Forum Member

Default Apparatus Dedication Ceremonies?

Brothers and Sisters,
    I'm not sure if this post is in the right place or not, this is my virgin thread....
    We are currently awaiting arrival of a new engine, and would like to hold some kind of dedication service when it is ready to be put into service. Anyone have some suggestions? We are also taking delivery of our first aerial later this year. Doesn't have to be anything fancy or elaborate, just a little positive PR. Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

On one of my volunteer departments I was involved in we held a "housing" ceremony when we received our new engine. Basically we had speakers from the board and officers talk about the truck and we had a little dedication, then after the speakers we had the members of the department simulate pushing the truck into the station for it's first time.

Forum Member

Post Wet Downs!

Here in New Jersey we have new truck wet downs in the warmer weather, with maybe the mayor giving a speach, and fire officers. Then they sell tee shirts,and beer mugs, to cover the cost of a picinic. Some department will have the rig blessed by a clergyman !

Forum Member

just have something were the truck shows up, gets parked somewhere with space. Let the politicians do some jabbering (especially good if you had to do some wheelin and dealin with these folks) and let the community come out and see it. Thank them for their support, why this big expensive truck is good for the FD and the community's safety etc, etc...

Let the kids look around, let the politicians talk, and talk to the adults that have an interest and you should come away with people feeling good about the FD and forkin' all that money over.

Also if you're volly, good way to generate some interest in volunteering.

Forum Member

You gotta have a wetdown. Get your neighboring depts. to help. Set up a tower ladder arch and drive the truck under it as they spray the water, follwed by the engines and hose lines. Then let the local politicans talk.We follow up by having the capt's wife do the champagne on the bumper.
    Then have a picnic and sell t-shirts. All the depts. around here use ASI to design them(ASIWEAR.COM).

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Wet Down Ceremony

A "wet down" ceremony and all members pushing the new truck into the bay is traditional.

Forum Member

We will invite any community members that wish to attend the opportunity. The truck will arrive, another final inspection on a few items will occur, some paperwork will be signed. A priest will bless it (and us). I will give a short speech thanking the FD members for their continued service, thanks will go out to the community for their continued support. A few rides will be taken. Some food will be served. Nothing fancy and NO political BS.

The next day, training on the apparatus will begin.

Of course, that same year (2010) will be our 125th year, so there will be more celebrations throughout the year. Last "wetdown" we held was in early 90's. Was on the beach. Had a parade of over 200 trucks. Caused a traffic nightmare and was 2 blocks short of completely encircling the town. Was a long, long, long, fantastic day.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post

Of course, that same year (2010) will be our 125th year, so there will be more celebrations throughout the year. Last "wetdown" we held was in early 90's. Was on the beach. Had a parade of over 200 trucks. Caused a traffic nightmare and was 2 blocks short of completely encircling the town. Was a long, long, long, fantastic day.
    If that is what 2010 will be like for you boys in Pt. Pleasant Beach, I may have to make a trip out to Jersey! That sounds nuts!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

aww he popped his cherry

now are you talking about for the truck or the driver...
    we never really dedicate a tuck but we never let the guy whos first to do something to it forget...

the first to get it stuck
    the first scratch
    the first person to break something on it
    or my favorite, the first guy to hit something with it... we usually give the dented bumper at our annual banquet, always make for a good laugh.
    ~Big O~

Tankers have wheels and carry water, Tenders are breaded and served with BBQ sauce

(if you don't believe me Google it)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoosemanKBB527 View Post
    aww he popped his cherry

now are you talking about for the truck or the driver...
    we never really dedicate a tuck but we never let the guy whos first to do something to it forget...

the first to get it stuck
    the first scratch
    the first person to break something on it
    or my favorite, the first guy to hit something with it... we usually give the dented bumper at our annual banquet, always make for a good laugh.
    sounds like someone needs to invest some time and money into improvement of the driver/operator program.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Talking

And english as a second language classes. :-}

Forum Member

When we received our new Engine last year we pushed the old on out the back door and then new one in through the front door. Took pictures that we are going to hang in the station etc.
    The success of a fire department depends on the willingness of its members to put aside their differences and work for the benefit of the dept/community.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    sounds like someone needs to invest some time and money into improvement of the driver/operator program.

fire engine is just like any other work truck, it should become dented and scratched from heavy usage.

Our trucks get dented and scratch from us and from no fault of our own. That's what happens when a work truck is used and gets out of the bay.

Forum Member

seeing as a lot of roads in our district are on lane roads the were meant to have pickups go up and down them when you take a big ol truck down them the tree branches tend to be in the way, and mos of the dent happen during those driver training exercises that you speak of
    ~Big O~

Tankers have wheels and carry water, Tenders are breaded and served with BBQ sauce

(if you don't believe me Google it)

Thread Information