Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jakesdad View Post
    First of all.....it was you that posted this gem:

nameless: "I'm sure the other guys on the truck want someone riding with them to the 5am fire that hasn't slept in 20 hours".

Not sure about where you work, but this is a pretty common scenario in a lot of departments. If it isn't busy where you are, and sleep is expected, I am happy for you. But that just isn't the reality for many on here.

And secondly...it is you that is throwing around the word "mutt" like it is a god d*mn pronoun, so try taking some of your own advice.

By the way...isn't it past your bedtime? Or is that just when you are working?
    You really need to knock that chip off your shoulder. I'm betting you haven't read a word the OP has said since his original post, nor have you bothered to take into consideration any number of factors that could cause a guy to sleep through an alarm.

I can honestly admit that in 10 years of professional EMS and 5 as a professional firefighter, I have never slept through a tone. However, I'm not about to crucify a guy that does. I've worked with guys that have done it, and we've tried to figure out why it happened rather than ride him.

I know one guy that got rode HARD for sleeping through night tones two shifts in a row when he first started. His captain went so far as to give him a direct order to sleep in the truck so it didn't happen again. I'm sure you're just like that guy. What no one knew, including the poor bastard that slept in the truck for several shifts, was that the guy who shared the room on the previous shift always turned down the speaker on his shift. This new guy had no clue that there was even a speaker in his room (it was hidden above the lockers), nor that there was a volume adjustment.

There's any number of factors that could gause a guy to sleep through an alarm. Heavy sleeper, too low of volume on the speaker because someone on the crew doesn't like it too loud, no lights, hard of hearing and takes out his hearing aid at night, and a plethora of other reasons that may be out of his control.

How about trying to find out what might be going on with this situation instead of throwing him under the bus because he's not a macho firefighter like you. After all, aren't you one of the guys that likes to preach about knowing the facts before criticizing our "brothers'" actions?

Never would have guessed this post would have made it 4 pages and counting!!

And jakesdad...you are fighting a losing battle. And I know it must be hard to be a man and admit your wrong and lay down your sword, but you should try. If you can't get someones back and wake them up because they are a heavy sleeper, I would hate to know you were the one behind me in a fire.
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    There's any number of factors that could gause a guy to sleep through an alarm. Heavy sleeper, too low of volume on the speaker because someone on the crew doesn't like it too loud, no lights, hard of hearing and takes out his hearing aid at night, and a plethora of other reasons that may be out of his control.

How about trying to find out what might be going on with this situation instead of throwing him under the bus because he's not a macho firefighter like you. After all, aren't you one of the guys that likes to preach about knowing the facts before criticizing our "brothers'" actions?
    He can sleep through as many runs as he wants to.

What I disagreed with was his comment that "no one had his back", and that gave me the impression the he felt it was someone elses responsibility to wake him up. He didn't mention hearing aids, or a hearing problem, or low volume on the speaker.

And I have never said I wouldn't wake a guy up...or havent woken a guy up in the past.

But that doesn't make it my responsibility.

And the point of this post is what? To show how angry you really are? Or to show how important sleeping in the firehouse is to you?

Again, you can disagree with me all you want. It really is OK.

But does it have to be so dramatic?
    Yes it shows how angry I am at your total lack of understanding of the orignal reason for this thread in the first place. I can gurantee you it is not because I expect to get to sleep at the firehouse. I dont know how long you have been in the fire service but I am willing to bet (from your attitude) I have had more sleepless nights at the firehouse than nights you have even spent in a firehouse.

Again yes I will disagree with you and as you have read almost everyone here disagrees with you as well. God Bless the USA

Review your own posts and tell us who is being dramatic?
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tnff320 View Post
    If you can't get someones back and wake them up because they are a heavy sleeper, I would hate to know you were the one behind me in a fire.
    I guess the same could be said about a grown man who can't even wake up without the help of others.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Sounds like you are the one who needs calming down.

Not in the least. I suppose calling for the crucifying of a guy that misses a tone on occasion is calm on your part.

This is the second thread in which you jumped all over me for not agreeing with the majority on here.

Really? Guess you were dead wrong twice then huh? I guess you are probably used to it though.

