MembersZone Subscriber

Default Overtime call lists

I was wondering how everyone's overtime call list is set up.

We have some "grumblers" saying our list is not fair. It is set up by seniority, the person on the top is called if they do not accept they are moved to the bottom.
    Some people are wanting it set up so that if you don't accept you name stays at the top until you do.

Forum Member

here you call in the day before you want to work between 10am and 7pm and leave your name rank and badge number on voicemail. the station that makes the ot list gets the names and ranks of the people who called. (you have to call the station directly and give them your info before you are allowed to sign up for overtime. when you call the station, they assign you a number). that number stays the same until you get 12+ hours of overtime. when you get ot, you get the next highest number not yet in use. so basically, when you get overtime, you go to the bottom of the list, and if you don't get the overtime you keep getting higher on the list until you do. if you sign up for overtime and refuse it when offered, you're supposed to get no voluntary ot for 6 months I believe it is. you can call and take your name off the list if something comes up. it looks something like this:

27980 Firefighter Jones (phone number)
    27981 Firefighter Smith (phone number)

when FF Jones gets OT, his number changes to 27982. this is an extremely simplified example, but that's the gist of it. FF Smith may not sign up again for overtime for six months, so when he does, his number will still be 27981, but chances are most everyone else who is signing up a year later has numbers like 30000, so he will be at the top of the list. I'm sure this is confusing and I will clarify anything you have questions about.

Let's talk fire trucks!

We use Telestaff, which uses about 20 different factors to determine who's at the top of the list, with the priority being the last time that you accepted overtime. You only sign up for OT if you want to work it, if you don't, than you never get called.

Seniority does not play a role in our selection process.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firedog14 View Post

We have some "grumblers" saying our list is not fair. It is set up by seniority, the person on the top is called if they do not accept they are moved to the bottom.
    Some people are wanting it set up so that if you don't accept you name stays at the top until you do.
    We use the same system as you, except that if they cant get a hold of you then you stay in the same place. So most people if they dont want the OT they wont answer the phone. I would like to see it changed to an hourly based system, where they keep track of how many hours you work and your place in line is dependent on how many hours you worked.

Forum Member

We too use Telestaff, as unreliable and expensive as it may be. We have 3 types of OT.

First is immediate fill: If someone calls out after 15:00 the OT is offered to the person in the seat that created the OT, then it is offered to the other people on the unit in order of their rank on the OT list, then to the others at the station and then to the rest of the shift in order of their rank on the list. If no one on shift takes it then Telestaff calls all persons who meet minimum qualifications to work in the position, again based on your rank on the list. If no one accepts the OT the person in the seat gets mandatoried. The list is rotating in that when you accept OT you are moved to the bottom, if you do not accept then you do not move on the list.

The second type of OT is scheduled OT, meaning vacancies made by vacation or anticipated sick leave (ie. surgeries, births etc). Scheduled OT is filled by Telestaff and calls persons of the same rank by their position on the list. If no one in the rank accepts then it calls people who meet the minimum qualifications based on their place on the list.

The third is special detail OT and is done the same way as scheduled only their is a separate list just for special details.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firedog14 View Post

We used your current system for a long time. So guys would dodge phone calls at the station or not answer the phone at home. Then we switched to the proposed method. Then guys answered the phone, but no one would work OT when it wasn't "perfectly convenient". So now we are back to the original method.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter that much because our OT budge got executed during the last budget, and no one is getting any OT for any reason anymore.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ot

We have a very complicated system. We replace by Rank and classification. If you need a tailboard medic you hire off that list which is hours based and ties are broke by seniority. Officer for Officer, B/C for B/C. You get charged if you work the hours, you get charged if you don't work the hours, but you don't get charged if it is a day between shifts. (Guys threw a fit that you can't make me work more than 36 hours, but then regularly work 72 to 96 straight). With minimum manning we are in overtime almost everyday.

MembersZone Subscriber

We also use telestaff, our OT shifts are rank for rank hire. It's based on hours so the more OT hours you have the further down the list you move. But you only get OT if your signed up so if you have 120 hrs. and are signed up for Monday and then I sign up for Monday and I have 48 hrs. I will get the OT shift if one becomes available.

