Thread: Melted Helmets!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Burnt Helmets!

What's your story?

Anyone ever saved your a**?
    Last edited by grimfire; 01-20-2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Bad Choice of Words

IACOJ BOD

It melted.

I should never have left it on the heater.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Permanently Removed

Havent melted one yet. Just some damage to the side of one from teaching in an interior attack room.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've blistered a few, before the safety officer developes a tick, I believe that training fires are a good place for that to happen. Sure does **** off the Chief though.

are leather helmets better??
    Last edited by grimfire; 01-20-2009 at 01:27 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grimfire View Post
    I've blistered a few, before the safety officer developes a tick, I believe that training fires are a good place for that to happen. Sure does **** off the Chief though.

I'll just be sitting here with my popcorn and soda. This show oughta be good. Grimfire, you opened a can of worms with that statement. Its a long drawn out battle brewing. Now worries, should be entertaining.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by grimfire View Post

Wow, this ought to be good...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Permanently Removed

No, leather helmets are not better. They are extremely heavy and put un-due weight and pressue on the users neck over a life time.

Most Firefighters wont tell you this so they dont look like a pussy. Its those same FFs I see that have the leather helmets and take them off in the first 3 minutes of an incident or go to the roof of a building fire and take off such helmets and BAs. (The video in here somewhere)

Lastly- Wear a leather helmet your whole career and remember to come back here in 20+ and tell us about the continous neck and back pain that is stuck with you and you cant fully enjoy your retirement. Hope it was worth it.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 01-20-2009 at 02:17 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm a rookie on posting, you guys should have warned me, so what is your story, I know you guys have came out of fire and something was a little burnt. Come on I won't tell the Chief.

Note: Safety is of the most importance, and with the advancement of PPE we must be diligent to protect ourselves and each other.

Leather or Not?

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Lastly- Wear a leather helmet your whole career and remember to come back here in 20+ and tell us about the continous neck and back pain that is stuck with you and you cant fully enjoy your retirement. Hope it was worth it.
    Bou, I don't know any firefighters that have chronic neck and back pain secondary to wearing leather. Do you? And if so, how was it determined that the dead cow caused the pain and not bone disease or some other medical issue?

I wear leather at home, plastic at work, and don't find the leather to cause me any more uncomfort at the end of the incident than the 1010 does.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

The real question is: "Burnt helmet. So what went wrong?"
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

I have NEVER heard or read anything as to injuries due to wearing a leather helmet. I have NEVER heard or read anything that has to do with long term pain or disability from wearing leather helmets. They really do not seem that heavy when you are wearing them. Mine stays on pretty much the whole time. I take it off when I pack hose, though. This really is a touchy subject. Almost as bad a career vs. vollie.

To the OP, I've never melted mine. It can happen, but most of the time it is people being whackers and melting them on purpose.

MembersZone Subscriber

You are correct, should I change the thread.

My short story, Bullard helmet full face shield. While working a two story residential, my partner had to bail because of a SCBA malfuction. After he dove through a window to get to the front porch roof, my right leg went through the floor as I figured his plan was the best. That face shield (melted or burnt) and along with part of the outer covering of the helmet,the shield obstucted my view and the heat actually warped my SCBA face piece, and somewhere between the pucker factor, and oh my god I dove out the same window luckily landing on my partner.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Bou, I don't know any firefighters that have chronic neck and back pain secondary to wearing leather. Do you? And if so, how was it determined that the dead cow caused the pain and not bone disease or some other medical issue?

Like I said, it is common towards the end of your career. Some FFs I know have it sometimes in the middle. Most of the leathers I see are taken off during an incident.

I have worn leather before, it didnt do much for me. I had to lower my SCBA when I wanted to look up due to the brim hitting the top of my bottle. And no, I was not going to do the "Bronx Bend" because I needed that rear brim to channel the water away from me like it was designed. Go shut off a working sprinkler head and you'll know what I am talking about.

Hey tradition is nice, but I like function. I need all of my PPE to work. A helmet is best when it is light weight, balanced and comfortable.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    I have NEVER heard or read anything as to injuries due to wearing a leather helmet. I have NEVER heard or read anything that has to do with long term pain or disability from wearing leather helmets. They really do not seem that heavy when you are wearing them. Mine stays on pretty much the whole time. I take it off when I pack hose, though. This really is a touchy subject. Almost as bad a career vs. vollie.

Several thoughts-

-Ever visit a Chiropractor? I have and they share a lot of information.

-Ever talk to someone that has worn one and doesnt anymore. I have. They dont like the weight, pain and top heavyness of one.

