Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Naked man escapes after Regina tanning bed bursts into flames

Naked man escapes after Regina tanning bed bursts into flames

By Karen Brownlee, leaderpost.comJanuary 19, 2009

Comments (1)

StoryPhotos ( 1 )

Firefighters work on putting out a fire at a Regina tanning salon.Photograph by: Karen Brownlee, Leader-Post

REGINA — A bigger person could not have escaped the tanning bed that went up in flames at a downtown Regina salon late this morning, says the man who squeezed out to safety after realizing something had gone very wrong.

Jason Viles was in the bed at Millenium Tanning Salon when something didn’t seem right. He heard a pop, saw some flames and knew he had to get out.

Unable to lift the lid, he had to push a stereo out of the way to push himself through a one-foot opening in the bed to get out. He then alerted staff member Jennifer Weber.

“A guy came in and said his bed was on fire,” said Weber, who was still shaking an hour later from the shock of the morning’s events.

She had been assisting a woman who had just come in for a tan when she thought she smelled something burning. She asked the woman if she smelled anything when Viles came in.

Weber went door to door telling other clients to get out. She called the fire department and then her boss to let him know about the fire.

While it is “likely” the tanning bed caused the fire, Regina Fire Department spokesman Grant Nicurity said crews were inside looking around for the cause.

“This is the first time we have had a call for a tanning bed in this city,” said Nicurity.

Certain certifications are required for tanning beds and hookups must be installed by a journeyman electrician, said Nicurity.

"There isn't any reason to believe that wasn't the case here."

No one was hurt in the fire, including Viles. He was looked over by emergency medical staff and left the scene for a time. All other business in the strip mall located at the corner of 13th Avenue and Albert Street.

kbrownlee@leaderpost.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 01-20-2009 at 10:24 AM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

WHEW! I thought for a few seconds there, that we were going to see pictures of the guy who escaped the fire.

Missed this on the first reading:

said Weber, who was still shaking an hour later from the shock

YA! Do ya think? LOL
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 01-20-2009 at 09:00 AM.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I would have posted the picture too, but I was just on my way to bed when I came across the story and didn't want to go through the time and hassle of saving and posting the picture.

I can't find the story now. Oh well, no more time to look as I'm off to the shower.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    WHEW! I thought for a few seconds there, that we were going to see pictures of the guy who escaped the fire.

Missed this on the first reading:

[/b]

YA! Do ya think? LOL
    You want to see pics of this guy or just guys who go tanning... Maybe you should look at EHarmoney.com

In the words of farmer fran..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwbUCI9bEvA

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    You want to see pics of this guy or just guys who go tanning... Maybe you should look at EHarmoney.com

In the words of farmer fran..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwbUCI9bEvA
    Sorry. I dont bend that way, but thanks for offering.

Forum Member

One of the best jobs that I EVER had was working the night shift in a gas station right outside Paducah Kentucky that had 8 tanning beds.I made $5.00 an hour at it and barely kept the rent up.
    What made it great was right across HWY 62 was a "massage parlor" and half a mile down the road in either direction were two strip clubs.
    The girls would come in after their shifts to count their money,tan, and argue over who stole whose dances,costumes or got into their little suitcases and money.
    The local SO would come in at midnight ostensibly to ensure that I was not selling beer after midnight but they were there to write reports,gas their vehicles and oogle the girls just like I was doing.
    The only time we'd shut the beds down would be during rain storms as the electrical system wasn't exactly wired up to take lightning strikes.
    When someone would complain about it,my stock reply was"If I let you use that bed during a rain storm and you got electrocuted,I'd be arrested for violating the 'Keep America Beautiful'Act of 1965." No matter what the woman looked like,that line worked like a charm.She'd toss her hair,smile and ask when I got off work.The guys I'd let tan even if we were taking direct hits;less competition that way.
    That led to the female manager(think Brooke Gordon with Windex(tm)blue eyes-uh excuse me a minute)believing that I was running my own private cathouse when she wasn't there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    I would have posted the picture too, but I was just on my way to bed when I came across the story and didn't want to go through the time and hassle of saving and posting the picture.

I can't find the story now. Oh well, no more time to look as I'm off to the shower.

Think about what you were thinking of posting and then going to the shower.
    Like the preacher told me at Confession last week,"Damned if I'd a said that,son."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    One of the best jobs that I EVER had was working the night shift in a gas station right outside Paducah Kentucky that had 8 tanning beds.I made $5.00 an hour at it and barely kept the rent up.
    What made it great was right across HWY 62 was a "massage parlor" and half a mile down the road in either direction were two strip clubs.
    The girls would come in after their shifts to count their money,tan, and argue over who stole whose dances,costumes or got into their little suitcases and money.
    The local SO would come in at midnight ostensibly to ensure that I was not selling beer after midnight but they were there to write reports,gas their vehicles and oogle the girls just like I was doing.
    The only time we'd shut the beds down would be during rain storms as the electrical system wasn't exactly wired up to take lightning strikes.
    When someone would complain about it,my stock reply was"If I let you use that bed during a rain storm and you got electrocuted,I'd be arrested for violating the 'Keep America Beautiful'Act of 1965." No matter what the woman looked like,that line worked like a charm.She'd toss her hair,smile and ask when I got off work.The guys I'd let tan even if we were taking direct hits;less competition that way.
    That led to the female manager(think Brooke Gordon with Windex(tm)blue eyes-uh excuse me a minute)believing that I was running my own private cathouse when she wasn't there.
    Tanning beds at a gas station?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BillST View Post
    Yes.Sad to say but the station has since closed as has one of the strip clubs and the massage parlor across the street.
    And they call it progress.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Think about what you were thinking of posting and then going to the shower.
    Like the preacher told me at Confession last week,"Damned if I'd a said that,son."
    Huh???????

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Of Course! How else can you get an oil change and a... uummm...err..... wax job... uummm ... err... Ah ya. Anyhow, back at the Ranch, the Lone Ranger....

Forum Member

I was surprised they even know about tanning beds in Kentucky...
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Of Course! How else can you get an oil change and a... uummm...err..... wax job... uummm ... err... Ah ya. Anyhow, back at the Ranch, the Lone Ranger....
    Instead of a "stop and rob" you get....

A rub and a tug and a fill up?

A fake bake, lube and wash, and a happy ending?

Lubed, screwed, and tatooed?
    Last edited by Dickey; 01-23-2009 at 06:46 PM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Leno did a bit about the tanning bed fire.

You guys are freaking hilarious lol.
    "...When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." Isaiah 43:2

Thread Information