MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Man Found With 2nd And 3rd Degree Burns

Man found burned in apartment with no sign of fire

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 (01-20) 17:52 PST Knoxville, Tenn. (AP)

Investigators are baffled as to how a man suffered second- and third-degree burns inside his apartment — even though the only sign of a fire was a candle in the bathroom. Knoxville Fire Department crews found the 56-year-old victim inside his apartment bathroom Monday afternoon with third-degree burns to his face and second-degree burns to his hands.

Officials say they knocked on the door of the unit at Cagle Terrace Apartments, and went inside when they heard someone moaning.

The man, who was not identified, was later taken to a burn center for treatment.

Fire officials say their investigation is ongoing.

Information from: WVLT-TV, www.volunteertv.com

Candle in the bathroom, burns to face and hands. Ideas/suggestions? Methinks perhaps he got a bit too close to the flame while applying aftershave. That would cause a flash flame, do lots of initial damage but leave little in the way of evidence. Just a thought based on personal experience from some years ago....
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 01-21-2009 at 11:06 AM.

Forum Member

Maybe he went tanning

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=105942

Naked man escapes after Regina tanning bed bursts into flames

By Karen Brownlee, leaderpost.comJanuary 19, 2009

Comments (1)

StoryPhotos ( 1 )

Firefighters work on putting out a fire at a Regina tanning salon.Photograph by: Karen Brownlee, Leader-Post

REGINA — A bigger person could not have escaped the tanning bed that went up in flames at a downtown Regina salon late this morning, says the man who squeezed out to safety after realizing something had gone very wrong.

Jason Viles was in the bed at Millenium Tanning Salon when something didn’t seem right. He heard a pop, saw some flames and knew he had to get out.

Unable to lift the lid, he had to push a stereo out of the way to push himself through a one-foot opening in the bed to get out. He then alerted staff member Jennifer Weber.

“A guy came in and said his bed was on fire,” said Weber, who was still shaking an hour later from the shock of the morning’s events.

She had been assisting a woman who had just come in for a tan when she thought she smelled something burning. She asked the woman if she smelled anything when Viles came in.

Weber went door to door telling other clients to get out. She called the fire department and then her boss to let him know about the fire.

While it is “likely” the tanning bed caused the fire, Regina Fire Department spokesman Grant Nicurity said crews were inside looking around for the cause.

“This is the first time we have had a call for a tanning bed in this city,” said Nicurity.

Certain certifications are required for tanning beds and hookups must be installed by a journeyman electrician, said Nicurity.

"There isn't any reason to believe that wasn't the case here."

No one was hurt in the fire, including Viles. He was looked over by emergency medical staff and left the scene for a time. All other business in the strip mall located at the corner of 13th Avenue and Albert Street.

kbrownlee@leaderpost.canwest.c om

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

I doubt this is the case in this story, but we have had more than one gang-banger kidnapped by rival gang members, doused in gasoline, put out in front of a fire station, and set on fire......OR dropped off out front after having been set on fire somewhere else.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Meth cook?

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Arsonist????
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Drunk who accidentally set his clothes on fire.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Thread Information