MembersZone Subscriber

Default Not waking for house tones

I know we have all done it at least once, so lets not get into that. Well yesterday was the 3rd time in 3 months that I missed a late night house tone. It seems that once a month I miss a call. One of my fellow backstepers' knows it and looks out for me. Well I was on OT and didn't have someone watching my back. I did not miss the run but had to be paged over the intercom. When I miss tones, I never even hear them. Our paging system is not as loud as my old POC dept. Also at my old POC the lights come on. At my fulltime the bunk lights don't come on. I never missed a call before starting my fulltime.

Anyone here got any advice....

Forum Member

not having the lights come on is kind of weird, but you can't change that so oh well.

Make sure you are well rested before going into work, and try to sleep in a way that isn't extremely comfortable

Forum Member

It happens.....But that many times in that short a time span? Wow you crank out some Z's boy!

I had the same problem, although not as often. I slept very soundly (could fall asleep anywhere, too....one time fell asleep in the jumpseats on the way back from a run, and there they left me till I woke up an hour later after everyone else went upstairs to bed.....)

-The buddy system is good, but like you said, what happens if you are on OT or a shift trade? Even if you are not working your normal shift, get someone to kick your bed if there is a run.

-House lights work wonders.....Perhaps your department could look into them. It's not really expensive to do.

-Do you have pagers? Perhaps you could put one on the bedside table, with the volume all the way up.....
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Put a portable radio next to your bed with the volume up. That is what I do and it works.

Forum Member

if your department can afford it get get this alerting system...

http://www.firestationalerting.com/c...page/Itemid,1/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Extinguisher911 View Post
    I know we have all done it at least once, so lets not get into that. Well yesterday was the 3rd time in 3 months that I missed a late night house tone. It seems that once a month I miss a call. One of my fellow backstepers' knows it and looks out for me. Well I was on OT and didn't have someone watching my back. I did not miss the run but had to be paged over the intercom. When I miss tones, I never even hear them. Our paging system is not as loud as my old POC dept. Also at my old POC the lights come on. At my fulltime the bunk lights don't come on. I never missed a call before starting my fulltime.

Anyone here got any advice....
    1st piece of advice - end questions with question marks.

2nd piece of advise - when your buddy that normally kicks your bed is off, ask someone else to do it.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

wire your bed in with the tones
    a little shock ought to get you up and going!!! lol!!!
    Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

Forum Member

If you can't wake up for a run..then don't go to sleep at work.

It shouldn't be someones elses' responsibility to "get your back" and wake you up.

I find it hard to believe you are even asking this question.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

In the house I work in it is simply the norm to cover each others *** and make sure the entire crew gets up. It seems to me it happens to everyone eventually that you miss the tones. Either you had a rough day the day before, or you aren't feeling particularly well, or you just were fortunate enough to fall into a good deep restful sleep...it happens.

A couple of suggestions that to me are impractical:

1) Portable radio by your bed. We have semi open dorms and with 3 stations and 5 ambulances, as well as he other apparatus, all that portable radio is going to do is **** everyone off in the bunk room when they are woke up by every call in the city.

2) Don't ever sleep on duty. Totally impractical, especially when you are working trades and may be there for 2 or 3 days in a row. It is a simple thing to ask some one on the same rig to make sure you are up, just as you would do it for therm.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dfd3dfd3 View Post
    Put a portable radio next to your bed with the volume up. That is what I do and it works.

I would be up every few minutes with all the dispatch chatter throughout the night from the other stations.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is there a volume knob on the speaker? If so, turn it up. If not, maybe the FD needs to install one with an adjustable volume to make sure it wakes everyone up. I don't know of any standard that regulates the decibal rating of tones, but if it's not loud enough to wake everyone up (I have my doubts you're the only one to not wake up for tones), it's time to turn up the volume and/or find a new system (add lights).

Out of curiosity, do they just leave without you if you're not on the truck?

Quote Originally Posted by jakesdad View Post

It shouldn't be someones elses' responsibility to "get your back" and wake you up.

You're kidding, right? I will agree with you, though, in that it's not someone else's responsibility to "get your back." But it is the officer's responsibility to make sure his entire crew is on the truck and ready to go.

As FyredUp already pointed out, you can't expect a guy on OT (which he said he was on in his original post) or even someone working a 24 not to sleep during the shift.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Where I work..................

Posted previously

But it is the officer's responsibility to make sure his entire crew is on the truck and ready to go.

There are a lot of things that an Officer is reponsible for.............
    You getting on the rig is not one of them, and do not start with the what if he is sick or dead in the rack. Yes I would look for him and yes his well-being is paramount, but after that...............

There are 2 things that are expected of Firemen when they go to work....
    1) Show up on time
    2) Go where they tell you

If these 2 things can't be accomplished, fix the problem or transfer to Staff so you can work days. Yeah, I know but it is an option because if you worked for me, after the 2nd issue you would be writing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Fire303 View Post
    Posted previously

But it is the officer's responsibility to make sure his entire crew is on the truck and ready to go.

There are a lot of things that an Officer is reponsible for.............
    You getting on the rig is not one of them, and do not start with the what if he is sick or dead in the rack. Yes I would look for him and yes his well-being is paramount, but after that...............

