+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 First ... 234567815 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

And this just came out on page 5.....

I don't think it really matters what we discuss in public forums. The general public has, and always will, form their uneducated perception of the fire service from the media and what they see of their local FD. Public Relations is the key.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    I don't think it really matters what we discuss in public forums. The general .
    Time for you to wake up.

It does matter.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's not a great secret that there are beds in fire houses. The public has been educated on that subject at least since Emergency! came out. We do a good job and we need to educate the public on that fact. Yeah, my neighbor has seen me home a lot. He also knows that because of which shift on a 24/48 schedule I'm on that I work 2 Christmases out of every 4 year leap year cycle. People I come in contact with ask about my schedule and working conditions and we're honest with them. Yes, we do get to sleep. We usually get up a couple times a night, and sometimes I don't know why I bothered to buy a pillow. The public accepts that answer. Just like if we come into a sub shop to grab a meal people ask "Don't you guys cook?" Yes we do, but now today, we've been really busy. "Are you guys on lunch break?". No, we're eating lunch, but we're never "off" for a meal. Half the time someone's tone goes off on the radio and I tell the citizen that company was probably at lunch too. Being up front about what we do and what it is like is the best way to get and/or keep public support. There's good and bad about our job. Trying to hide from the public that we sleep and that sometimes it's hard to get up is the wrong way about it. If the public reads this forum they'll also read where a poster said they got up 5 times after midnight. No one has asked for a minimum amount of sleep required, or complained that they had to get up. He could just have easily asked us if we carry any snacks on the rig because he seems to catch calls and miss lunch a lot.

This is what these forums are for. To talk about the job. It's just as much a job related issue to talk about signs of flashover as it is to talk about having a hard time getting up. They're very different issues, but they're both part of what we do. There is a lot of knowledge and experience on here, some good, some bad. Some people may have brought up things on here that no one at their respective houses knew how to answer but someone on here may have some good advice.
    I may speak gibberish, but I don't talk s***! -- Dropkick Murphys

Forum Member

It doesn't matter what we say or do, in hard times people will try to cut us.

Its not because we get certain liberties if we have any downtime (which is neither guaranteed or can be expected). It's because the threat of fire is seen differently than crime and because when someone says "cut X so taxes don't go up" people say ok.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jakesdad View Post
    This is clearly a discussion that revolves around career firefighters.

So lets use our heads as reasonable, working people whose livelyhood is unfortunately determined by those that DO NOT do our jobs.

The perceptions about our jobs to the mayors and civilian city council members are what we tell them they are.

So I just can't for the life of me figure out how so many alleged "union" brothers want to discuss how difficult it is to wake up for runs in the middle of the night on an open, public forum.

You can call that dramatic. You can call that over the top. And you can call that paranoid.

But the fire departments in almost every major city are under seige by overzealous politicians who think we are nothing but a waste of taxpayers money. If it isn't your city today, perhaps it will be tomorrow. Arguing about how much sleep you should get, or how difficult it is for you to wake up to go on a run sounds like one thing to a firefighter, but an entirely different thing to a 9 to 5 politician in charge of your departments budget.

I value my job. I value the career I have chosen. And I value to the death the brothers that I work with.

I take it many of you have never seen the damage done to someone when they are laid off.

Like it or not, as the private sector fails - those in it stop ignoring what it is we do and start wondering why the hell we are sometimes home four days out of the week. And they wonder what it is we do all night. And they want to know why they can't get to their kids soccer game at 3pm but you never miss one. And they want to know why in the hell you can retire young while they will still be working another 20 years.

They don't care about line of duty funerals. They don't care about how difficult and dangerous this job can be. They want to attack every single benefit you have because of the simply fact that they don't also have them.

Which is why a discussion about SLEEP in the firehouse shouldn't take place in a public forum when firefighters are being threatened with layoffs and firehouse closures almost daily.

But hey....what do I know?

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz..........
    First of all, I find it humorous that you threw out the "'union' brothers" card. From what I've always learned is that as a "brother", we've got our brother's back. And as far as the union is concerned, most union guys I know would take the approach that this has to be an issue where the department administration isn't taking the proper measures to keep up with the standards for arousing sleeping firefighters (proper dB of siren, lights, etc.).

As far as public image is concerned, that's why we do PR. There are numerous examples of what a good PR program can do, with the end result being that the public is outraged any time the city fathers try to screw their public safety personnel.

