Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    Ditto here. And all personnel are also annually fit tested as well.
    Same here, except in addition to a fit test, the masks also undergo a function and pressure test on a mannequin annually.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

We also are issued our own mask, regulator and voice amp. We also have an annual fit test and flow test of the regulator.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Same here, except in addition to a fit test, the masks also undergo a function and pressure test on a mannequin annually.
    Is that the kind you can ****, or is it the boring kind?
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Hey Kramer, I see your feeling better. I was hoping for the worst so I might get some OT in your spot since we are in the Batt. now.

Forum Member

we also have our own mask...........and voice amp thanks to a grant.......I like it.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    We use the Scott Multi-wash solution and follow these directions...

To speed up drying, we blow compressed air to dry the regulator and displace moisture.

At the Fire Acdemy, this procedure is called "dunk and slosh" and the inits are air dried.
    What the Chief said. Each manufacterer should have a product and method to cleaning the regulators they supply with thier packs.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Everyone is issues their own facepiece w/voice amp here. We just switched over to Scotts....LOVE them...

The also gave us a handy dandy storage bag to prevent the facepiece from getting scratched/banged up when not in use.

Somebody mentioned not using it very much and forgetting to take it off the truck when off duty.......Its no different than the rest of your PPE just like your helmet, gloves, and/or any extra gear you carry.

If I'm not mistaken....I do believe there is a standard (not sure if NFPA and/or OSHA) that everyone is to have their own facepiece.....although this is the first department Ive been associated with that does this.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are each issued our own mask after completing probation.

Officers get voice amps and the rest are passed out per seniority.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

We all have our own masks. There are no other masks that are carried on the rig. You bring your mask with you. We are fit tested annually and masks are also tested.

Forum Member

If I'm not mistaken....I do believe there is a standard (not sure if NFPA and/or OSHA) that everyone is to have their own facepiece
    No, the standard states there needs to be a mask available for every SCBA member and members need to tested to have a "fitting" mask. It does not state every member has to have their own mask.

It's usually easier to give each guy their own mask as opposed to all the options being available.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

My own pack with a mask AND a spare mask. T.C,

Forum Member

In our county, everyone gets their own mask. We have MSA. Each mask comes with the HUD and many guys also have the voice amp. There has been talk of obtaining more voice amps. We have to go for a fit test yearly. It is up to each person to keep their mask clean. We also have a log book where we have to document that we inspected it monthly, after each use, and after cleaning it. We are also issued a mask bag to carry it in.

Forum Member

We do not get our own mask, there are 5 mask per engine (one per pack) that we share. Each mask that was in service is cleaned after use. Hopefully we will be receiving a grant soon that will allow every active member to have their own mask. It can get a little frustrating for some of us small guys to find those few mask on the engine that are not stretched out and will give a us a good seal.
    MCFD Station 1- "The Second-Due Saviors."
    ***My views and/or opinions on this site are those of myself and not my department.***

Forum Member

I think people take better care of them if they have there own masks. Its an investment that won't break the bank and is better in the long run. That, and it just plain gross to share masks with anyone no matter how much you clean them. I can think of a couple of guys I would not want to follow.

Early Adopter

We benefitted from a FIRE Act grant a few years back that allowed us to get rid of our mix of MSA packs (with low pressure hoses and waist mounted regulators) and Survivair packs -- both at 2216 psi. Not only did you not get your own mask, you were sure what type of pack you would be wearing as no rig had all of one type.

Now, all of the apparatus have 4500 psi Scott packs and everyone is issue their own mask. Not only is it more hygienic, but I think having masks that are properly sized (including the nose cone for some members) improves everyone's performance while working in SCBA. Whether it's a mask or gloves or bunker pants, you work better when your equipment fits you properly.

Thread Information