Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 162324252627 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bharer75 View Post
    I mean more of heavy smoke or something showing. It matters what kind of building as well. Im sorry I wasnt more clear. Usually they are large highly occupied buildings. sometimes we send the second alarm but then make entry and see we dont need them so we call them off. We have over 66 stations in close proximity so there is no real problem covering each others 2nd or third due.
    We dont have any stations....the MTA runs those. But we have 160 or so firehouses, and we would have trouble if every smoke call in a highly occupied building was a 2nd alarm. All of our bldgs are highly occupied.

Like I said though, its a moot point. As long as the proper resources are there on the 1st alarm, then anything else you can get to the fireground and still maintain enough manpower around the city is simply a bonus.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    seems like it would be better to re-work their first alarm assignments to give them a company or two in reserve instead of having to pull the hook to get someone to stage. If you are calling the second alarm just to have someone staging, it sounds like you'd be getting more companies than you want. That might be a good thing from the IC's standpoint, but what about the rest of the city/county?
    I havent worked there in a long time so I dont really want to represent the department on this one. Its not manatory, just a tactic if they need it. Its not "automatic" or SOP, just an option.

To be very honest, its not a big deal.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-05-2009 at 03:11 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    I havent worked there in a long time so I dont really want to represent the department on this one. Its not automatic, just a tactic if they need it. Its not "automatic" or SOP, just an option.

To be very honest, its not a big deal.
    I was curious becuase there are several depts. near me that seem to have first alarm assignments that are too small for most of their fires while the second alarm is too big and you just want to tell them add a company or two on the initial and you'd be all set.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefuss View Post
    I guess I can see how that would be needed due to what was sent initially. I wasn't thinking in line with what he said. We send 4 Engs 2 Lads and 2 Chiefs on a box so we already have more there to begin with. My fault.

Back on topic to a poster above. Our house lights and bells ARE manually operated by the watchman. And they do just light right up, no slowly lighting up or anything. The bells are like a school bell.
    Waking up like that a few thousand times or so during your career should shorten your life by a year or two, I'd say...
    No good deed goes unpunished

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NEOgreg View Post
    Waking up like that a few thousand times or so during your career should shorten your life by a year or two, I'd say...
    I do it a few thousand times a year - I feel fine...

MembersZone Subscriber

For those departments who don't have a housewatch....who acknoledges the run back to the dispatcher?

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    For those departments who don't have a housewatch....who acknoledges the run back to the dispatcher?

FTM-PTB

whoever goes to grab the run card, could be the boss, the driver, or anyone.

what do you guys do in multi-company houses where the guy on the engine doing house watch gets a run? do you ring the engine's and truck's bunks and tell the truck guys to send someone out to do watch?

MembersZone Subscriber

what do you guys do in multi-company houses where the guy on the engine doing house watch gets a run? do you ring the engine's and truck's bunks and tell the truck guys to send someone out to do watch?
    Is there a time frame for the run to be acknowledged?

When the engine has the watch one guy is assigned the back-up watch and if the engine gets a run the member assigned the back-up takes over the watch.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think it is 20 seconds. And yes we've had failures of the system which then necessitate calling the company via voice alarm or land line. Missed a 1st due job once due to a failure...but we we were notified because the dispatchers did contact us after they realized our system was down.

There is a relief watch....someone from the other company...assumes the watch until the other company returns.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 02-06-2009 at 01:40 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ru22sty View Post
    Is there a time frame for the run to be acknowledged?

yea, but I have never heard of a company failing to answer an alarm at night. If they don't get it acknowledged they'll start bothering the company pretty quickly. Ive only seen this happen because the acknowledgment sometimes won't go through if done via the computers or some people won't acknowledge over the computer system.

FTM-PTB
    We have a roll call of units responding enroute to the call. The Capt. varifies via radio. If a particuliar unit doesn't answer the radio roll call, dispatch calls the station via landline.

FTM-PTB
    on the computer (in the rig) you just click the button labeled En-Route.. if that doesnt work say it over the headset while enroute.

Well tell dispatch we are responding when we get in the truck
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Posted by FFFred...

FTM-PTB
    I know that Captain Stanley of LA County FD Station 51 always acknowledged receiving the alarm by picking up the handset and saying....

Station 51... KMG 365
    a whole list of sound bites from Emergency! can be found here...
    http://www.emergencyfans.com/sounds/index.htm
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    I know that Captain Stanley of LA County FD Station 51 always acknowledged receiving the alarm by picking up the handset and saying....
    He was very progressive for his time.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    He was very progressive for his time.
    That put me in the floor with laughter
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Back on the subject of not waking for house tones...

Years back we turned out by either receiving a telephone call or by the gong system, which came from the fire signal office. The bell clapper which was connected to the ring down phone would move to the opposite die of the bell when the operator plug into the pbx board, thus awaking most of the members with that “little ting”. When someone would pull a fire box the operator would set the transmitter with that box number and three rounds would be struck in all fire houses and related buildings, structures in the city. Everyone would hit the floor and report to the watch desk to see where they may be assigned on that box. Only after the box was cleared, the members would return to bed, if they were assigned to the box in any alarm or transfers.

Yeah I have slept through the gongs banging in the bed hall. Usually the guy sleeping next to me always kick the rack and I did for him, in case one was sleeping hard. The old officers back then would write you up almost in a heartbeat!

When the new system same in with the alert tones, most everyone got up when the vocal alarm opened the speakers when the correct tones went off.

Members need to get to bed at a good time and get their proper rest so that they will not miss a call.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Back on the subject of not waking for house tones...

Members need to get to bed at a good time and get their proper rest so that they will not miss a call.
    the only thing that really prevents going to sleep is yourself, being on a call, or if your a paramedic filling in medical reports all night.

(might have forgot a lot but thats all that comes to mind)

Quote Originally Posted by bharer75 View Post
    the only thing that really prevents going to sleep is yourself, being on a call, or if your a paramedic filling in medical reports all night.

(might have forgot a lot but thats all that comes to mind)
    Lack of sleep makes you forgetful.

Or so I've been told.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Thread Information