Not only has our FD and police achieved getting the general support of the public through PR, but we got a rather large sales tax passed in order to build two new stations, hire 35 fire personnel, just as many police officers, build a multi-million dollar joint training facility, and then equip each new station with apparatus.

When our pension fund was in trouble, the newspapers were full of letters to the editor about the city trying to screw their public safety personnel. When the public found out we've been runing 10% short on manpower, they once again wrote letter after letter to the papers having a fit. While the city council/manager may be out to screw us, they sure as hell don't do it where the public finds out about it. That's what a good (I still consider it mediocre, myself) PR program does for you.

If you're having that big of a problem with public perception, maybe it's time for you and your "union brothers" to start working with your administration on a PR program.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    First of all, I find it humorous that you threw out the "'union' brothers" card. From what I've always learned is that as a "brother", we've got our brother's back. And as far as the union is concerned, most union guys I know would take the approach that this has to be an issue where the department administration isn't taking the proper measures to keep up with the standards for arousing sleeping firefighters (proper dB of siren, lights, etc.).

As far as public image is concerned, that's why we do PR. There are numerous examples of what a good PR program can do, with the end result being that the public is outraged any time the city fathers try to screw their public safety personnel.

Not only has our FD and police achieved getting the general support of the public through PR, but we got a rather large sales tax passed in order to build two new stations, hire 35 fire personnel, just as many police officers, build a multi-million dollar joint training facility, and then equip each new station with apparatus.

When our pension fund was in trouble, the newspapers were full of letters to the editor about the city trying to screw their public safety personnel. When the public found out we've been runing 10% short on manpower, they once again wrote letter after letter to the papers having a fit. While the city council/manager may be out to screw us, they sure as hell don't do it where the public finds out about it. That's what a good (I still consider it mediocre, myself) PR program does for you.

If you're having that big of a problem with public perception, maybe it's time for you and your "union brothers" to start working with your administration on a PR program.

There is a saying in the city firehouses where I work that says something to the effect of:

"What you see here
    What you say here
    What you do here
    When you leave here
    Let it stay here"

As long as your city doesn't have problems I guess it is ok to lament about a loss of sleep while you are at work?

If we are to truly get each others back, then this is a topic that SHOULD NOT be discussed in a public forum.

Just because it isn't screwing you right now, doesn't mean it isn't screwing someone else.

Brother.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Extinguisher911.....

I am glad you have taken effort to find the root to the problem. You seem to be going about it in a very honorable way, as I would expect a person to do. See, in my opinion, there is a difference in what is causing the problem. If it happens now and again, so what, we are all human. If it becomes a regular thing, what is causing it? Is it a medical problem like what you have found? Wonderful, I will help as much as I can. Is it because you went out the night before and didn't get much sleep? I will even help then too 2-3-4 times. But if it becomes a regular deal because you continue to not prepare for work by going out or staying up late, or whatever the reason, then no, we will have a "Come to Jesus" meeting in my office.

I hope you can work it out. Sleep apnea is very treatable and hope life gets back to normal for you soon. Don't worry about what people think in here. The only thing that matters is what you, your crew, and your officer thinks.

Good luck.
    Christ, I can't imagine all the BS in this thread. I am looking for some simple advice.

1. I have acknowledged, before anyone else in my command structure has, that there is a problem.
    2. Based on some advice here and there I have begun taking steps to ensure this does not continue.
    3. I may seek proper medical counseling to rule out a medical issue.

Finally, I am a brother firefighter. Am I union, yes. Does that matter in this post, no. The union does not fight fire differently than any other department. I don't go to a fire with my union contract in my back pocket.

