Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Guns Are Safe In The Hands Of Civilians Eh?

Toilet accidentally shot
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Last Updated: 14th January 2009, 3:44pm

CENTERVILLE, Utah ó The man escaped with a few cuts to his arm, but the toilet made out much worse.

Police say a manís gun fell out of its holster while he pulled up his pants after using the washroom at a Carlís Jr. restaurant Tuesday. The gun fired when it hit the floor and shattered the commode.

A few shards of porcelain cut the manís arm, and a woman in an adjacent restroom who was frightened by the noise reported she was having chest pain. Both people were checked at the scene and released.

Police say they confiscated the 26-year-old manís firearm while they review the incident.

The man had a weapons permit. No charges are being filed.

Ok... duck tuck and roll - while I still can!

Forum Member

Yes, guns are safe in the hands of responsible civilians who know what they are doing, just like medications are safe in the hands of properly trained paramedics, fire engines responding code 3 are safe with properly trained and responsible drivers behind the wheel and power tools are safe when used correctly . All have the potential to be deadly when not used by people who know what they're doing, happens every day. Do you think those items I listed should be banned? Morons are everywhere, they occupy all aspects of life. So whats your point here or are you just running your mouth?
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

Or how about all the cops supposedly trained in handgun marksmanship that cannot hit a Chevrolet Suburban sitting less than 3 feet away from the officer?
    As Ron White said in his"You Can't Fix Stupid" routine,there's a couple cops that need to be handed a roll of quarters and drop 'em off at the mall to play shoot'em up video games.
    The other day at the local Bass Pro Shop,I saw a couple Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency rangers at a hunting video game while I was perusing the dvd rack for more girls going catfish grabblin'.
    As I listened to them,I became aware that the game wasn't making too many "hit" sounds.
    I tried to keep from offering them a roll of quarters since I recognized them both from the local wildlife management area where I hunt but could not.
    If you've never been hit for a hunting license check in a sporting goods store,this was one way to do it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Or how about all the cops supposedly trained in handgun marksmanship that cannot hit a Chevrolet Suburban sitting less than 3 feet away from the officer?
    As Ron White said in his"You Can't Fix Stupid" routine,there's a couple cops that need to be handed a roll of quarters and drop 'em off at the mall to play shoot'em up video games.
    The other day at the local Bass Pro Shop,I saw a couple Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency rangers at a hunting video game while I was perusing the dvd rack for more girls going catfish grabblin'.
    As I listened to them,I became aware that the game wasn't making too many "hit" sounds.
    I tried to keep from offering them a roll of quarters since I recognized them both from the local wildlife management area where I hunt but could not.
    If you've never been hit for a hunting license check in a sporting goods store,this was one way to do it.
    So you feel like it is a reasonable comparison? A firearm and a video game? You really do? Have you ever even touched a real gun?
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

If you're looking for things that aren't safe in the hands of civilians, why aren't you starting with cars?

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    If you're looking for things that aren't safe in the hands of civilians, why aren't you starting with cars?
    You'll have maybe noted the sarcastic humour from the very bottom statement of my original post? While not very likely due to designs in security features built into the holster, it could have happened to anyone, including someone who uses small arms for employment reasons. As I say though, not very likely, just posssible.

The question of course begs to be asked: Why was the weapon not properly secured into the holster? But then thats a whole new other topic.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

My favorite stories are the police officers (who fire their weapons once a year around here to qualify) who shoot themselves in teh foot or leg during a firearms safety class.

Often times it is the chief of police which makes it even funnier because I see those same police chiefs calling for more restrictions against citiens LEGALLY owning a firearm.

But you cannot fix stupid - as it has been said before.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    You are absolutley correct. I read stabbing's are on the rise. Should we have a federal background check and 7 day waiting period on all knives and other potential sharp instruments such as screwdrivers,scissors and pencils?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    My favorite stories are the police officers (who fire their weapons once a year around here to qualify) who shoot themselves in teh foot or leg during a firearms safety class.

Often times it is the chief of police which makes it even funnier because I see those same police chiefs calling for more restrictions against citiens LEGALLY owning a firearm.

But you cannot fix stupid - as it has been said before.
    Yeah, isn't it great? A brother or sister public safety officer sustaining a serious injury in the line of duty?