There are 2 things that are expected of Firemen when they go to work....
    1) Show up on time
    2) Go where they tell you

If these 2 things can't be accomplished, fix the problem or transfer to Staff so you can work days. Yeah, I know but it is an option because if you worked for me, after the 2nd issue you would be writing.

Your 2 expectations are all well and good (even if it's missing quite a few expectation), but I can tell you what would happen if I showed up on a fire missing a crewmember. The Batt Chief wouldn't be asking him where he was, he'd be asking me, being the Captain. Care to guess who's going to get disciplined for leaving the station without a fully manned company?

Bottom line is the Captain (or whatever rank the crew supervisor has) is responsible for his crew and his truck, that includes leaving with a fully-staffed company. If I have a member having trouble waking up to night tones, we're not going to leave him sleeping, we're going to find a way to identify the root of the problem and solve it as opposed to "teaching him a lesson" and leaving him in bed while we run the call.

MembersZone Subscriber

Look on eBay and find a used pager...Minitor II, III, IV, V...doesn't matter. Program it to your department's radio frequency and alert tones. Put it by your bed with the volume up.

If you get a Min III, IV, or V, you can use the vibe function and put it under your pillow. The Minitor V's have a setting that allows a vibe/beep at the same time, and would be most effective, either by your bed, attached to your body, or under the pillow.

Other than that, just ask one of your guys to make sure you are up. I don't think that is too much to ask. You are all there to do the job together, and have to look out for each other.
    Everyone's body is different, and doesn't wake up in the same manner. You are not intentionally sleeping through the alarm, you just have no control over it.
    If someone asked me to check their bed when the alarm goes off, then I would see it as my responsibility. He/She asked me because they know they have a sleep problem. It's my responsibility to look out for my crew just as they would do for me.

Anyone who says otherwise has the wrong attitude. In the same way, anyone who says something ignorant like "well, just stay awake and don't sleep" is also full of it, because no one should be asked to stay awake for 24 hours. When we are working, we have a tough job to do, and adequate rest and sleep is necessary.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just have your wife come sleep with you at the station. I am sure she would have no problem of waking up and then kicking you out of bed to go on a call!!! haha

MembersZone Subscriber

I used to have the same problem.

My situation was we had individual rooms and we had pagers so I just put a pager next to my head when I went to sleep. If I was at another station with a dorm type sleeping area, I would bribe the newbie with ice cream or to do some of his cleaning duties if he would make sure I was up.

I'm sure the department doesn't care if you can wake up or not and will not spend the money to install more speakers or automatic lights just for you. Granted, it happens now and again, no big deal. But if it becomes a regular thing and you get dependant on having someone wake you up, that's a problem. You are a big boy and the other guys at the house are not your babysitter.

A good officer will make sure all his guys are on the truck before you leave and will make sure you get yourself up either a good arse chewing or whatever will motivate you. Eventually, you will need to get used to the idea of getting up on your own.

Hopefully one of these tricks will work for you.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I think someone should be able to hear the alarm since it is rather loud (atleast where I work)

But to comment on your post, it is fun to kick their bed to wake them up though!!!

Forum Member

Excellent idea, I'm sure the other guys on the truck want someone riding with them to the 5am fire that hasn't slept in 20 hours. If his co-workers can't look over to see if he is in his bunk, something is wrong.

I find it hard to believe you are even that bent out of shape about it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Reply to Catch22

The Officer is responsible to have a fully staffed company.Yes

It still is not his job to make sure every little Cub Scout gets up for the run.

Where is the personal responsibility for doing your job?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dickie

You are on dead on target with your reply.

MembersZone Subscriber

Have you tried different beds? If you don't have a pager system and the calls come over an intercom, have you tried moving to a bed that is more directly under a speaker? We had someone who had some troubles and that solved it for them. Also, get a bed that's near the door so maybe the crew walking by or the door opening will get you up. Not to mention if you tell people you have a problem and you're on their way out they are more likely to give you a kick. You need to seriously fix this though. It's not uncommon for this to become an disciplinary issue for people who don't get up. Getting up at night and getting on the rig ready to go is a job related skill.
    I may speak gibberish, but I don't talk s***! -- Dropkick Murphys

Forum Member

First off you should admit that this is YOUR problem, not your buddies or your officers. Now i'm sure most if not all the previous suggestions would work. But to be honest with you if i had to wake you up more than once the next time you're on your own. I speak from experience and have let more than 1 person sleep through calls. In the morning the embarrassment is usually enough of a motivator to change the behavior.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by slipperypete View Post
    In the morning the embarrassment is usually enough of a motivator to change the behavior.
    I know from experience that this is true. The ribbing, the amount of alarm clocks, stuffed roosters, and wake up calls over the PA you get is enough to make you change your behavior real quick! And I only missed one darn call. The Captain at the time had to rustle me out of my nest. I had to clean the officer's quarters for a month after that!

If that doesn't work, a good arse chewing works wonders too.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Try farming.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Try farming.
    God I laugh hard at your responses, good thing I wasn't drinking anything at the time I read it.

farming requires getting up early before breakfast too!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information