Sorry "brother", but thats not how I form my opinions. I am sorry to hear that it is the way you do.

I form my own opinions. Although it is quite reassuring in many cases when there is a majority consensus. Doesn't make my opinion what it is, but may reassure me or make me want to re-evaluate my stance.

You are free to disagree all you want. But maybe in the future you can do it like an adult.

After you. You were the one who got sarcastic and snotty with the OP.

Just so I have you straight on this one...it is totally acceptable to sleep through runs repeatedly. What is wrong is the fact that I suggest this person doesn't go to sleep if he can't seem to wake up on his own is cause for all of your anger?

And you want me to discuss this like an adult with you when you post nonsensical crap like this? Dude why all the angst on your part about making sure your BROTHER FIREFIGHTER is awake when a call comnes in? Maybe you are one of those all for me and F### them type of firefighters. I know that type and have worked with some. They are the worst of the fire service.

Sounds like you are still a bit upset over our last debate. Either that, or you have a problem waking up yourself.

Our last debate was so meanigful to me that I don't even remember it. It must have been a highwater mark in your life though since you had to mention it twice in this post. Trouble waking up? Nope. Have I slept through an alarm or 2? Yep. Thank God I didn't work with an ****** bag like you but with some true BROTHERS who made sure I got up. And I have returned the favor on more than a few occasions over the years.
    You sound like an angry man. There is counseling for that. Probably available on the job through EAP.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Station2Capt View Post
    Yes it shows how angry I am at your total lack of understanding of the orignal reason for this thread in the first place. I can gurantee you it is not because I expect to get to sleep at the firehouse. I dont know how long you have been in the fire service but I am willing to bet (from your attitude) I have had more sleepless nights at the firehouse than nights you have even spent in a firehouse.

Again yes I will disagree with you and as you have read almost everyone here disagrees with you as well. God Bless the USA

Review your own posts and tell us who is being dramatic?
    That is twice that you have tried to throw the amount of time you have in the fire service into this discussion.

Does that technique work in your firehouse? Because it doesn't really work on here.

We can agree to disagree. (If have enough time in the firehouse to disagree that is)

MembersZone Subscriber

jeezus krist....

Forum Member

Extinguisher911, you sound like you are a real TOOL!!

Time to retire old man...

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    Time to retire old man...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-mXKIs0jyI

A video that goes with this Especially between 8 and 15 sec.

All in good fun!!!
    Knowledge is the difference between KNOWING and GUESSING

"You guys are good, but you'll never invent anything-it's all been done before."

FF/EMT-IV (medic in training)

I guess the same could be said about a grown man who can't even wake up without the help of others.
    It is amazing how far off base you are on this.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I just don't understand why jakesdad is so angry about this. If he doesn't want to wake anyone up he had best not expect anyone to wake him up if he ever sleeps through the tones. And very few people ever make it a career without it happening at least once.

His damn near lunatic rantings about expecting to sleep all night, not wanting a persons rest to be interrupted, and talking to the mayor about sleeping (as if the mayor and counsel don't know we sleep, there is a budget item for replacing mattresses and box springs afterall). I still have the feeling that some super traumatic event occured to him regarding sleeping at work and now it is his mission to have no mercy regarding that.

MembersZone Subscriber

He can sleep through as many runs as he wants to.

What I disagreed with was his comment that "no one had his back", and that gave me the impression the he felt it was someone elses responsibility to wake him up. He didn't mention hearing aids, or a hearing problem, or low volume on the speaker.
    That's all you disagreed with? Judging by your posts before and after this one, you tend to disagree with teh fact that he slept through the alarm at all.

I also never saw you ask if there were circumstances beyond him being an incompetent employee. I tell you what, next time there's a conversation about an MVA involving a fire apparatus, or someone getting hurt, or whatever and there's someone questioning the department's policies/procedures or even our "brothers" actions regarding the incident, you just don't worry about those guys who shoot their mouth off without all the facts. Wouldn't want you being a hypocrit or anything.

And I have never said I wouldn't wake a guy up...or havent woken a guy up in the past.

But that doesn't make it my responsibility.
    Well, unless you're the one responsible for making sure everyone's on the truck before it goes out the door, I guess technically it's not your responsibility.

