Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Cal Fire - Suggested Units for First-Time Applicant?

Howdy All,

I'm finally ready to put in my first application with Cal Fire (CDF) and was wondering if anyone had any insight into which Units would be best to apply to as a first-time applicant. Mainly, are there certain Units that tend to hire more firefighters (especially first-timers) each season than others? I'm located in the SF Bay Area and am planning to apply to the local Units as well as those located up the coast and in the Sierras (i.e. Northern Units).

Also, I currently work as a reserve/volunteer with a county department and just earned my paramedic license - will these help improve my chances of getting hired as a seasonal?

Thanks all in advance for your replies and best of luck to you all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBhoy View Post
    Howdy All,

I'm finally ready to put in my first application with Cal Fire (CDF) and was wondering if anyone had any insight into which Units would be best to apply to as a first-time applicant. Mainly, are there certain Units that tend to hire more firefighters (especially first-timers) each season than others? I'm located in the SF Bay Area and am planning to apply to the local Units as well as those located up the coast and in the Sierras (i.e. Northern Units).

Also, I currently work as a reserve/volunteer with a county department and just earned my paramedic license - will these help improve my chances of getting hired as a seasonal?

Thanks all in advance for your replies and best of luck to you all.
    Well with Medic, your chances increase no matter where you are. I've heard (heard being the key word) that the Northern units just barely meet their hiring quota each year, while the Southern units are swamped. Just apply everywhere, the odds say you will get an interview somewhere, even if there is a bit of a commute.

Forum Member

Being a medic will help, but more on your supplemental than FF1 app. But it will still be extra points. The Northern units I have been involved in do not have problems meeting their hiring quotas. One popular one last year received 1600 apps and hired 50 FF's. The further out of the way you go, the better your chances are (LMU, Humblodt) but the more "out there" you will be. I would visit two engine stations and call around. A lot of FAEs and Captains who work at one engine stations go to the two engine houses in the winter. Bring a resume, wear a shirt with a collar, and ask questions. Also make sure the units you are interviewing at offer a 67 hour academy if you don't have your cert. If you dont have it, dont bother with Butte, NYP, Santa Clara, to name a few. I know Mendo, LNU, Humboldt offer one for new hires. Good luck.

Thread Information