MembersZone Subscriber

Default Does being laid off from one good job ruin my chances?

I'm currently starting to apply to fire depts and feel I have a good background for employment exempt for one fault.

I've been a wildland firefighter for 5 years(FF1), Volunteer for almost three(Driver, Pumper Operator, High/Low Angle Rescue, HZMAT Ops, etc) , EMT-B for two, and have almost finish my A.S. degree in Fire Science/Tech and EMS-paramedic program, but was laid off/forced to resigned from the USFS due to personal reasons with a supervisor last year.

Will this ruin my chances for employment??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmcguffee View Post
    but was laid off/forced to resigned from the USFS due to personal reasons with a supervisor last year.

Will this ruin my chances for employment??
    What were the reasons?

Forum Member

This will most likely come down to you having to sit down with whoever is in charge of hiring and explain your situation.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

be prepared to explain yourself, hopefully your explanation is satisfying to them. I wouldn't stop trying because of it. seems like you have worked a few other places and hopefully have some good references from elsewhere.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have to admit, I made a few mistakes, and take full responsibility for them, but feel there were some other issues involved.

Over a period of a year, I was late to work 3 or 4 times, which resulted in multiple (2) write ups. The last straw was not in sleeping in late, but calling in for a day off to take care of a personal issue that needed immediate attention (I had almost 60 hrs of annual saved up at that point). Time wise, it was a very poor decision, though I hadn't been late in over 3 months.

What occurred was, at the beginning of the 2008 fire season, not my supervisor but my sups supervisor came down from the S.O. to talk to me about my performance over the winter, and to make sure I had my **** together for the upcoming season.

To say the least, it was not a good day to take off. He was very upset that I called in, said that I wasn't dependable, and gave me my termination papers. My own supervisor tried to stick up for me, but the sup is one of the main men on the forest and his decision was final. I was offered to resign or be laid off, so I resigned.

Also, the sup that laid me off is the uncle of one of the individuals I had on my crew, and we didn't have the best personal relationship by any means. Not to lame blame one way or the other, but our personalities, morals, and ethics just didn't match. Beside that, and fact that all this happened just two days before my probation period with this forest was up, is a bit of a coincidence and I assume all played a part in this.

I'm not trying to justify my actions(sleeping in), or say that he wasn't justified in laying me off, he was. I understand that, and take full responsibility. My concern is that will resigning from a governmental agency while working in a supervisory position affect me being hired with a career Fire Dept.?!

I see now that the underlying problem was that I was spreading myself too thin. I was working full time with the USFS, going to school full time, pulling 48-72 hr shifts a week as a sleeper, working part time on the ambulance, and trying to full-fill all my responsibilities such as drill and continued ed, along with responding to all calls at night (part of my sleeper agreement).

I've been trying for a long time to build my resume and gain experience, and am greatly concerned (down right scared actually) that this will ruin my chances of becoming a full time career firefighter/paramedic.

What do I do??

MembersZone Subscriber

Be honest on your applications as well as your interview. It was mistake on your part and you've owned up to it. It may hurt you but being deceitful about it will only deepen the problem. Most departments know that not everyone has an angelic background and manning up to your problems shows character. Good luck bro.
    -Rob
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you guys. I appreciate the advice and kind words. I'm trying to look at this in a positive view and as a learning experience.

I've since gone over my priorities and cut back on my work load but not on my schooling, since I feel that this should be my main priority.

Should I still be applying to Fire Depts this recent to the event or try to let time heal wounds??

Does time matter?

Forum Member

Layed off is what happens when an employer lets you go for business or financial reasons. Do not use this term to describe what happened as it is incorrect. You were fired or terminated. Or you quit in lieu of being fired/terminated.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Layed off is what happens when an employer lets you go for business or financial reasons. Do not use this term to describe what happened as it is incorrect. You were fired or terminated. Or you quit in lieu of being fired/terminated.
    I agree with nmfire.

You were given two options... one that allowed you to retain a modicum of your dignity, the other a blemish on your record.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Well unfortunately I think it will be a blemish either way. Just because he quit before he got fired doesn't erase the problems that led up to it. Either he admits what the problems were or the hiring agency finds out when they call to ask about his employment there. Either way, its going to be a problem at some point.
    Last edited by nmfire; 01-20-2009 at 03:53 PM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Again you guys are correct. I'm not here to try to cover up my faults or belittle my previous imployer. What happened happened. I made mistakes. I understand that and am trying to move forward in a positive light. A more appropriate title should have been "Does resigning in lue of termination ruin my chances".

I'm here because I want to see what I can learn from this experience and try to turn it into a positive. My father used to say "there never was a person so dumn you cant learn from them, even if its what not to do".

I guess what I'm really after is knowledge.

Can I still be a competitive applicant with a fault like this, or should I wait a year or two before applying to departments to show that I'm still a dependable and ethical person, and that I learned from my mistakes, based on my current and future work ethics??

I'll be honest with all my future "hopefull" departments and not try to hide or cover up my faults. I feel thats what character is made off. Everyone makes mistakes, but how you handle them, man up to them, and learn from them is what determines what type of person you are.

Many of you guys have a much broader and extensive knowlegde base that I do. Thats what I'm here for. To gain an insight into what would be the best coarse of action now.

Thread Information