Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Arrow Cal Fire ff1 hiring 2009

I have been sending in my applications for the firefighter 1 with CAL FIRE, and I have visited some stations and I have heard different things from various captains and engineers regarding hiring this year and whether they will be 3-0 or 4-0 staffing this year. Some guys said they were doing 3-0 this year and others said it could go either way and it depends on the budget and some other factors. I was hoping someone around here might know a bit more about this?
    I have been following the california budget and I am curious how that will effect hiring, training and safety of firefighters as well. From what I have seen, things are bad and everything is being heavily cut including education and public safety which usually are the last to get touched. I would be great to hear other peoples take on all this stuff too.

Thanks

Forum Member

I dont recall where exactly I read it but Arnold and Cal-Fire are in good graces with one another. I heard that although there may be cuts in other areas of state employment Cal-Fire should be affected little if any. I could be totally off base but thats what I've heard from speaking to representatives of Cal-Fire. I too recenty put in an app. I applied at the San Andreas Unit, hoping to get a call. Good luck man!

Default Cal Fire Cuts

I just recently completed a FF1 academy in butte county and many of the graduates were reassured that we would "most likely" get jobs given we didn't COMPLETELY blow our interviews. However, a lot has changed already for the fire service in Nor Cal. There are several units that are not hiring.

Butte County and Nevada-Yuba-Placer are not holding interviews this season. Santa Cruz has only 5-6 positions they are hiring for (and interviewing 600), Sonoma Lake Napa has 6 slots available (interviewing 260), Shasta-Trinity has 10 spots and you cannot be ranked a 1 on their interview panel without prior firefighting experience, also... Tehama is not hiring, and there is word that Almanor is not hiring either.

The forest service is actually looking more appealing now that Obama is in office, he is offering more money to Federal programs as opposed to state. The USFS is getting a pay raise and by the end of this season they are going to get paid when you sleep (like Cal Fire) when you are on an incident. Very little medical experience... but apply because all CA programs are quickly dwindling... at least until **** hits the fan again, like last year.

good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EnFueg00 View Post

Butte County and Nevada-Yuba-Placer are not holding interviews this season. Santa Cruz has only 5-6 positions they are hiring for (and interviewing 600), Sonoma Lake Napa has 6 slots available (interviewing 260), Shasta-Trinity has 10 spots and you cannot be ranked a 1 on their interview panel without prior firefighting experience, also... Tehama is not hiring, and there is word that Almanor is not hiring either.
    Just thought I would make a correction from this person. Nevada-Yuba-Placer did have interviews. Over a thousand applied and only 120 recieved interviews. Of those only about 15+ spots are open. This is all if they receive their budget for proper staffing. Shasta-Trinity only hired 2 and do not have any more positions available. As far as ranking 1, you do not need previous experience if you nail your interview, I know 1 person who did without prior experience.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EnFueg00 View Post
    I just recently completed a FF1 academy in butte county and many of the graduates were reassured that we would "most likely" get jobs given we didn't COMPLETELY blow our interviews. However, a lot has changed already for the fire service in Nor Cal. There are several units that are not hiring.

The forest service is actually looking more appealing now that Obama is in office, he is offering more money to Federal programs as opposed to state. The USFS is getting a pay raise and by the end of this season they are going to get paid when you sleep (like Cal Fire) when you are on an incident. Very little medical experience... but apply because all CA programs are quickly dwindling... at least until **** hits the fan again, like last year.

good luck!
    I'll believe that when I see it

Thread Information