink so much if I'm planning on being up all night?
    Last edited by Whocares; 01-16-2009 at 10:46 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

110% agreed, sir.

I'm so sick of the macho attitude in the firehouse. If you can't take care of each other, there is a serious problem.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JaredMTFD View Post
    I'm so sick of the macho attitude in the firehouse. If you can't take care of each other, there is a serious problem.

I'm in on that. The same people so willing to call someone else a "mutt" can't even kick a brother's bunk as they go by. There is nothing that makes you a mutt more than screwing the guys you work with.

Forum Member

To the Brother who can't wake up when the tones go off..

Tie a long string around your private parts. Put one end by the door, Have the company officer give it a little "tug" when the tones go off.

Like one of Pavlov's dogs, you will be "conditioned" to wake up when the tones drop!

Just kidding... or am I?
    If you have to ask... you have no sense of humor, do you?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

the 4-1-4

I'm in on that. The same people so willing to call someone else a "mutt" can't even kick a brother's bunk as they go by. There is nothing that makes you a mutt more than screwing the guys you work with.

And what about the guy who continues to sleep thru runs, are they not screwing the other guys? Are they not causing a delay in responding that could be a problem? We're all paid pretty decently to get our *** on that rig and out the door.
    And there is that term "mutt" getting thrown around again, inappropriately.

I have no problem with kicking the bunk of a guy who has missed a run, but it always seems like it is the same guy. The carpet will get worn thin at some point. We're all adults, and if you continually sleep thru a run, then you need to do something about it.

To me, this is kind of like the guy who is always late for work. We have a tardiness control policy in place, which can result in a member losing their job if they are late enough times.

We will call them, we will cover for them, we have guys willing to stay late following a shift - at no pay- so that the late member doesn't get written up and lose money. At what point do you stop babying them? At what point does the guy who is sleeping thru runs stop letting his guys down? Part of being in a firehouse is doing your part of everything, and part of that is making sure you are on that rig.

If you are that tired, and if you continue to sleep thru runs, sleep in the rig.

Forum Member

Not hearing something in your F'ing sleep is not an example of somebody not doing their job.
    On the contrary; getting one's *** up and on the rig at night is the job.

Forum Member

Excellent idea, I'm sure the other guys on the truck want someone riding with them to the 5am fire that hasn't slept in 20 hours. If his co-workers can't look over to see if he is in his bunk, something is wrong.

I find it hard to believe you are even that bent out of shape about it.
    I am not sure where you work, but I have worked plenty of tours in the firehouse where we were up for 20 hours straight. This is the reason we are given days and nights off. It is called shift work.

You are at work!!! It isn't your god-given right to get a full nights sleep. Waking up for a run falls under something that should be your individual responsibliity as an adult and a professional.

I am not bent out of shape about it in the least. I just think it is childish and immature for the original poster to insinuate that someone should of had his back and woke him up. He should have his own back first.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JaredMTFD View Post
    Anyone who says otherwise has the wrong attitude. In the same way, anyone who says something ignorant like "well, just stay awake and don't sleep" is also full of it, because no one should be asked to stay awake for 24 hours. When we are working, we have a tough job to do, and adequate rest and sleep is necessary.
    If you work in a busy company, it is reasonable that you would be up for your entire 24 hour shift. It has certainly happened to me many times, as I m sure it has for several other posters.

Are you suggesting that you should not have to go on a run late into your tour because you are tired?

Sounds like you are the one that is "full of it".

If it is "adequte rest and sleep" you are looking for, go work a 9 to 5.

Forum Member

You are entitled to your opinion.

But 3 times in 3 months, as the original poster stated, is excessive.

Waking up for a run is about the most minimal, basic task that can possibly be asked of someone in the firehouse.

If you need help with this, what else do you need help with?

If you are stating that you have also slept through runs, then I can see your bias towards this topic.

But this is about taking a little personal responsibility. Something so many preach on here when it comes to just about everything else.

