Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Default 5 ton 6x6 Brush/Tender Truck

Had the truck outside today so I took a picture of our newest truck. This is an AM General 5 ton 6x6 with the 855 Cummins 250Hp. It has a 1200 gallon stainless tank with a 12" newton dump. The drop down compartment on the right side will hold a 1500 gallon dump tank when the budget allows for it. The pump is a Hale HP200. All stainless steel plumbing. It has a 2.5 Inch top fill. It has a sidewinder on the front. 150' of 1.5" in the hosebed. It has a 24' ladder and a 14' roof ladder. The one picture with the toolbox open below the drivers door shows the aluminum step we put on it to help get in.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

yup...we got one too...they are pretty sweet...ours is a '67 kaiser jeep with a cummins and an 1100 gallon tank...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Very sharp!

We have 3 two and a half tons....one a 1000 gallon tanker and the others 700 gallon heavy brush trucks.

We're retiring the tanker shortly, as soon as our pumper/tanker arrives (used) from New York.

One of the brush trucks has been retired and stripped, as the state gave us a new one ton.

The last one is technically a reserve, but plans call for stripping it of it's pump and equipment soon to refit a 5/4 4x4.

I'll kind of miss our "deuces", they're great trucks, but I won't miss the strange shift pattern or the noise in the cab (BTW, we had to put headsets in ours so the occupants could hear the radio).

Keep up the good work!
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Forum Member

i turn green with envy!

congratulations!

Forum Member

These trucks are great. Our is not as pretty as the OP, we just have a 1000 gal tank, electric dump valve, and Honda pump. But it will go through anything, and was very cheap to us.

Forum Member

Allison20 did you get your tank through the Arkansas Forest Service? Our Forest Service does not build trucks like some states do. Correct me if I'm wrong but dont' they use prisoners at the state penn. to build them. That is a good program. We have to build it our selves. They do provide grants which help. We got a grant for the Pump and the remote nozzle from the forestry. Local grant for the lights and radios. Boxes came off a truck we junked, hose reel was off a local city truck that the chief had bought for the chassis. I painted it my self with some paint that we got for free when a local manufacture went to powder coating. Still have about 30 gallons of paint left. Takes about 2-3 gallons of paint for one of these trucks. Used a harbor freight HVLP gun. Try to stretch the dollars as far as possible.

Forum Member

Hey NICK

We got a grant from them to buy the tank. We bought the old Duece threw them for $25, and we finished it. The tank itself was bought through Jon,s up in Springfield MO.

It only cost us some time and a couple grand on our part.

Thread Information