Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Question Unheard fire alarms are not uncommon

Anyone heard of this "complaint" before? I know from experience that in older buildings the alarms may not be heard, but if the strobe and klaxon alarm that I've heard when I worked at the Embassy is anything to compare with.....

Unheard fire alarms are not uncommon

Times ColonistJanuary 19, 2009

Re: "Fire fatalities at decade high," Dec. 27.

A building resident expressed concerns that she didn't hear the alarm bells in the middle of the night. In older buildings, this is quite common. In any new building, the B.C. Building Code requires 75 decibels of alarm tone in each sleeping area, and 65 decibels everywhere else in the building.

Fire departments and property management companies have recognized the lack of safety in older buildings and have promoted upgrading to the current building code standards. Building owners have been very active in upgrading their old systems to newer, code-compliant systems. This entails installing individual mini-horns in each sleeping area to achieve the correct decibel level. This requirement is standard with all fire alarm upgrades.

New fire alarm systems greatly increase detection and notification in case of fire so that fire departments can intervene at an earlier stage. While a new system cannot prevent needless deaths caused by carelessness with fire, they can greatly improve the chances of survival for residents.

Kathleen Nicholas,

president

Sterling Fire

& Safety Services Ltd.

Victoria

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist
    =====

Never mind. I misunderstood the opening statement...... my bad. OOOPSS
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 01-19-2009 at 11:59 PM.

When in college, I slept through 3 alarms. (and it was NOT after a partying night)

What I notice, in the hotels in my town, are the hallways and common places have their alarms all tied into a system...one goes, they all go. But in the individual rooms...they have a separate system. 1 room goes, only that 1 room goes...and it does not even go to the front desk.

2 days ago, a LEO riding by a hotel heard the detector and called it in. On my arrival, the manager at the front desk wanted to know why I was there. Explained an alarm was going off in one of their rooms. They had no notice.

When asked...."why should we disturb everyone when it's only one room."
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information