But now when it comes to something as simple as WAKING UP, we need help with this?

I am not saying that he be left behind, or not woken up. But to even suggest that it should be someone elses responsibility to get him up is insulting to those that can actually do this basic life skill all on their own.

Most of use would miss a run one time, and then do WHATEVER POSSIBLE to not let it happen again.

Some might even go as far as to...dare I say it....not sleep while at work. Gasp! The Horror!!

We can agree to disagree on this one.

Forum Member

So instead of joining in the soap box session, I have to say I agree with the folks that said turn up the volume on the radio or audio system, sleep under a speaker or near the door, and try to come to work well rested. Nothing at all with having a buddy to help out either. As far as being on OT, why not say something to one of the guys like "I'm dead tired after yesterday, can you make sure I'm up if we get called out?"

The guys at the station are some of my best friends. Yes it's my job, but we look out for each other at every turn. Just because someone is a heavy sleeper doesn't keep them from being an awesome firefighter. It has nothing to do with "personal responsibility". It's not something they even did willingly.
    Last edited by hefightsfire99; 01-17-2009 at 01:01 PM.
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

Forum Member

As the Captain I know my men and their sleeping habits. I do have one guy that is a heavy sleeper. I know this because we have worked together for years. Whenever the alarm goes even if it is for the medic and not the engine I look around to make sure everyone is moving that should be moving. If I see that one of the guys has not started to get up I simply holler across the room “Hey Joe we got a call.” And that is all it normally takes. To not wake someone up because “It’s not your job” does not promote good teamwork which make more problems for the overall station life. Everyone sleeps at different levels, me I sleep very light I always have and always will, but others are heavy sleepers. This does not mean that they are lazy or sorry fire fighter it just means they are heavy sleepers. Do what it takes to make sure they wake up for the call. Now if I ever had a guy that kept on sleeping even after I gave my “courtesy holler” and then went over kicked his bed as he rolled over like a school kid wanting to get “just 5 more minutes” that would be a totally different issue
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Station2Capt View Post
    As the Captain I know my men and their sleeping habits. I do have one guy that is a heavy sleeper. I know this because we have worked together for years. Whenever the alarm goes even if it is for the medic and not the engine I look around to make sure everyone is moving that should be moving. If I see that one of the guys has not started to get up I simply holler across the room “Hey Joe we got a call.” And that is all it normally takes. To not wake someone up because “It’s not your job” does not promote good teamwork which make more problems for the overall station life. Everyone sleeps at different levels, me I sleep very light I always have and always will, but others are heavy sleepers. This does not mean that they are lazy or sorry fire fighter it just means they are heavy sleepers. Do what it takes to make sure they wake up for the call. Now if I ever had a guy that kept on sleeping even after I gave my “courtesy holler” and then went over kicked his bed as he rolled over like a school kid wanting to get “just 5 more minutes” that would be a totally different issue
    AMEN!!!! Right on track brother.
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hefightsfire99 View Post
    It has nothing to do with "personal responsibility". It's not something they even did willingly.
    No body finds this an acceptable excuse for not waking up when you are supposed to.

If you think they do, try floating this excuse at a job interview or a mortgage closing.

It has EVERYTHING to do with personal responsibility.

No it doesn't make someone a bad firefighter, or a bad person. But how anyone can't think that you and you alone should be responsible for waking up for things you are supposed to wake up for is beyond me.

Most of us have learned to wake up on our own for important things by the time we are in 5th grade. What is so different or less important about waking up for a run while you are at work?

Forum Member

I work out of a pretty busy house. We'll average 5 to 7 calls after midnight. It is not uncommon to run all through the night either. I would much rather stay awake all night then to return from a call, just get to sleep and be tapped out for another. I feel way more tired for my second day if I have been up and down all night as opposed to just up all night.
    Our Captains are not against an extra long lunch break either, so the noon nap helps.
    IAFF

Thread Information