You are a despciable human being.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    So you feel like it is a reasonable comparison? A firearm and a video game? You really do? Have you ever even touched a real gun?

George,there is a Ron White comedy routine on his "You Can't Fix Stupid" cd about a violent video game with realistic looking guns attached that some maroons were claiming were teaching kids to shoot people and how he suggested that a couple Ohio State Troopers be dropped off at the mall with a roll of quarters each to play that game since they had emptied their service pistols at a Suburban less than 5 feet from them,missing with two full magazines each.
    And yes in real life,I DID see a couple TWRA officers in a Memphis Bass Pro Shop playing a hunting video game and missing. A lot.
    Because of the aforementioned Ron White skit and being an all around smart alec,I could not keep from offering them some more quarters as they left the dvd/video game are and so I DID get hit for a license check inside a Bass Pro Shop.
    Yes,I touch firearms on a daily basis.When I leave the house,I make sure that mine are in a locked cabinet and when I return,I take one out for home defense and load it.
    Once a week,I get out to RangeUSA ( http://www.rangeusa.com )and enjoy a couple hours of making loud noise with one or two of my guns.So people do not think that I am a total "revolvers only axehole" as one range mate called me,I've even rented a Glock in .40 "short and weak" and I am thinking about renting an AR-15 if I can convince the cashier/range safety officer to have the good taste not to mention it to mutual acquaintances.(I prefer the M 14.AR 15s are poodle shooters)
    Since I haven't returned to work despite a doctor's clearence to do so,I still have plenty of time to hit the local wildlife management area with a shotgun and reduce the squirrel and rabbit population.The only deer hunting I've done this season was with a crossbow,which doesn't really count.
    So,you see,I am familiar with firearms to the point that I even admit the two unintentional discharges that I have had which put holes into two different ceilings.The way I see it,there are two types of gun owners:those who have had an unintended shot be fire from their firearms,and those who are going to.
    Last edited by doughesson; 01-22-2009 at 11:49 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    The question of course begs to be asked: Why was the weapon not properly secured into the holster? But then thats a whole new other topic.
    From what I understand,he was complying with the Blue Collar Comedy Tour rule of "Stand up on the bus,sit down in the hotel and truck stop" and was seated without removing his holster belt to hang on the door.If he was a cop,I could see not wanting to undo all those belt keepers.
    I've heard anecdotes of a few female cops that fail to observe that precaution which caused their duty sidearm to go skittering across the ladies room floor.
    Civilians have different carry modes than cops,most often having to conceal that they are carrying even with a CCDW.
    Kentucky is my favorite because you don't need a permit to carry at all.Just strap on your holster in the open,drop in your favorite handgun and go.Rest assured,you WILL meet members of the local law enforcement community who will want to verify that that is your firearm and not someone else's that was stolen recently.
    Alaska and Vermont don't even require permits at all concealled or open carry.How high are those states crime rates?

I got what ya meant, but that's still quite a stretch. You got 12 year old kids who kick butt all day at Call of Duty, to think they would kick butt all day at the range over those who fire real guns all the time, is a bit of a stretch, and in my opinion, not too good of a comparison ( video games vs. RL ).
    The quarters thing is a funny joke and if it were me, I would've taken it as one and not busted your balls.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AZLawDawg View Post
    I got what ya meant, but that's still quite a stretch. You got 12 year old kids who kick butt all day at Call of Duty, to think they would kick butt all day at the range over those who fire real guns all the time, is a bit of a stretch, and in my opinion, not too good of a comparison ( video games vs. RL ).
    The quarters thing is a funny joke and if it were me, I would've taken it as one and not busted your balls.

Well,even a .22 has recoil which is not simulated by games,nor do the "bullets" have a trajectory but the principal of lining up sights is the same.If they do it right the first time,they will probably hit and won't have to go through that hard recoil again.They could even get scared of the noise and drop the gun, leaving some good evidence behind,right?
    And I agree.There are far too many game wardens without a sense of humor.As long as someone isn't trying to take too much game or get out of a license check,have fun with it! LAUGH! Any fire or police shift can be too full of heartache to want to be serious all day.