-Ever talk to the people at Phenix Technology who make light weight leather helmets? I have and seen the report they have from several Chiropractors. Call them, they will fax it to you.

Keep in mind, your back, neck and spine were designed to hold up your head and head only. Straping on a heavy leather helemt compresses down on your spine. If youre new to the fire service, I got news for you. Most of us have bad or sore backs.

Hey- Do what you have to do to keep the tradition alive. I think in the end, when you retire, you'll wonder where the pay off is. I am not trying to be some safety cop here, I just like to listen, think outside the box and get the BIG picture. Tradition doesnt run my life or career. I am certainly not going to risk my health because someone likes to constantly spout off in my face- "TRADITION!" Give me a break.

Forum Member

What about lights and sirens for juniors? And also, what is better fog or smooth bore?

Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

If I light a cow on fire, will it melt or burn?

Or perhaps even turn to dust?

Your thoughts please....
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    If I light a cow on fire, will it melt or burn?

Or perhaps even turn to dust?

Your thoughts please....

I have seen them crack, burn, wear down and deteriorate.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 01-20-2009 at 03:27 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry guys, bad choice of words, just looking for few good stories, of some tight spots, strange calls or maybe some examples of the brotherhood, forgive me.

Stay Safe!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    The real question is: "Burnt helmet. So what went wrong?"

while trying to make my helmet look salty, i stuck it over the grill for a good roasting. I went inside to get some tongs so I could get an even grill over the helmet, but as I entered the house I hear the opening theme of Ladder 49. I sat down to watch only a couple minutes, but I soon became so enthralled by the action I watched the whole thing. After Ladder 49 was over I popped in my special edition Backdraft DVD. I fell asleep half way through that and awoke later in the evening to find a melted helmet and a ruined grill.

-e-

not attempting to derail, but this statement seems to contradict itself.

I have worn leather before, it didnt do much for me. I had to lower my SCBA when I wanted to look up due to the brim hitting the top of my bottle. And no, I was not going to do the "Bronx Bend" because I needed that rear brim to channel the water away from me like it was designed. Go shut off a working sprinkler head and you'll know what I am talking about.

So you won't give your back brim a bronx bend? But you will wear a metro helmet with a back brim shorter than a bobcats tail?
    Last edited by nameless; 01-20-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    not attempting to derail, but this statement seems to contradict itself.

So you won't give your back brim a bronx bend? But you will wear a metro helmet with a back brim shorter than a bobcats tail?
    Interesting point.

Forum Member

I have seen them crack, burn, wear down and deteriorate.
    I went through 5 nonleather (two salad bowls and three pleathers) before I got my first cow lid. 4 of them cracked, wore down and deteriorated. The 5th was stolen out of the rig at a medical call. They never burned, but I did melt off a few faceshields...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

No, leather helmets are not better. They are extremely heavy and put un-due weight and pressue on the users neck over a life time.

Most Firefighters wont tell you this so they dont look like a pussy. Its those same FFs I see that have the leather helmets and take them off in the first 3 minutes of an incident or go to the roof of a building fire and take off such helmets and BAs. (The video in here somewhere)

You are painting with a pretty broad brush here.

I know literally HUNDREDS of firefighters who wore leather helmets their entire careers who don't have back or neck problems.

If you don't like the leather, thats fine. But say that, not anecdotal information based on fiction.

One video of a firefighter taking off a leather helmet during an incident is hardly indicative of it's lack of usefullness.

If I show you a video of a firefighter wearing one more than three minutes into an incident, will they cancel each other out?

To each their own. But it is best to stick with facts.

MembersZone Subscriber

That's what I'm looking for, what kinda hell were you in when you "melted" your shield, blistered your helmet, and so on.

You like leather, pros and/or cons

We have the Ben II's

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    while trying to make my helmet look salty, i stuck it over the grill for a good roasting. I went inside to get some tongs so I could get an even grill over the helmet, but as I entered the house I hear the opening theme of Ladder 49. I sat down to watch only a couple minutes, but I soon became so enthralled by the action I watched the whole thing. After Ladder 49 was over I popped in my special edition Backdraft DVD. I fell asleep half way through that and awoke later in the evening to find a melted helmet and a ruined grill.
    Same thing, but I was watching Firehouse, starring Richard Roundtree.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

MembersZone Subscriber

How bout you johnny46, Captain Gonzo, I know you guys have good stories,

Leather HUH,

Who's got the best helmets?
    Last edited by grimfire; 01-20-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Thread Information