View Poll Results: Do you register POVs with the state?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • We register all POVs.

2 22.22%
  • We only register POVs with lights and siren.

3 33.33%
  • We do not register any POVs.

4 44.44%

Default Vehicle Registration

Do you guys(volunteers) register your POV with the state even if you do not run lights and siren. We have only registered members POVs if they run lights and siren, but were recently told that we should register all POVs.

Forum Member

In MA, our red light permits include a box that says we are under the town's insurance. Beyond that, the vehicles are not registered with the dept or town.

Forum Member

I am not sure what we do.....I think we do RLS ones only.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

We encourage everybody to do it. I think it's only required if you are using lights and sirens, but in the event someone doesn't initially use L&S, but changes their mind later in the year, at least it's already been inspected......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

It has been several years since I was the one who did the vehicle inspections and submitted reports to the SFM's office... so things may have changed. When I did do this, the rule was that in order to "respond" as a public safety vehicle, your vehicle had to be inspected to ensure all safety devices worked AND the vehicle had to be equipped with a warning light and audible device that met the requirements of the Ohio Revised Code. Once these requirements were met, the state issues a permit (annually) that is affixed to the lower corner of the passenger side of the windshield. This permit had to be displayed to the center of the car from a standarized maltese cross that was also provided by the SFM's office.

So... if that is still how the requirements are listed in the Ohio Administrative Code, you would only be able to summit vehicles that are equipped with lights and sirens. All others would not be classified as a "public safety vehicle" so listing them would serve no purpose. If someone added lights and sirens to their vehicle, we would submit a supplemental form to the SFM's office to obtain their permit.
    Last edited by MetalMedic; 02-07-2009 at 06:51 PM.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

I have been checking into this issure since posting. The inspectin form has a checklist that ask for Siren and emergency warning lights of the form. I think we are going to stick to vehicles equiped with lights and siren.

The funny thing is the state inspection form also ask for "Break" lights which I think are like brake lights. LOL
    Last edited by 1500chief; 01-17-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1500chief View Post
    I have been checking into this issure since posting. The inspectin form has a checklist that ask for Siren and emergency warning lights of the form. I think we are going to stick to vehicles equiped with lights and siren.

The funny thing is the state inspection form also ask for "Break" lights wich I think are like brake lights. LOL
    I suppose if the "brake" lights don't work, they may cause something to "break".... or, perhaps the "break" lights are meant to tell you when to go to rehab???
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Thread Information