MembersZone Subscriber

George,there is a Ron White comedy routine on his "You Can't Fix Stupid" cd about a violent video game with realistic looking guns attached that some maroons were claiming were teaching kids to shoot people and how he suggested that a couple Ohio State Troopers be dropped off at the mall with a roll of quarters each to play that game since they had emptied their service pistols at a Suburban less than 5 feet from them,missing with two full magazines each.
    And yes in real life,I DID see a couple TWRA officers in a Memphis Bass Pro Shop playing a hunting video game and missing. A lot.
    Because of the aforementioned Ron White skit and being an all around smart alec,I could not keep from offering them some more quarters as they left the dvd/video game are and so I DID get hit for a license check inside a Bass Pro Shop.
    Yes,I touch firearms on a daily basis.When I leave the house,I make sure that mine are in a locked cabinet and when I return,I take one out for home defense and load it.
    Once a week,I get out to RangeUSA ( http://www.rangeusa.com )and enjoy a couple hours of making loud noise with one or two of my guns.So people do not think that I am a total "revolvers only axehole" as one range mate called me,I've even rented a Glock in .40 "short and weak" and I am thinking about renting an AR-15 if I can convince the cashier/range safety officer to have the good taste not to mention it to mutual acquaintances.(I prefer the M 14.AR 15s are poodle shooters)
    Since I haven't returned to work despite a doctor's clearence to do so,I still have plenty of time to hit the local wildlife management area with a shotgun and reduce the squirrel and rabbit population.The only deer hunting I've done this season was with a crossbow,which doesn't really count.
    So,you see,I am familiar with firearms to the point that I even admit the two unintentional discharges that I have had which put holes into two different ceilings.The way I see it,there are two types of gun owners:those who have had an unintended shot be fire from their firearms,and those who are going to.
    Yeah, I get the joke.

But insinuating that these officers are bad shots with their duty weapons because they are bad at playing video games is the same as saying my 11 yoa son is an expert with a fully auto rifle because he is good at Call to Duty. It doesn't make sense and it sullies an otherwise serious discussion.

And I guess your characterization of gun owners with unintended discharges must only be true in Redneck Land. I have never had an unintended discharge and I never will. I do not know a single gun owner who has had one either.
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 01-22-2009 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    You'll have maybe noted the sarcastic humour from the very bottom statement of my original post?
    So much for tongue-in-cheek, eh?

Well,even a .22 has recoil which is not simulated by games,nor do the "bullets" have a trajectory but the principal of lining up sights is the same.If they do it right the first time,they will probably hit and won't have to go through that hard recoil again.They could even get scared of the noise and drop the gun, leaving some good evidence behind,right?
    And I agree.There are far too many game wardens without a sense of humor.As long as someone isn't trying to take too much game or get out of a license check,have fun with it! LAUGH! Any fire or police shift can be too full of heartache to want to be serious all day.
    You really are a tool.

Don't waste your time George.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    You really are a tool.

Don't waste your time George.
    Y'all need to listen to more Ron White to get the reference that I was making.It was a JOKE.As before,laugh about stuff that outsiders won't find funny.
    As to being a tool,I'll give you my doctor's number.She's seen it enough I can use her for a reference.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post

And I guess your characterization of gun owners with unintended discharges must only be true in Redneck Land. I have never had an unintended discharge and I never will. I do not know a single gun owner who has had one either.

Give it time.I am among the most careful gun handlers I know and if I admit to having screwed up,how far behind me can you be?
    If you think only rednecks own firearms and could possibly screw up,what does that make you?

MembersZone Subscriber

Give it time.I am among the most careful gun handlers I know and if I admit to having screwed up,how far behind me can you be?
    If you think only rednecks own firearms and could possibly screw up,what does that make you?
    I never said that "only rednecks own guns". What I was saying (light must be bad in the trailer there, huh?) is that your definition of gun owners must apply only to people in Redneck Land, as it doesn't apply to a single person I know.

BTW, it makes me a careful and responsible gun owner. I won't screw up because I am extremely cautious and careful.

MembersZone Subscriber

Y'all need to listen to more Ron White to get the reference that I was making.It was a JOKE.As before,laugh about stuff that outsiders won't find funny.
    As to being a tool,I'll give you my doctor's number.She's seen it enough I can use her for a reference.
    Ron White's funny.

You're not.

Thread Information