Forum Member

Angry An opinion...Blowing off Steam....

Im a member of a couple of fourms( Firefighting in the New York State and City area) and they have an irritating habit of locking out threads and deleting posts. While I know that topics go off course all the time and there are many trolls out there, why is it that no explaination is ever given or notification to poster when stuff is deleted. I can live with a lock but, in between the lines is some useful information that may help with an issue or solve a problem.

I have also found that they have dozens of moderators who love throw there weight around (like a Mall cop). I feel that the discorse that occurs on this fourm and the others should be allowed to run its course. At least this site has a little p'nash when it closes one down.

Sorry for the rant......

PS, I have read all the sites TOS
    Last edited by Ltmdepas3280; 01-18-2009 at 10:18 PM.
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well..........

Mike, Good Point. I also post in other Forums, including TWD, IACOJ, and several "Regional" Fire sites, as well as others in Music and Motorsports. Size doen't seem to matter too much, they all have their Problems and "Problem Children". Activity among Moderators seems to vary, with some real "Forum Gestapo" people on one site, and nobody home on the other. One thing in Common on all of them is that someone OWNS the Site, and the Owner has the last word. Over time, any particular site will have it's ups and downs, the only thing is to try to put up with the bad stuff today, it will get better.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Harve, my issue with this practice is that the loss of content with in the fourm and no explaination. The fourms are public board...therefore some acceptance of out of control threads should be tolerated....otherwise charge people to be a member and use that has a control. George woundn't last one post on these two sites
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

Forum Member

You must be talking about EMTBRAVO.COM

Forum Member

BINGO.....and the upstate offspring
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

Forum Member

The fourms are public board
    No. Forums are controlled by the "owners" of the websites they belong to. And that gives the "owners" the right to moderate their forums anyway they want.

Of course, if they were like FH.com, that would mean an occaisional appearance every 6 months or so for 2 days.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    No. Forums are controlled by the "owners" of the websites they belong to. And that gives the "owners" the right to moderate their forums anyway they want.

Of course, if they were like FH.com, that would mean an occasional appearance every 6 months or so for 2 days.
    Feeling rather generous this evening aren't we Bones?
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

LTMDePas is right on the money here. He and I, among others, were involved in intellegent discussion; in-fact, I was the OP of the discussion that got locked-down. Not everyone agreed with everyone else on all of the points, but that's life, and that's how people learn from each other. Yesterday morning, I logged-in to see where the discussion had gone during the evening, and I was sickened. All that had taken place in the night was that the Internet Trolls logged-on, on BOTH sides of the discussion, and all they managed to do was degrade, insult, and name-call everyone involved.

I know how "tight" the Mods on that forum are about such foolishness and abuse, so I got off one "summary" post, and sure enough, the thread got locked-down shortly thereafter.

LT is correct. There should be an explanation when a thread is closed down. These forums are a great "virtual kitchen table", where we can all sit around, with our own strength of coffee (expresso or frappe, for those uppercrust FF's) in our mug, and solve - or at least BEGIN TO UNDERSTAND the problems and challenges that we face.

I've been in the fire service since 1972. I try to live that old expression to "make every day a training day", and these forums are just one more place that I learn. Our oportunity to learn shouldn't be needlessly shut-down by Mods reacting to low-life trolls.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Exactly!!!!!!.................

Quote Originally Posted by DFDCar1 View Post
    LTMDePas is right on the money here. He and I, among others, were involved in intellegent discussion; in-fact, I was the OP of the discussion that got locked-down. Not everyone agreed with everyone else on all of the points, but that's life, and that's how people learn from each other. Yesterday morning, I logged-in to see where the discussion had gone during the evening, and I was sickened. All that had taken place in the night was that the Internet Trolls logged-on, on BOTH sides of the discussion, and all they managed to do was degrade, insult, and name-call everyone involved.

I know how "tight" the Mods on that forum are about such foolishness and abuse, so I got off one "summary" post, and sure enough, the thread got locked-down shortly thereafter.

LT is correct. There should be an explanation when a thread is closed down. These forums are a great "virtual kitchen table", where we can all sit around, with our own strength of coffee (expresso or frappe, for those uppercrust FF's) in our mug, and solve - or at least BEGIN TO UNDERSTAND the problems and challenges that we face.

I've been in the fire service since 1972. I try to live that old expression to "make every day a training day", and these forums are just one more place that I learn. Our oportunity to learn shouldn't be needlessly shut-down by Mods reacting to low-life trolls.

YEAH!!.... What He Said!........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tough guys

Everyone is a tough guy on the internet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

The amount of hand holding at those sites is sickening. You say one thing that is considered an attack and it turns in to some BS with a bunch of fat guys who are at work and their job is not as a fireman.

Thread Information