Now I have appreciated the advice given from people here. I wish I could have gotten more advice and less BS but you get what you get.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokker416 View Post
    It's not a great secret that there are beds in fire houses. The public has been educated on that subject at least since Emergency! came out. We do a good job and we need to educate the public on that fact. Yeah, my neighbor has seen me home a lot. He also knows that because of which shift on a 24/48 schedule I'm on that I work 2 Christmases out of every 4 year leap year cycle. People I come in contact with ask about my schedule and working conditions and we're honest with them. Yes, we do get to sleep. We usually get up a couple times a night, and sometimes I don't know why I bothered to buy a pillow. The public accepts that answer. Just like if we come into a sub shop to grab a meal people ask "Don't you guys cook?" Yes we do, but now today, we've been really busy. "Are you guys on lunch break?". No, we're eating lunch, but we're never "off" for a meal. Half the time someone's tone goes off on the radio and I tell the citizen that company was probably at lunch too. Being up front about what we do and what it is like is the best way to get and/or keep public support. There's good and bad about our job. Trying to hide from the public that we sleep and that sometimes it's hard to get up is the wrong way about it. If the public reads this forum they'll also read where a poster said they got up 5 times after midnight. No one has asked for a minimum amount of sleep required, or complained that they had to get up. He could just have easily asked us if we carry any snacks on the rig because he seems to catch calls and miss lunch a lot.

This is what these forums are for. To talk about the job. It's just as much a job related issue to talk about signs of flashover as it is to talk about having a hard time getting up. They're very different issues, but they're both part of what we do. There is a lot of knowledge and experience on here, some good, some bad. Some people may have brought up things on here that no one at their respective houses knew how to answer but someone on here may have some good advice.
    Your head is in the sand on this one.

To each their own I guess.

For every one on here that says they dont have to worry about their job, there is a guy who is.

For every city that isn't looking to close companies and layoff firefighters, there is a city that is.

Keep discussing this terribly pressing issue about sleeping and how hard it is to wake up.

I am choosing to not do so anymore.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

This is clearly a discussion that revolves around career firefighters.

Thank you Albert Einstein for that brilliant stating of the obvious.

So lets use our heads as reasonable, working people whose livelyhood is unfortunately determined by those that DO NOT do our jobs.

You first. When you can look at this reasonably and stop the "chicken little the sky is falling" BS maybe we can believe you can be reasonable.

The perceptions about our jobs to the mayors and civilian city council members are what we tell them they are.

You must be doing a bad job then if this has you so worried.

So I just can't for the life of me figure out how so many alleged "union" brothers want to discuss how difficult it is to wake up for runs in the middle of the night on an open, public forum.

You are the one who is blowing this WAY out of proportion. Most everyone else here has said at one time or another they had trouble waking up. You turned it into a huge issue, telling him to get out of firefighting, it isn't your job to have a Brother's back, the politicians will lay us off if they knew we slept. God Dude could you be any more ridiculous?

You can call that dramatic. You can call that over the top. And you can call that paranoid.

Paranoid? Damn right. Scary paranoid on your part.

But the fire departments in almost every major city are under seige by overzealous politicians who think we are nothing but a waste of taxpayers money. If it isn't your city today, perhaps it will be tomorrow. Arguing about how much sleep you should get, or how difficult it is for you to wake up to go on a run sounds like one thing to a firefighter, but an entirely different thing to a 9 to 5 politician in charge of your departments budget.

You are the only one who keeps mentioning how much sleep anyone is getting. The original post had nothing to do with how much slep, or sleeping all night. You brought that into this paranoid boy. It had t do with a BROTHER asking for advice. Not for you Oh Perfect One to kick him in the nuts and tell him to get out of firefighting if he can't wake up on his own.

I value my job. I value the career I have chosen. And I value to the death the brothers that I work with.

Unless one of them has trouble waking up. Then F### him, it isn't your job to wake him up.

I take it many of you have never seen the damage done to someone when they are laid off.

Blah, blah, blah. Been there, done that, lived through it. Your point?

Like it or not, as the private sector fails - those in it stop ignoring what it is we do and start wondering why the hell we are sometimes home four days out of the week. And they wonder what it is we do all night. And they want to know why they can't get to their kids soccer game at 3pm but you never miss one. And they want to know why in the hell you can retire young while they will still be working another 20 years.

I have never had anyone, outside of the fire service, after I explained my work schedule and the number of hours I have to work before I get overtime say to me golly I wish I had that schedule. Most agree with me when I say that I work more hours in a year than they do and over a career it about evens out with the amount of time they will work. I explain that this is a young man's job and what we actually are expected to be able to do. A few still groused, but most went away with a different perspective.

They don't care about line of duty funerals. They don't care about how difficult and dangerous this job can be. They want to attack every single benefit you have because of the simply fact that they don't also have them.

Where I work we get treated quite well by the public. People stop and talk and want to know and understand what we do. Not everyone of course but it is a majority. We have people stop in the firehouse fairly often to thank us for a call that impacted them.