Forum Member

Everyone has a dept issued pager. OT hours are zeroed out at the start of the new year. OT is classified as Lt or FF.When OT is available a page is sent out to the appropriate members.A 30 min window is given for any interested parties to call in and have their name put on the interested list. When the time is up the person with the most seniority who called in gets the OT. As time goes on and people accumulate different amounts of OT hours the OT goes to whoever has the least amount of hours.

This is a very basic overview of our process. Believe me it is much more complicated than this. If you want more info PM me and i'll email you the whole headache.

Forum Member

Our overtime is based on hours. If you work an OT shift, your hours go in
    the book. If you refuse, your hours go into the book.

Holdovers do not get charged with OT hours if the holdover is less than 4 hours. Over 4 hours, it gets charted.

The offgoing shift is the group that gets the overtime. If everyone refuses, the firefighter or officer asked first gets ordered to stay. The firefighter or offficer ordered to stay can use the paging system to find a replacement and cannot leave until his/her relief is in.

A new hire assumes the highest hours of the Department, with the exception of those with specialty jobs within the FD, such as the arson unit, hazmat, Pub Ed, or the motor squad.

Those personnel who get promotions carry their hours into their new rank.

Overtime for hazmat drill coverage is done rank for rank.

Firefighters recalled for incidents do not get charged.

For special events that require a large amount of OT personnel.. calls will be made in advance based on the hours of the off duty shifts.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 01-26-2009 at 02:06 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Permanently Removed

You guys beat me to it- Telestaff is the best. Any department and buy it and modifiy it their needs.

My old FD would fill OT 7 days out giving the employee some notification. And OT was also filled the night before as needed.

Seniority, OT turn downs, zeroing out the year list should all be factors based on what your people agree on. I am not going to tell you what is the best way since your milage may very.

But I would make a system to where people cant whine and its fair to all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    You guys beat me to it- Telestaff is the best. Any department and buy it and modifiy it their needs.
    You guys must have some double top secret version of Tele***** or they just sell us Fla guys the lame duck version. That damn thing is ALWAYS screwing up. It gets stuck in a loop, crashes, or decides to make up its own parameters for calling constantly. We have all the latest upgrades and we still have problems with it that our IT dept says are not user errors. West Palm took it off line because they couldn't get it right, even with the help of the Telestaff people. Martin County I believe just got rid of it and went back to manually calling. The only good thing about it is the Webstaff feature which lets you access it from any computer with an internet link-up.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Permanently Removed

Hmmm....The version I used was "semi automatic". The department staff members ran the program and filled in the people to the needed spots.

If needed, I can refer anyone to a Chief in the Nor. Cal. area that is really good with the program and can help anyone with some recommendations, etc.

I am sorry about you expereince, its work awesome here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Ours is alot like slipperypete's, Central drops the tones, tells how many hrs, officer or FF, what station. Personnel call in and the selection is alphabetical. Fairly simple.
    "The most important part of our job is to go home to our families at the end of the shift"

MembersZone Subscriber

We tried Telestaff...was supposed to "do it all"...I think it was up and running (barely) for about a year before the department dumped it...

On to the question...

The on-duty Assistant Chief maintains an OT roster. You can opt in/out in January or July. At the very begining (which was a long, long time ago), they started with the most senior guy on the list and went down. If you decline, then you have to wait until they work through the entire list and come back to you. Not answering the phone is the same as declining.

The list doesn't start over every day. Where ever they stop on a given day is where they start the next day. This works well. The Chiefs keep the field fairly up-to-date on the next 15 or so on the list. If you want OT, you're aware of where they are on the list.

If they somehow made it through the entire 700 person roster, then OT becomes mandatory, starting with the least senior person on the list and moving up.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

MembersZone Subscriber

We've got 3 separate lists. One for nights, one for days, and one for details/partial shift coverage (service calls). The day and service call lists are set up by descending seniority--ie senior-most gets called first, and the night list is reverse seniority. You get marked whether you accept the OT or not; if it will cause you to work more than 24 hrs consecutively you can turn it down without getting marked. Calls start with the first blank space in the book, as opposed to always beginning at the top of the list.

Thread Information