Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly3 View Post
    bharer75 You are obviously a volunteer or work as a part time fire fighter by saying "you barely work as it is". You probably do barely work as it is and when you go home to your moms basement she probably lets you sleep for a few.
    HAHAHA are you serious dude? what department do you work for?

Let's talk fire trucks!

Its too late Ive got too many years in Unless you can pay me 70 thou a year to do your mom.
    Wow, great words of leadership from a union president. You do realize how little credibility you have when you resort to "mom" bashing on here? C'mon.

In my department, which will top 50,000 runs this year, we're doing 78% EMS. This means that that other 22% of the time are fire alarms, MVA's, mulch fires, rescues, and the occaisional building fire. While I don't have the exact number of fire calls for last year in front of me, let's just say that the number was 300 "working fires". This means roughly 6 per week. Now, with 20 stations being covered by three different shifts, what are the overall chances of your shift/station catching work? If you happen to work in one of our rougher areas, the chances increase, versus our wealthy neighborhoods with 7000SF mansions.

As a company officer, I am compelled to ensure that those in my charge are ready to face all hazards that are presented to us. Does that mean sometimes pulling hoses? Yes. Throwing ladders? Yes. Pump Ops? Uh huh. Sure, it might seem bread-and-butter ops to you, but I'm fairly sure that the citizens that I'm obligated to protect appreciate the department members being ready for their mission, not just waiting for the next call so we can get some OJT.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Permanently Removed

Default Havnt been on in awhile.

Thanks for all the input guys. You guys ROCK!!! take care and peace out.

MembersZone Subscriber

There is nothing to this job, why are we making it so technical? Lets take calls save lives and put fires out.
    I completely agree! Why should the fire department be so technical? Next time I'm called out on a building collapse, I'm going to tell the bystanders to do the work! There's nothing to it! Setting up a combination haul on a Ladder Company is a piece of cake, too!

Training can be monotonous, even to the point that you've done something so many times that you can perform the task blindfolded! Isn't that the point of training, though? I'm sure the citizens who pay your check would rather have your company training than constantly playing jokes. Granted, there's a time and place for jokes - but there's a time and place for training too. It's just part of the job.

Forum Member

I see what you mean.. I looked it up and an affiliated department is required 20 hours emergency related training a month.. I think you should get a set time..

Permanently Removed

Default Brt?

"BRT".........I'm still laughing.
    Heres some funny ****. Made navy beans, onion and a ham hock for din. Later it wasnt funny anymore so much farting, then we noticed all of our farts smelled the same, went on a call and the bunk room smelled like a sewer.

Permanently Removed

Because of the economy we arent training hardly at all any more.............Now we are in service all day. Kinda miss training now and being (OOS) out of service not taking medical runs.

Forum Member

got any other complaints?
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Permanently Removed

Default Ive reconsidered.

After all the posts and rebuttals. Ive opened my eyes, I'm a sponge now training like a mad man, reading non stop, I'm even teaching IFSTA and EMS for all three shifts now. I will get published soon.

Forum Member

After all the posts and rebuttals. Ive opened my eyes, I'm a sponge now training like a mad man, reading non stop, I'm even teaching IFSTA and EMS for all three shifts now. I will get published soon.

Hey just go away.

Everyone in here is tired of you lame postings and your bs'ing us.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Hey just go away.

Everyone in here is tired of you lame postings and your bs'ing us.
    He's been in time-out for awhile now ....

plugugly3
    Temporarily Inactive
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

I should just let it die, I can feel the hook already...

I'm assigned to one of the five busiest engine companies in Philly, according to last year's numbers. Don't have them in front of me, but the department averages someting like 750-800 runs a DAY. Let's say 750*365=273,750; call it 275,000 a year for even numbers. Hope that'll satisfy your need for 40,000 runs to qualify a poster, and permit me to besoil your precious thread, because we barely work as it is. I find it hard to believe you are busier, simply because there are only so many companies in the country that are, but it's possible you're in one of them.

We are CONSTANTLY evaluating how we pull hoseline, training on what if situations, and how to do it faster/easier/BETTER. We come up with a plan, then we try it out in the station to see what works. We are a PROFESSIONAL department, which means we owe the citizens we protect and our BROTHERS and SISTERS who depend on us nothing less. Everyone is involved from the senior man down to the newest guy.

Formalized training is somewhat hard to come by in our dept., as only so many companies are allowed to go to the academy each shift. So it is up to us to keep ourselves sharp. Talking things over from the last run, be it a simple alarm system, box run, or even shoe run, is a key training component. Did you see..., how would you handle..., what can we do different/better, why would that be better? Then there are the more structured station exercises, and then discussing the combined operations we do with our ladder guys, training on the street with other companies in the battalion when possible, and that doesn't even touch on cross training with the ladder guys...

As others said before, if you're the union president, I feel bad for your members.
    Last edited by mrpita; 04-21-2009 at 02:39 PM.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Thread Information