Which is why a discussion about SLEEP in the firehouse shouldn't take place in a public forum when firefighters are being threatened with layoffs and firehouse closures almost daily.

We do tours and we TELL PEOPLE WE SLEEP at night in between calls. So it is no secret here. Maybe you should stop trying to hide what you really do from the public.

But hey....what do I know?

On this topic? How to look like a panic mongering ***.

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz..........

Hell, I'm not waking you up. It ain't my F###ING job.
    Have a nice day.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 01-19-2009 at 11:10 PM.

Forum Member

There is a saying in the city firehouses where I work that says something to the effect of:

"What you see here
    What you say here
    What you do here
    When you leave here
    Let it stay here"

As long as your city doesn't have problems I guess it is ok to lament about a loss of sleep while you are at work?

If we are to truly get each others back, then this is a topic that SHOULD NOT be discussed in a public forum.

Just because it isn't screwing you right now, doesn't mean it isn't screwing someone else.

Brother.
    If you are afraid to have the public know what you doi in the firehouse you have bigger issues than someone not waking up for a call. Other than few pranks and some rough language I am not afraid of the public knowing wht we do. Why are you so terrified of it? What dastadly deeds are occuring inside your firehouse? Please....Oh Please GOD! NO, the firemen are sleping at night when there isn't any calls....OH LORDY LORD!!

Psst...you ain't a Brother in my book.

Forum Member

Your head is in the sand on this one.

To each their own I guess.

For every one on here that says they dont have to worry about their job, there is a guy who is.

For every city that isn't looking to close companies and layoff firefighters, there is a city that is.

Keep discussing this terribly pressing issue about sleeping and how hard it is to wake up.

I am choosing to not do so anymore.
    Ummm, this topic would have ended probably after the second page if it wasn't for your completely idiotic ramblings.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Extinguisher911 View Post
    Christ, I can't imagine all the BS in this thread. I am looking for some simple advice.

1. I have acknowledged, before anyone else in my command structure has, that there is a problem.
    2. Based on some advice here and there I have begun taking steps to ensure this does not continue.

Finally, I am a brother firefighter. Am I union, yes. Does that matter in this post, no. The union does not fight fire differently than any other department. I don't go to a fire with my union contract in my back pocket.

Now I have appreciated the advice given from people here. I wish I could have gotten more advice and less BS but you get what you get.
    I think you have made all the right moves with this. It may be a temporary thing and work itself out. I would hazard a bet that more firefighters have slept through tones than have not. Asking a Brother firefighter on your same rig to make sure you get up is not a major hardship if you can return the favor when you get up and they don't. It ain't rocket science.

Good luck.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 01-19-2009 at 11:21 PM.

Forum Member

here no bull****

Ask the boss if he has had problems like this or has advice. It'll show him that you know there is a problem and are working to fix it.

See if you can turn the speaker in the bunk room up. (or if there is one just outside the bunk room door turn it down) You might be hearing chatter all night which makes you ignore the house tones since it is just more "noise"

sleep under the speaker and/or close to the door.

if you are at a different house, ask someone just to give your bunk a kick on the way by.

find who knows what they are doing/at 911 center and take them a pager you got off of ebay and get it programmed to the house tones. sleep with that by your head.

when you go to sleep, think about listening for the house tones.

do you guys have a printer/computer that recieves jobs in the firehouse? if you do sleep in a chair by that, you can probably jack the volume up on it for when a job comes through.

try to not get too comfortable. sleep on your back maybe, prop your head up with extra pillows.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Ummm, this topic would have ended probably after the second page if it wasn't for your completely idiotic ramblings.

It is obvious that you can't have a levelheaded discussion about anything with anyone that might see something from a different perspective than you.

But since you are in Wisconsin, perhaps news doesn't travel that far out to you in the middle of nowhere.

So I will let you in on a little secret....the busiest fire department located in the largest city in the United States is closing companies for the night tour. A department that has lost more men in the line of duty then most departments have members. And a department that has more than justified its existence.

And believe me, if a department that responds to close to a half a million runs a year can close companies down at night, then they can certainly do it in whatever "camp" you work at.

But it's not your problem, so go back to bed...right?

