Default looking for some advice

I was just recently elected president of my explorer post. Outside of asking those in the post what they would like to see changed or what they like about the post, I would like an outside oppinion as well. So what do you like about your post whether its explorers or not? What would you change if you could? What would you like to see your officers do more of? Any other advice is appreciated too. Thanks in advanced everyone.

Forum Member

I would like to see my officers lead, and not make everything a popularity contest, as well as share responsibilities. Just because you are the Capt does not mean you do everything and are always in charge. Lts also need to let their squad members take charge. I would think that the explorers run them selves and are self motivated. Do things outside of fire fighting- go camping as a group, rock climbing or teamwork drills, these events have made my group closer and work together better.

Forum Member

Just a general statement.....

Advisors need to let the post officers lead. The BSA encourages youth run organizations (troops, posts, crews(venturing)) and many explorer posts do not realize this. It teaches valuable leadership lessons and the advisors should only step in in the name of safety.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

congrats dude, one big thing is to watch your authority levels. there is a fine line between powertrip and command. I recommend making a training schedule and getting it approved from the captain of each shift on that night (or day) you meet. Like EMS for X so many weeks, then ladders and so on. then after training on that certain topic or set of skills, test them. If you guys have ride/along training to get on the rigs incorporate that into the schedule, there are sooo many more opportunities and learning experiences on the calls, in the station, on the rig then for a few hours with some other explorers. if you want any more ideas/ have any more questions shoot me an email.

just to clarify I am an explorer myself. And thanks for the ideas, keep em coming

Thread Information