Permanently Removed

Default Venting spanish roof tiles, Part 2... w/video

BACK TO BASICS- This has always been one of my favorite topics- Ventilation. Mix in the the slippy spanish roof titles and its a long, nasty job.

My hats off to LA County Fire, CA. Awsome, clean job in this video. Looks like it was sledge hammer time first.

LA County structure fire, CBS News live raw video.

What do you think?
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 01-21-2009 at 04:13 PM.

Forum Member

I think I'm glad there is only 1 house in my area with those roof tiles.

They don't look like fun to work on.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Good vent. Looks like 16" on center. Didn't see many broken tiles except right where they cut the hole. Curious if they sounded their way over to where they cut. I'm sure I just can't see them due to the video quality on my computer.

Forum Member

Looks like the busted up tile poses a fall hazard. Would defiantly give you a headache to have that land on your head.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    Curious if they sounded their way over to where they cut.
    Awesome point! This is why I love talking about this stuff. Im going to assume they didnt, but still walked the strong points- rafters, etc.

Forum Member

While preparing to go up to vent these roofs I always remember the video of the Phenix Fireman that fell through.

Forum Member

I HATE tile.Not very many of them around here.We use a sledge then a power saw to open them up.That's a real nice hole in the video,bet the attack crew was happy. T.C.

Forum Member

be careful when "breaking" them up with a sledge or axe, it makes lots of rocks and pebbles for you to slip on. You can lift the edge of the tiles and they will break off at the head.

Also you may encounter these types of roofs with a synthetic or rubber tile. You will not be able to break these up. again, lifting them at the edge with a hook or halligan will do the job

Forum Member

Did anyone notice the pumper took the address? The truck parked sideways to access the roof. Those tiles look horrible. Makes me glad we don't have any.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Leatherhed,The majority of ours are slate.Somewhat different than California tile.Hit 'em with a sledge,they come off in big chunks.Just don't cut for s**t with a saw so they gotta go. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 01-22-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Permanently Removed

Dont know if anyone mentioned it yet, but these tiles are slippery when dry. Add in a leaking hoselines and its like snot up there.

But we can all agree on...Venting is fun!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherHed4Life View Post
    be careful when "breaking" them up with a sledge or axe, it makes lots of rocks and pebbles for you to slip on. You can lift the edge of the tiles and they will break off at the head.

Also you may encounter these types of roofs with a synthetic or rubber tile. You will not be able to break these up. again, lifting them at the edge with a hook or halligan will do the job
    This is the technique we use on the truck I work on. We typically do not break all of them up with a sledge. Just creates more of a hazard. Use the pick of an axe or roofmans hook and they come right up.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    This is the technique we use on the truck I work on. We typically do not break all of them up with a sledge. Just creates more of a hazard. Use the pick of an axe or roofmans hook and they come right up.
    Wish someone had a short video or picture of this.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

We have things all over our area and yes, they are a pain in the a**. And if it wasn't hard enough before, the new wind codes say that each tile now has to be nailed on, not just every so many or a little grout as before. It wasn't as bad when all you had to do was pull a couple up and start cutting.

These tiles are one of the reasons we use PPV as much as we do.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks like LA County did a great job!

Here in Phoenix this is a big issue. Most of you have probably seen the video of one of our FF's falling through a tile roof.

With an attic fire, the roofing material can burn away while there is just enough strength left to support the tile. One wrong step and you fall straight through.

We have a large roof prop down at the academy with with spanish tile. One method that seems to work well is to push the tile up with the dull end of your pike pole.... the tiles that aren't nailed move up pretty easily. This creates an area that can be sounded. You do this every few feet until you reach the point where you want to cut. You and another firefighter can then pick up the tile and stack it around that area.

So far it seems to work well, but it's not quick. We've also trained with penetrating nozzles... one swing and they go right through the tile and roofing material. Obviously that won't ventilate, but it puts out a decent attic fire pretty quick as long as ceiling hasn't been pulled inside.

Permanently Removed

I have been looking for a picture of this for years and finally found one-

MembersZone Subscriber

Man those look like a huge pain in arse. Glad we don't have anything like that in my area.

I wonder, even if you tried to sound it out as you go, would you get a false sense of security because they look thick enough to support themselves even if the rafters were gone below them. Like BKDRAFT said, all I can picture is the video of the guys falling in from Phoenix.

The one thing that we have around here that is comparable to this type of roofing is steel roofs. Boy howdy are those things slippery when wet, like a ski hill with snow on them.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

These are bad roofs.

We have some but have a load of slate roofs! They are just as bad as well.

IACOJ BOD

Jason.

I hate that shyte, and we got loads of it.

The main problem is the one we had two nights ago with extension into the roof space, the bloody steel comes with a lovely silicon coating on it when new.

Renovated house + new roof iron + water = ice rink tipped on an angle.

Mongrel of a stuff to work on which is not helped by the current trend of using screw in fasteners as opposed to the old nails.

We are now looking at one of the Sthil chainsaws for cutting the stuff up instead of lifting sheets.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes Kiwi, the new stuff coming out here has a silicone or even teflon coating to protect the color from fading and to let snow and ice run off better. It just makes the firefighters run off better too!!! Very dangerous stuff indeed. It also gives you a false sense of security as the tin will stay in place even after a structure collapse. The only good thing is the discoloration in the hot spots so you can actually "see" the hole from the charred or heated paint.

Hey Bou...I assume you guys break up those things with a hammer or lift them up to get down to the material to cut right? You don't cut through them do you?
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information