Forum Member

this thread shows once again jakesdad is illiterate He's really the only one I've ever called a mutt on these forums (although suggesting all the people jumping on the OP and not helping him out are also mutts, but in reality thats just jakesdad). So I'm doubtful that I'm "using it like a pronoun".

Also, since jakesdad is so ready to thump his chest about lack of sleep and staying up all night at the firehouse, I'd venture a guess he doesn't have many sleepless nights and always gets excited for the opportunity to stay up. Those of us who don't get to sleep much at work know how true it is when people say "take it, if you can get it". It's easy to talk the talk, when you haven't had to walk the walk.

Geez.....Guess some people get bent out of shape on this topic.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Extinguisher911.....

I am glad you have taken effort to find the root to the problem. You seem to be going about it in a very honorable way, as I would expect a person to do. See, in my opinion, there is a difference in what is causing the problem. If it happens now and again, so what, we are all human. If it becomes a regular thing, what is causing it? Is it a medical problem like what you have found? Wonderful, I will help as much as I can. Is it because you went out the night before and didn't get much sleep? I will even help then too 2-3-4 times. But if it becomes a regular deal because you continue to not prepare for work by going out or staying up late, or whatever the reason, then no, we will have a "Come to Jesus" meeting in my office.

I hope you can work it out. Sleep apnea is very treatable and hope life gets back to normal for you soon. Don't worry about what people think in here. The only thing that matters is what you, your crew, and your officer thinks.

Good luck.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Is it because you went out the night before and didn't get much sleep? I will even help then too 2-3-4 times.
    If thats the cause, just run an IV bag. You'll feel much better.

"A couple of suggestions that to me are impractical:
    1) Portable radio by your bed. We have semi open dorms and with 3 stations and 5 ambulances, as well as he other apparatus, all that portable radio is going to do is **** everyone off in the bunk room when they are woke up by every call in the city."

We have nearly 10,000 calls a year and with 7 stations have dispatch over all of them so you hear all the calls 24/7. Not ideal but that's what it is. I have been using a portable next to my bed for over 4 years since being promoted where I was responsible for making sure we responded. Yes it does suck being jolted awake hearing every call come over, but for me missing an alarm is unacceptable and using a portable next to my bed is very practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Whocares View Post
    If thats the cause, just run an IV bag. You'll feel much better.
    I know two medics that are now NOT medics and never will be in the State of Wisconsin again because they ran IV's into each other after they came to work hung over.

Good advice.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

This is clearly a discussion that revolves around career firefighters.

So lets use our heads as reasonable, working people whose livelyhood is unfortunately determined by those that DO NOT do our jobs.

The perceptions about our jobs to the mayors and civilian city council members are what we tell them they are.

So I just can't for the life of me figure out how so many alleged "union" brothers want to discuss how difficult it is to wake up for runs in the middle of the night on an open, public forum.

You can call that dramatic. You can call that over the top. And you can call that paranoid.

But the fire departments in almost every major city are under seige by overzealous politicians who think we are nothing but a waste of taxpayers money. If it isn't your city today, perhaps it will be tomorrow. Arguing about how much sleep you should get, or how difficult it is for you to wake up to go on a run sounds like one thing to a firefighter, but an entirely different thing to a 9 to 5 politician in charge of your departments budget.

I value my job. I value the career I have chosen. And I value to the death the brothers that I work with.

I take it many of you have never seen the damage done to someone when they are laid off.

Like it or not, as the private sector fails - those in it stop ignoring what it is we do and start wondering why the hell we are sometimes home four days out of the week. And they wonder what it is we do all night. And they want to know why they can't get to their kids soccer game at 3pm but you never miss one. And they want to know why in the hell you can retire young while they will still be working another 20 years.

They don't care about line of duty funerals. They don't care about how difficult and dangerous this job can be. They want to attack every single benefit you have because of the simply fact that they don't also have them.

Which is why a discussion about SLEEP in the firehouse shouldn't take place in a public forum when firefighters are being threatened with layoffs and firehouse closures almost daily.

But hey....what do I know?

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz..........

Thread Information