Try to offer something to the discussion other than your absurd, child-like rantings and perhaps someone might take you seriously. Your point just gets lost in all of your fake tough-guy rantings. Save that crap for the bar. On here it just sounds foolish.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Fokker416 View Post

Great post bro. PM me when you come to town for the OFC. I got the first round for you and your boys.
    -Rob from the other OFD
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

Forum Member

It is obvious that you can't have a levelheaded discussion about anything with anyone that might see something from a different perspective than you.

And who is calling for the sky to fall? It is YOU. You took a simple question and turned it into a vendetta against letting the public and politicians know that on occasion we sleep in the firehouse in between runs.

But since you are in Wisconsin, perhaps news doesn't travel that far out to you in the middle of nowhere.

Yep, because the Milwaukee metro area isn't suffering the same consequences. But funny no where do they say we are laying guys off or not hiring because of possible sleeping at night. It is BUDGET issues, not sleeping. Maybe you need to get a clue.

So I will let you in on a little secret....the busiest fire department located in the largest city in the United States is closing companies for the night tour. A department that has lost more men in the line of duty then most departments have members. And a department that has more than justified its existence.

Golly, thanks for the news flash. I guess you can read what is posted on FH.com too.

And believe me, if a department that responds to close to a half a million runs a year can close companies down at night, then they can certainly do it in whatever "camp" you work at.

Oh, that's funny...Camp. Oh, he he he. Grow up.

But it's not your problem, so go back to bed...right?

There it is again. Dude can you stay on topic? A BROTHER asks for a little help with sleeping through a couple of alarms and you go off half cocked like a drunk at a super bowl party. You are probably the guy who sits at the kitchen table and ****es and moans all day about how the politicians and public hate the fire department. Well, if you live in an armed camp and try to keep everything you do secret I would bet they do hate you.

Try to offer something to the discussion other than your absurd, child-like rantings and perhaps someone might take you seriously. Your point just gets lost in all of your fake tough-guy rantings. Save that crap for the bar. On here it just sounds foolish.

Sure chicken little. When you stop taking a simple topic and turning it into your Don Quixote tilting at wind mills lunacy. I sound foolish? You look like a panic mongering crumudgeon who simply looks for something to BITCH about.
    I am just laughing my *** off at you. The more you post the more foolish you look.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 01-20-2009 at 03:41 AM.

Forum Member

I am just laughing my *** off at you. The more you post the more foolish you look.

The debate is over when all you have left is your slander and school-yard name calling. That used to be a fun way to debate a topic back in 7th grade.

But then again...this seems to be the ONLY way you know how to disagree.

From the sounds of your posts...yes...you work in a camp.

You obviously can't see the bigger picture, so you can also stick your head back into the sand. Or in your case, the pillow.

Banned

Just one comment. These forums are anything but open. The WEB Nazis are constantly in here taking people down.

Consider yourselves lucky. There aren't any other jobs that allow you to sleep on the job. I say if it is a problem that you can't wake up, then do like most working Americans. Don't sleep. Simple solution to a simple problem. No one is making anyone sleep.

Forum Member

Then **** off and write to Dear Abby. What part of firefighter forum did you not understand?
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does your job do housewatch? Offer to take the late/last watch until you think you have broken this habit.

Are you allowed to nap in the afternoon? Even a short catnap of half an hour to an hour can be enough to recharge your batteries, and maybe you wont sleep so heavy at night. Hit the bunk in the afternoon if activities and call volume permits, set an alarm so you wont sleep too long....not uncommon for us to avg. a run an hour in the middle of the night. Alot of guys here catch few Zs when they can.

Can you transfer to a busier house? After kicking kicked 4 or 5 times in the night could break your habit too. I personaly would rather be in a busy house any way.

Not a good idea to have a portable turned up all the way here with 29 other firehouses running around all night. We have an engine, truck, and chief in our house so things are always crazy here.

Forum Member

Time for you to wake up.

It does matter.
    I'm paranoid, I'm paranoid; everyone's coming to get me...

I've seen layoffs before. I've seen houses closed. Hell there coming again. What's your point? I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the Firehouse Forums. Do you really think that the public thinks we don't sleep? They must have never seen Ladder 29 then.

I'm paranoid, I'm paranoid; everyone's coming to get me...

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink Help

Does anyone have a problem waking up? Can you program a pager or some handhelds can be programed as a pager and crank the volume? OUr station has a large red flur. light and a speaker so when tones go off a red light comes on and we still have people sleep through the tones. Some people are heavy sleepers. Good luck.

Forum Member

The debate is over when all you have left is your slander and school-yard name calling. That used to be a fun way to debate a topic back in 7th grade.

But then again...this seems to be the ONLY way you know how to disagree.

From the sounds of your posts...yes...you work in a camp.

You obviously can't see the bigger picture, so you can also stick your head back into the sand. Or in your case, the pillow.
    Still laughing at you and even harder now than before. You want to throw around the Brother card and yet you are the only one here that told this guy if he couldn't wake up he should find another career.

The only one who is trying to make a simple topic, asking for help, into a cataclysmic, lock the fire station doors, keep what we do secret from the public and politicians...IS YOU. I am not afraid to have a citizen OR one of our alderman walk into the fire station anytime day or night. They know what we do for the most part.

If you think I work in a camp, I would rather be there than in your locked down facility that sounds like it is a private club. What goes on in there that is so horrific that the public can't know about it. Obviously you guys never sleep since you all would be laid off if you did. Do you eat? Do you ever shower? Any guys ever bring in projects from home? Or work on their car? OH HORROR!!

Dude, do you ever even read what other people post? Or can't you see it because of the chip on your shoulder?

Nice phoney attempt at taking the high road while firing shots at the same time.

Forum Member

Still laughing at you and even harder now than before. You want to throw around the Brother card and yet you are the only one here that told this guy if he couldn't wake up he should find another career.

The only one who is trying to make a simple topic, asking for help, into a cataclysmic, lock the fire station doors, keep what we do secret from the public and politicians...IS YOU. I am not afraid to have a citizen OR one of our alderman walk into the fire station anytime day or night. They know what we do for the most part.

If you think I work in a camp, I would rather be there than in your locked down facility that sounds like it is a private club. What goes on in there that is so horrific that the public can't know about it. Obviously you guys never sleep since you all would be laid off if you did. Do you eat? Do you ever shower? Any guys ever bring in projects from home? Or work on their car? OH HORROR!!

Dude, do you ever even read what other people post? Or can't you see it because of the chip on your shoulder?

Nice phoney attempt at taking the high road while firing shots at the same time.

As usual, you take extreme liberties in classifying and judging those that offer a difference of opinion. You do it time and time again.

If someone couldn't raise a portable ladder by themselves, you would call into question whether this was the job for them. And if someone couldn't repeatedly force a door successfully or perform a primary search, you would also wonder it this was the job for them.

Thusly, if you are required to work at night, and you are in such a deep sleep that you repeatedly can't wake up when summoned for a run, then it stands to reason that shift work may not be for you, and that there are plenty of other callings that don't require one to work the overnight shift.

It is a legitimate question and if you take such offense to it, then perhaps you also have a hard time waking up for runs and are just simply being defensive. If so, I suggest you take the advice of others on here and work it out.

That being said, to here a grown man solicit advice on an interent forum as to how to wake up for a run in the middle of the night because he has fallen into such a deep sleep that he can't get up on his own is shameful.

This is the kind of thing he should be asking one of the members of his department. The kind of thing you keep in house. And if he can't ask those that he works with, and that are witness to it, then he has a much bigger problem then sleeping through runs.

We can have pages and pages of debates on the merits of installing car seats for good PR. But if what the public thinks about us doesn't matter, then why do any of that crap? Because deep down, you know that it does.

If what we did didn't matter to anyone but US, then the phrase public relations would never even be uttered in a firehouse. Yet it is, incessantly as a matter of fact in most places.

Police precints don't get closed at night. But there are dozens of cities looking to shut down firehouses at night.

No one said don't rest - if you can be responsible enough to actually get up when you are needed. But stop flaunting your tales of deep sleep and act like a professional when you speak in a public forum.

Forum Member

I am not afraid to have a citizen OR one of our alderman walk into the fire station anytime day or night. They know what we do for the most part.

Just so I have this straight...you would have no problem with the city council members and the mayor who negotiates your contract and pay raises standing over your bed while you missed a run because you were too sound asleep to wake up for it?

If you said you would have no problem with it, then you are a liar who will no longer have a single stitch of credibility left on here.

And if you say you would have a problem with it, then you are making my argument for me as to why this topic should be discussed IN HOUSE.

I won't fault you for not answering this one. It's a lose/lose for you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 First ... 234567815 ... Last

Thread Information